Recieved letter from LL not sure what I should feel or say/do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recieved letter from LL not sure what I should feel or say/do

You may side with the landlay but I moved in 26th Feburary and paid a months rent as deposit and months rent in advance, start of 2nd month I paid rent by standard bank transfer since I dont have online banking and went to the branch to do this on the day it was due.

Never heard anything for about 5 days when LL claimed it hadnt arrived sp I checked and made sure bank had sent it and my balance which had gone down on the day.

I was told it was faster payments and all my other payments I send through my bank are instant.

Anyway I then paid the next rent the same on the day and never heard anything from the LL so assumed it was all ok, and then Junes payment was due on the 26th May and LL texted me to say it was due, and I rang back since I wasnt at home to get the details and then as I am now set up for online banking sent a faster payments online.

Got a letter dated last Monday(have been away visiting niece for half term) saying the landlord is worried since I constantly pay rent late and think I am messing them around!

I can understand how they are a bit annoyed however they claim the 1st months rent didnt clear till the 9th April which is either untrue or was affected due to the Easter Holidays, and they claim each month since then its been paid over 7 days late.

The landlord asks/demands I show proof that I have set up a direct debit as per the contract(it doesnt say anywhere about it) and to pay that months rent that same day when I already sent payment.

So you may side with the LL but I feel a bit annoyed as I basically feel as if the landlord assumes I am messing them around on purppose and is overreacting a little since its not as if I am months in arrears or weeks in arrears and I pay the exact rent and also when I moved in I said I was a student and if she wasnt happy with that I could pay 3 months rent in advance and she said its ok so I feel I have made an effort.

Just wondering peoples thoughts on this issue.

It sounds like a misunderstanding.

Go into your bank and ask them what date you need to set your payments up on each month so that they get into her bank account on the day she expects the rent.

Organise that and ask the bank for some evidence that you have done it.

Then show her and ask her to let you know at once if the next payment does not come through on time.

That way she will realise that you are keen to meet your commitments.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Not really a case of siding with the landlady - you seem to think you have done everything right, but your landlady hasn't received the rent on the day you agreed she would get it.

The delay seems to be the bank - so talk to them and explain the problem - they will know what the correct timescales are. Not all banks are in the 'faster payments' scheme.

If this results in the money having to leave your bank account too early, you could always withdraw cash on rent-day and pay it into the local branch of your landlords bank. Cash will clear instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
        Not really a case of siding with the landlady - you seem to think you have done everything right, but your landlady hasn't received the rent on the day you agreed she would get it.

The delay seems to be the bank - so talk to them and explain the problem - they will know what the correct timescales are. Not all banks are in the 'faster payments' scheme.

If this results in the money having to leave your bank account too early, you could always withdraw cash on rent-day and pay it into the local branch of your landlords bank. Cash will clear instantly.
        Thats what I was thinking but I may forget to go to town and pay into account before closing on day its due which is why I rang up to do it each time that way if I may of forgot till last minute I could ring bank and send money.

My bank is faster payments, have sent payments for things I purchased on Ebay for last few months and all out of at least 12 transactions bar one have been faster payments and people messaged me saying they got their money within as little as 10 minutes.

I have asked LL by email if they can tell me what bank they use as if they use one with a bank I have an account with I can place the funds in there each month and do a standing order and that way I know it will clear fast

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone View Post
          My bank is faster payments, have sent payments for things I purchased on Ebay for last few months and all out of at least 12 transactions bar one have been faster payments
          The system is pretty hit and miss; it does depend on both banks being in it. If your LL's happens not to be, then that's not her fault, and the onus remains on you to get the money into her account by the day stipulated.

The only other thing I can think of which might cause a delay is if the LL has given you details for a building society rather than a bank - there can be a substantial lag when transferring funds between the two, and if that was so you might have a case for requesting details of a normal clearing bank to pay your rent into.

I have asked LL by email if they can tell me what bank they use as if they use one with a bank I have an account with I can place the funds in there each month and do a standing order and that way I know it will clear fast
          If you google the sort-code you've been given you'll almost definitely come up with the bank and branch name (or there's a site somewhere where you can look up sortcodes). But unless you really have to wait for a salary payment or something to come in, can't you just set up your standing order a day or two earlier to avoid the problem?

Comment

Funds arrive more quickly merely because the sending Bank is in FPS. It's irrelevant whether the receiving bank is.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              Funds arrive more quickly merely because the sending Bank is in FPS. It's irrelevant whether the receiving bank is.
              Well, all I can say is that me and the missus both pay our (different) credit cards from the same joint account (which is in fastpay) by online banking... hers hits her credit card on the same day, and on our current account statement it says "FP..." for fast pay; whereas mine still takes three days to get there, and doesn't say 'FP' on the statement entry.

EDIT: also see here: "Both sending and receiving banks need to be members of the Faster Payments Service "

Comment

I just post what I know!
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I think it's fair that the landlady assumes you are messing them around until you prove otherwise.

Maybe they have bills to pay which is causing them an inconvenience because of your problem ensuring the rent is paid on time.

If possible, pay it into a branch of the landladys' bank, and get a receipt.
                  Then there is no problem proving when you paid it.
                  Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X