Help for new BTL-er

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for new BTL-er

Okay, I'm a complete novice at this so where do I start? Is there a central checklist somewhere of things I need to do as a new landlord? I've read lots of useful information on various threads, but I'm worried about missing something.

Also, does it make any difference that I am already self-employed, a higher-rate taxpayer and VAT-registerd for my main job? I presume I just lump it all together and declare income and expenses from letting as part of my normal tax return. I'm starting to think that there's a lot more to this than I realised...

There's thousand upon thousand of threads and posts here. Read some/all!
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by smartpicture View Post
      Okay, I'm a complete novice at this so where do I start? Is there a central checklist somewhere of things I need to do as a new landlord?
      The link below is a good check list produced by shelter.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...ing_a_landlord

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        There's thousand upon thousand of threads and posts here. Read some/all!
        I did read hundreds of threads before starting this one, including many comments from yourself, and it has all been very useful. It's one of those things where the more you read, the more you start to panic that you're going to miss something! Please forgive a new (slightly unwilling) landlord who is just trying to do things right.

Originally posted by Mrs Mug
        The link below is a good check list produced by shelter.
        Many thanks for this, that's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X