Unpaid rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unpaid rent

I have a tenant with an assured shorthold tenancy agreement. The rent on the agreement is monthly, although the tenant has never paid a monthly payment, but has paid in various amounts but mainly one week at a time. I would now like to give them notice for arrears. Do I have to give 8 weeks notice under section 21/28 or can I give one months notice as the tenant has never paid monthly.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A. Section 28 is nothing to do with this.
    B. Section 21 is nothing to do with rent.
    C. As the AST prescribes rent due monthly, that's what counts.
    D. Best to use s.8. Once T owes at least two months' rent [NB: this does not mean two months' arrears], you can use mandatory g8 (+ g10/11 too).
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

When did T first move in? How long was the fixed term of the agreement?
      PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
        by MR M
        I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
        22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
      • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
        by MR M
        The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
        16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
      • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
        by newtenant9011
        You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
        22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
      • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
        by thesleepingdog
        Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
        22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
      • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
        by DPT57
        In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
        22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
      • Rent Rises in 2020
        by jpucng62
        I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
        19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
      • Reply to Rats
        by ChrisDennison
        These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
        22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
      • Rats
        by ETB
        I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
        21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
      • Reply to Rats
        by Berlingogirl
        I contacted my council and the rat man came out a couple of hours later with a T shaped tube thing full of blue grain which he put behind some bushes in the garden. It was free. I've not seen any rats since but the blue grain is going down. Apparently slugs and mice will also eat the bait....
        22-09-2020, 12:22 PM
      • Reply to Call to courts to initiate reactivation
        by Jon66
        You can send the information to court quoting the case number and ask them to include it in the bundle. If it's a mandatory ground the information will make little if any difference to the outcome.
        22-09-2020, 12:04 PM
      Working...
      X