Rejecting signed tenancy not commenced.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejecting signed tenancy not commenced.

I appreciate that this query may need detailed consideration and advice from a Solicitor but would be grateful to receive any comments or thoughts on this.

An individual signed an assured shorthold tenancy agreement, paid a small deposit at the beginning of May 2010 for a tenancy to commence on 1st July 2010 for 6 months. The individual changed their mind and informed the agent shortly afterwards and will not take possession. The agent has informed him that he is obligated to pay the rent for 6 months from 1st July. What should the individual to reject this/mitigate any loss?

Contract law basics necessitate offer, acceptance, and- here- contractual consideration.
    Those are present, so why should the contract not be binding and enforceable?If it is, T has no right to 'change [his/her]mind'.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

and note LL has no obligation to mitigate his/her loss.
      PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

Only for damages, not for the debt owed.

Comment

Originally posted by dominic View Post
          Only for damages, not for the debt owed.
          L surely has no obligation to mitigate the debt (unpaid rent): see post #5 on http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=28357
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

More advice please?

The client simply wishes to cancel the contract; I appreciate that he is contractually bound, but surely the LL has a duty to responsibly re-market the property and sue/request any "loss" that the LL suffers as a result of the tenant rejecting the contract? And in the event that the LL "does" re-market the property then surely the LL cannot expect to receive full rent "twice" for the contractual period?

I appreciate that people are contractually bound by what they sign and that this forum is landlord orientated (I am a landlord), but the facts are that this person is young, naive has insufficient income to warrant a tenancy being granted in the first place and the LL (via a letting agent) has done no referencing.

Again any thoughts or advice much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by sbsimpson View Post
              The client simply wishes to cancel the contract; I appreciate that he is contractually bound, but surely the LL has a duty to responsibly re-market the property and sue/request any "loss" that the LL suffers as a result of the tenant rejecting the contract? And in the event that the LL "does" re-market the property then surely the LL cannot expect to receive full rent "twice" for the contractual period?
              There is nothing 'simple' about reneging on a legally binding contract, I'm afraid! And no, the LL does not have any legally-enforceable obligation to mitigate his losses by re-letting (although in practice, most try to). If he does manage to re-let, then the contract with the first T will be demeed to have been surrendered by the fact that someone else is living in the property from whatever date they move in. Up to that point (and in theory for the whole of the fixed term), the LL can sue the first T for the rent.

I appreciate that people are contractually bound by what they sign and that this forum is landlord orientated (I am a landlord), but the facts are that this person is young, naive has insufficient income to warrant a tenancy being granted in the first place and the LL (via a letting agent) has done no referencing.

Again any thoughts or advice much appreciated!
              Actually the forum helps landlords and tenants equally with neither fear nor favour. We would say (and have said, more than once!) exactly the same thing to any LL who decided after offering a tenancy that he had changed his mind and wished to live in the property himself: this is breach of contract. Sadly, being young, naive and impecunious, just like being ignorant of the law, is no defence. The onus is on the prospective T and his/her guarantor if there is one, to read the contract carefully and to seek legal advice as to its full implications before signing it. Whether the agent referenced the T carefully enough (or even at all) is neither here nor there. It would only be an issue between LL and agent; it's not the T's problem nor can he use it as a defence. T has no defence unless the agent forced him into signing under duress - which is extremely rare and clearly not the case here.

The only circumstances, in practice, in which Ts can get out of contracts like this is when they find another suitable T to take their place - and that is only of course the LL agrees to this/the replacement Ts.
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I appreciate that people are contractually bound by what they sign and that this forum is landlord orientated
                No, it's not. It deals equally and fairly with all sorts of queries, whether from L or T or anyone else. There is no bias.

this person is young, naive
                Is T aged at least 18? If so, he/she is an adult and deemed legally-capable of entering into grown-up obligations.

Comment

Basicily as a LL, I would try and get another T as soon as possible, it saves a lot of hassle, as you may get somebody else by the 1st July, and no more hassle.
                  Also if you can't get somebody by the 1st and the old T can see you are making an effort, they may pay the differance without you having to go to court.

Also if he not taking the P because he can't afford it, would he have any money to pay you, even if you went to court.
                  Disclaimer: What I say is either right or wrong. It may be advisable to check what I say with a solicitor. If he says I am right then I am right, unless he is wrong in which case I am wrong; but if he says I am wrong then I am wrong, unless he is wrong in which case I am right

Comment

cynical

Well I suppose if I was a landlord with no morals "struggling" to rent a property and someone young and naive came along who demonstrably couldn't afford the rent but there was an opportunity to get some money out of them by sharp practice then I might be tempted to earn a few quid, maybe get the benefit of 6 months council tax exemption etc on a property that otherwise might be costing me money, maybe also keep any deposit paid etc. However, in the case of a letting agent there are basic principals involved here, referencing, affordability, know you client, "fact finding" I seem to recall it being termed in the financial services industry - now regulated. Irrespective of what a contract or the law says, at the end of the day "fair play" will prevail and if it doesn't then no doubt legislation will be passed to cut out the cowboys..

Comment

... in the case of a letting agent there are basic principals involved here, referencing, affordability, know you client, "fact finding" I seem to recall it being termed in the financial services industry - now regulated. Irrespective of what a contract or the law says, at the end of the day "fair play" will prevail and if it doesn't then no doubt legislation will be passed to cut out the cowboys..
                      No, sadly the letting industry is unregulated and thanks to the present government is likely to remain so:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=29170

I would say that far from being cynical, you are extremely optimistic to think that all letting agents are bound by some code of practice, or even basic principles. Some are; many are not.
                      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Even the "good ones" are named so not because they are actually "good" - but because they:

a. don't rip you off all the time;
                        b. are voluntarily regulated.

"Good" in the letting agency world does not equate to the actual meanign of the word, such are the woefully inadequate safeguards in this industry dealing in peoples' homes (and unscrupulously trading on people's fears of impending homelessness).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• No deposit strategy
                          Marty115
                          Hello all,

I'm hoping those of you with much more experience could help me out. I've been reviewing the way in which i manage my tenancy's and im thinking of no longer taking deposits and instead just bringing rent up to market value. Obviously there is both pros and cons to this idea...
                          21-03-2019, 15:44 PM
                        • Reply to No deposit strategy
                          JK0
                          Sounds like a good idea to me. I might steal it. ...
                          21-03-2019, 19:10 PM
                          spiritdreams
                          I am always wondering the wisdom of not charging a deposit.

Sure there are less work involved, and creates less hassel, so far nearly always returned the full deposit.

The deposit for me acts like a gate for tenant fiance, having deposit to pay usually means the tenants has...
                          21-03-2019, 18:47 PM
                        • Notice to Quit - Tenant Side
                          tomymm
                          Good Evening Everyone,

Please see the below.

Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? - England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? - Multiple Tenants (2
                          20-03-2019, 18:39 PM
                        • Reply to Notice to Quit - Tenant Side
                          jpkeates
                          The answer is something you will have to agree with your landlord.
                          The solution was not to have made an adjustment when the rent payment moved.

While it's sensible to coincide paying rent with getting paid (which is usually why the date moved), the best solution is to leave the rent...
                          21-03-2019, 16:58 PM
                          jpkeates
                          Best strategy for keeping voids down and tenants staying longer is to charge the right rent and keep things in a decent state of repair.
                          Or allow pets and/or prioritise tenants with school age children.
                          21-03-2019, 16:53 PM
                        • Reply to Notice to Quit - Tenant Side
                          tomymm
                          Thanks for the replies - really helpful.

The ex and I are still on good speaking terms so that side won't be a problem.

I will speak to the landlord as we are also on good terms and hopefully, we can come to an arrangement.

Lastly, how is the rent apportioned...
                          21-03-2019, 16:34 PM
                          Marty115
                          Thank you both for your responses, so i would be able to offer both options when showing around prospective tenants? The reason for below market rate is to lower void periods and keep good tenants in situ for longer or at least i like to think thats how it works....
                          21-03-2019, 16:31 PM
                          DPT57
                          I agree with jpkeates. Properties should be let at the market rents if you're running a business. You're allowed to set the rent as you see fit. The only chance of it ever being likely to become a problem is if after 12 months you elect to increase the rent using a s13 notice to a sum so far in excess...
                          21-03-2019, 16:17 PM
                        • Tenant with learning - alcohol problems given council flat but no idea what to do.
                          rugbyroom
                          Dear Forum,

Will try and keep this short.

I had to recently serve notice to a tenant of mine with both learning and alcohol problems.

Prior to given tenant his section 21, I went to the local council and explained tenants situation, as he had lived in the same...
                          21-03-2019, 13:17 PM
                        Working...
                        X