Help with Inventory question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Inventory question

Hi i hope someone can help with this. We are leaving a property we have been in for one year. The contract was for two years and a one year break clause. The flat we are renting had an inventory clerk inspect the property before we moved in. We have mutually agreed with the landlord that we would do his own inventory of his property once we have left with both him and us present. The letting agent that let us the property has stuck his oar in and said we cannot do this and that the inventory clerk must do the checkout. I don't quite understand this as number 1: It is the landlords property, number 2: In almost all likelihood the same letting agent will not be letting the property, so where is the vested interest?

Who is right here? I would appreciate any opinions. Thanks.

It is not your problem!

The agent may have a clause in his contract with the LL specifying that agent must do the check-out inventory (no doubt so he can sting the LL for a silly fee), but it need not concern you. Let the LL and his agent fight it out.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

The only reason i have a problem is because i have to pay for the checkout and i would like to avoid that if possible.

Comment

Tell the LL to check his contract with the agent and see what, if anything, it says about compulsory inventory check-outs. If there is nothing, then LL should tell agent to get lost.

Speaking as a LL, I certainly wouldn't agree to let my agent dictate whether I had a check-in/out done or not, or to dictate which inventory clerk to use.

I didn't bother with a check-out recently, as I could see with my own eyes that the property was in good condition, the T had been very good throughout, and I saw no reason for her to have to pay £100 for the check-out when I had no intention of claiming any deductions from the deposit.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
          mandm
          This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
          Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
          I served the...
          21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
        • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
          mariner
          It was the situation predicted by some Judges et al when it was first proposed that the full Penalty would be awarded to the T and not the Exchequer.
          22-07-2017, 01:16 AM
          JK0
          I agree. It's almost at the level of scandal as the people claiming cash by pretending they were ill on holiday. In that case, the Spanish Hotels have told tour operators they won't be doing all inclusive holidays any more.

Therefore, I suggest landlords take a page out of their book, and...
          21-07-2017, 22:22 PM
          mandm
          Letter sent with the evidence attached.
          Slightly off topic, it seems there this deposit protection appears to have gathered conflicting views.
          I would have thought that the purpose of the legislation was the protection of T's money, which most law-abiding landlords do but it seems that its...
          21-07-2017, 21:20 PM
        • Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
          Pickle135
          Our tenancy has just ended. We have cleaned the property from top to bottom using professional cleaners to do this and clean the carpets. He suggested this hadn't been done and wanted the name of our contractor to check which we gave him. The contractor assured him that after eight years the carpets...
          08-03-2017, 00:45 AM
        • Reply to Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
          Pickle135
          Woohoo!

Our adjudication has just come through and the landlord has been given a token payment with the majority of our large deposit being returned to us. He was told that he had not submitted appropriate evidence for the misuse of the property and that things he was saying were wrong...
          21-07-2017, 20:49 PM
        • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
          scooter08
          Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
          England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
          AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
          12/04/2015
          21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
        • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
          scooter08
          Thanks for the reply jp....
          21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
          jpkeates
          Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
          21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
          scooter08
          I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
          21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
        Working...
        X