Tenant wants me to pay for her "consequential loss"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    I still don't see why as a lexical item its use can be viewed as an indicator of low social class!
    My impression was that it was being perceived as being the other way round (ie an indicator of 'poshness' - see TAB thread!) but who knows...?

Comment

No, keep up, Eric! 'biglouis' has already decided I come from 'a cheap council estate' (#48) and my use of the phrase prompted this ejaculation (!):

Originally posted by biglouis View Post
      mealy-mouthed

What a delightful expression. Clearly we come from very different social classes.
      He seems to have decided that I - and my use of English -are a bit chavvy, in other words!
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

maybe he means that he would never use such eloquent and upper crust ejeculations and that he is indeed the chav in this discussion.....
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
          maybe he means that he would never use such eloquent and upper crust ejeculations and that he is indeed the chav in this discussion.....
          I am in France at the moment and I have just discovered they have chavs here, too! Sadly, they are no more chic than British ones.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

comment est-ce qu'on peut dire "chav" en francais, attention au trou?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
              comment est-ce qu'on peut dire "chav" en francais, attention au trou?
              Je ne sais pas. Je n'ai pas ose leur demander. Ils avaient l'air vilain.

(Excuse lack of accents - how do you do them on a laptop with no numbers at the right hand side, only at the top?)

Comment

I am in France at the moment and I have just discovered they have chavs here, too! Sadly, they are no more chic than British ones.
                Ah, vive les chavs, avec leurs liftings de Croydon, les cheveux de lin faux, et la mode de Burberry.

Comment

Excuse lack of accents - how do you do them on a laptop with no numbers at the right hand side, only at the top?)
                  Windows' "Character Map" tool - in XP it's usually under All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools; or else fire up Word and create a temporary document and use Insert Symbol to enter an accented character, which is just copy'n pasted into into your post.

Comment

Good advice but time consuming...if you are in a hurry don't bother MTG - we are amazingly intelligent here and can usually work it out!

Comment

It would appear that basic manners are not very important on his planet, let alone tea:

As proved by going round Sainsbury's this morning

Men are especially thoughtless there. Please mind your manners in future.
                      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent arrears
                        by ChrisDennison
                        You can issue both, multiple times, without implications....
                        23-09-2020, 06:36 AM
                      • Rent arrears
                        by MP31
                        Hi

I have a tenant who got in arrears in the end of 2019 by 1.5 months because of work then continued to pay full rent until Covid. He couldn't work and was unfortunate to not get furlough or any government scheme other that UC so we arranged a reduced for 4 months. Now he is behind further...
                        22-09-2020, 19:58 PM
                      • Tenant Repairs
                        by VPatel2707
                        Good Morning All,

Hope everyone is keeping safe!

I am about to complete on a BTL property this Friday and have a quick question in relation to how self-managed landlords manage tenant repairs.

When I personally have rented before in the past, I normally did this...
                        23-09-2020, 06:36 AM
                      • Reply to Direct Debit vs Standing Order
                        by Section20z
                        Don't think I've used a standing order for ten years. I select tenants capable of setting up monthly BACS transfers. Makes it easy if I allow them to make a deduction for a minor repair for example
                        23-09-2020, 06:35 AM
                      • Direct Debit vs Standing Order
                        by danwestgarth
                        Has anyone any experience in collecting rent from tenants using Direct Debit opposed to Standing Order? From what i understand, with Direct Debit the payee (landlord) is in control, rather than the payor (tenant). JCould be a good way to minimize missed payments during covid-19. Does anyone know of...
                        22-09-2020, 15:44 PM
                      • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                        by Beswick
                        Whilst it's good to have a landlord who wants to keep the property nice and well-maintained, all of these things added together do sound quite excessive - especially as none of the improvements seem to have been agreed with the tenant. After all, it's the landlord's property, but it's the tenant's...
                        23-09-2020, 06:33 AM
                      • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                        by thesleepingdog
                        Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
                        22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
                      • Reply to Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
                        by Beswick
                        My sentiments exactly.

I have a long term plan and increasing rents hasn't been factored into it - I'm perfectly satisfied with my projections at current rents. If a tenant moves out, I'll advertise the house at the current market rate (the rent increase will take some time to cover the...
                        23-09-2020, 06:19 AM
                      • Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
                        by ChrisDennison
                        I would like to gauge your experience on this - in all my properties I have never increased rent in an existing tenancy, regardless of how long the tenant stays. Am I stupid or normal or somewhere in between?

I’m of course happy to adjust to market rent whenever a tenant moves out and...
                        19-09-2020, 19:00 PM
                      • Reply to Rent arrears
                        by MP31
                        Thank you I knew this was the case I just wasn't aware that if he gets to 6 months arrears the notice reduces to 4 weeks.

I will issue one last letter for this months rent and if that is not successful I will serve notice.

As I can use S8 or S21 is either one of those preferable...
                        23-09-2020, 06:07 AM
                      Working...
                      X