Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant leaving before court case

Hello
    I'd like some information of the best way forward with my tenant, and his partner.
    He was served s8 in Mar due to 3 mths rent being unpaid, we are due in court 24/6/10, now 6 mths unpaid rent, he contacted my stepmum (acting agent for me as I was abroad at the start of his tenancy) yesterday morning to say he is vacating the property (& removing all his furniture) tomorrow and leaving the keys through the letterbox. He has not lived there for 2 months, although his furniture was inside, and someone else is collecting their mail. (Neighbours told us)

Does this mean I can access the property after this?

Can the court issue a CCJ against him, not knowing a forwarding address?

Do I need something in writing stating his intention to leave? Do I have to go there with it, to get such a declaration? And does it stand up in court?

He does not answer his mobile or answer any emails from us regarding unpaid rent, and I recently found out, they did this at their last abode, with several debt collectors chasing that address for money.
    They are also using several different names which makes it difficult to chase them.
    I really appreciate any help with this.

Does this mean I can access the property after this?

I am no expert but I suggest you wait until he has left with all his stuff. My understanding is while his furniture is there technically he still lives there.

Did you not get a forwarding address when you signed the AST?

Do I need something in writing stating his intention to leave? Do I have to go there with it, to get such a declaration? And does it stand up in court?

I would not waste your time in getting it in writing the fact his not paid rent is enough. Also remember you are taking him to court to evict him for unpaid rent, that should be enough for the judge. Plus he has a bad history.

From the sounds of it, this guy has played the usual game, hang in there until the last days before the court date. He knows the score and how to play the system, that is why he said his moving out as he knows if it goes to court then he has had it.

This is the exact reason why Tenants get a bad name and then blame landlords!

Comment

Originally posted by mop121 View Post

Did you not get a forwarding address when you signed the AST?
      Huh? A forwarding address when you sign an A.S.T?
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Thank you for those replies..

I, unfortunately didnt get a forwarding address as my stepmum handled the tenancy agreement.
        When they contacted her yesterday they seemed to be under the impression that they had to be out tomorrow (maybe confused 14th with 24th, date of hearing)
        Does this mean a CCJ cannot be ordered?
        There are several debt collectors knocking at the door already (neighbours evidence) and the police.
        You are correct when you say, they are practiced at this game.

Kind regards

Comment

The forward address is something I do, not sure if anyone else does but worth doing it next time.

Not sure about the CCJ though, I dont see why you cant after all they owe you money but I know if you fast track them out you cannot go after them for monies owed. Read the section 8 guides, also I find if you give one of these debt collector companies a call for some advice they might be able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jinty1967 View Post
            Does this mean a CCJ cannot be ordered?
            No problem with obtaining the CCJ but enforcing it - ie actually getting the money - will be difficult without an address...

Comment

Still unsure if I can legally enter the property if they have left keys and taken all furniture, is oral notice sufficient?
              Will still go to court for CCJ against them, for unpaid rent. Have put a trace on them (findermonkey) so hope to get a forwarding address by then.

Comment

If you put 'abandonment notice' into the search facility you will be able to get some ideas on what you should be doing. Do not just enter and take possession without following the advice there because it could lead to problems, especially if, as you suspect, the tenant is clued up on the regulations.
                I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

thank you soooo much for that, I willl check it out first..re. abandonment scenario

Comment

After looking at abandonment notices, I am unsure if it can be classed a such, as they verbally gave their notice on Saturday (2 days ago) to quit today....does this still require the required month (in a written notice) before I enter legally?
                    They are surrendering their keys today through the letterbox.

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
                      If you put 'abandonment notice' into the search facility you will be able to get some ideas on what you should be doing. Do not just enter and take possession without following the advice there because it could lead to problems, especially if, as you suspect, the tenant is clued up on the regulations.
                      Do not just enter and take possession without following the advice there because it could lead to problems, especially if, as you suspect, the tenant is clued up on the regulations.
                      They were given notice to quit as per S8 in March, does this not count?

Comment

They were given notice to quit as per S8 in March, does this not count?
                        No it does not! The only way to be sure is to have a possession order and enforce it with bailiffs. BUT, if you follow the abandonment procedures you will be reasonably safe against a charge of illegal eviction. Read some more about it, especially the posts by Jeffrey and Lawcruncher.

If you do get the keys back today try and get them to sign a 'surrender'.
                        Last edited by jta; 14-06-2010, 07:45 AM. Reason: ....to say-if...
                        I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Today I was informed by my tenant that a deed of surrender would be signed by him and also he is willing to sign a disclaimer to 'award' me the deposit in lieu of rent owed. (so kind of him!) Is this legal? £225 deposit does not cover the £2700 owed, and what do I get him to sign to state he does not want the deposit?
                          I'm worried that the deposit will end up tied as I have no forwarding address or way of contacting them.
                          Nightmare..

Comment

Today I was informed by my tenant that a deed of surrender would be signed by him and also he is willing to sign a disclaimer to 'award' me the deposit in lieu of rent owed. (so kind of him!) Is this legal? £225 deposit does not cover the £2700 owed, and what do I get him to sign to state he does not want the deposit?
                            I'm worried that the deposit will end up tied as I have no forwarding address or way of contacting them.
                            Nightmare..
                            If you have protected it in the DPS, give them a call, I am sure there is some sort of form you both have to fill in, so have the tenant sign it with you there. The £2700 he owes you still have to take him to court. You can use agenies that will track him down at a small cost.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Agreement for friends to live in my house
                              by CStevens
                              You might as well grant them an Assured Shorthold Tenancy ('AST')because, unless you charge them less than £100 a year, it's going to be deemed to be an AST in any case. Perhaps grant it for 2 years then it can be a rolling periodic for the 3rd year if needed. Friend or not though you are going to...
                              27-05-2022, 06:06 AM
                            • Agreement for friends to live in my house
                              by Tippy
                              I cannot find a definitive answer to my question by googling so here goes.

I have a house that I wish to allow a family who are close friends to live in while I live abroad as UK non-resident. I am trying to work out what sort of contract I should make between us.

I don't mind...
                              26-05-2022, 08:48 AM
                            • Ending contract with letting agent
                              by Shorif908
                              Hi All,

Long story short, my agent of the last 18 months we have decided to depart ways.

I have most documents the only thing I don't have is documents related to the DPS.

I dont have the certificate so I dont know the deposit ID. The estate agent claims that...
                              27-05-2022, 05:50 AM
                            • Reply to Would you buy a tenanted property?
                              by DoricPixie
                              As jkpeates points out it would not. Is this going to be your first rental property and have you done any research into what being a landlord entails? Please don’t just say you’re going to use a letting agent....
                              26-05-2022, 23:04 PM
                            • Would you buy a tenanted property?
                              by artin
                              Hi

I'm looking to buy a maisonette to let as investment. It 's currently rented on AST contract, until April 2023. So ongoing tenancy.

Is it advisable to do such, buy a tenanted property?

Thanks
                              26-05-2022, 12:30 PM
                            • Reply to Electric inspection issue
                              by Plumbob
                              My family have owned the little bungalow for over 65 years and it's been rented out for the last 10 since my father died. And yes it was completely rewired in 2021. Bizarre request as the agent has the latest test certificate....
                              26-05-2022, 22:05 PM
                            • Electric inspection issue
                              by Plumbob
                              We have literally just relet our bungalow. The agent who handled the new let and the previous one, which only lasted a year due to the tenant having to go to a care home, asked for the initial inspection report from 10 years ago to apparently check against the new one done in May 21 . The whole place...
                              26-05-2022, 07:53 AM
                            • Reply to Access to neighbouring property act.
                              by Plumbob
                              I have asked the neighbour politely several times and so has my gardener but just got a tirade of foul language as apparently she doesn't want to look at the flank wall of my bungalow and prefers the ivy. I cannot access the area between the wall of the house and the boundary fence as it's only 500mm....
                              26-05-2022, 21:58 PM
                            • Access to neighbouring property act.
                              by Plumbob
                              Has anyone successfully used the act for the purpose it is designed for please? Did the court action take forever to obtain the judgement? I'm about to get notified by my solicitor that we need to go to court to be able to cut the huge ivy growth on the flank wall growing up over the roof now. T I ...
                              26-05-2022, 12:50 PM
                            • Government handouts to tenants or landlords
                              by AndrewDod
                              Here is another bit of pending legislation/government spittle that has been ill thought through.

My kid has a tenancy which includes Council Tax and Energy as part of the rent. Her rent has gone up a lot as a result of increased cost of these inclusions.

Now after the fact...
                              26-05-2022, 21:42 PM
                            Working...
                            X