Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

helpppp please ending a 12month contract

hi

i am a tenant i am renting a property and have a 12 month contract but we both landlord and myself want to end contract but want to keep it legal but i am hoping to get a council house but council can not help me unless i can provide them with a 2 months notice from my landlord is it possible for my land lord to issue me a 2months notice before the contract is up which ends on 31/11/2010???

thankz

The council will not provide housing before you are evicted by court order. All they will do is tell you that you must stay in the current property. If you leave when you don't have to, they are not obliged to house you.

No one can force you to leave the property without a court order.

Comment

Your landlord, with your agreement can end the contract at any time, but if he does, your local authority is bound to smell a rat and refuse to re-house you. I expect that the only thing which they will accept is a section 21 notice, giving you at least two months noice which does not expire until the fixed period of your AST has ended i.e. after the 31st. November 2010. To make matters worse - and they aren't really supposed to do this - is that they will then further refuse to rehouse you until your landlord has taken you to court, obtained the necessary possession order to evict you and then calls in the bailiffs to do this. The bailiff's letter you receive will then be accepted by the LA as evidence that you HAVE to be re-housed.

P.P.
      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Is there a break clause in your contract which would allow the LL to serve you notice at 6 months?

And is there some pressing reason why you need to move out of that property so soon?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

thank you both for your advice

can the council not rehouse me eventho i am in danger at the property and have a 2 year old child i have been broken into twice since i moved in and had harrasment from LL from the beginning off my tenancy???

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kelliebull View Post
            thank you both for your advice

can the council not rehouse me eventho i am in danger at the property and have a 2 year old child i have been broken into twice since i moved in and had harrasment from LL from the beginning off my tenancy???

thanks
            Unfortunately, the council has limited housing stock and has to prioritise that for the genuinely homeless.

Your local police station can advise on crime prevention and the councils 'private tenancy officer' will help with the harrassment.

If your landlord is willing to allow you to surrender the tenancy, you might be better off searching for a different property in the private sector.

Comment

ok thank you

ok so what can i do when agreement has ended is it possible to be rehoused than or shall i just go for private rent again???

Comment

The landlord can issue you with a section 21 notice, which gives you 2 months notice that he wants possession. This can not take effect before the end of the fixed term. The council will insist that you don't go at the end of the term, so the landlord will have to go to court to get a possession order. The judge will give you 14 days to leave - that is probably when the council will start taking your needs seriously.

If the landlord won't evict you, the council won't entertain re-housing you.

To move into another private rent, you can end your current tenancy at any time providing you both agree.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to at what stage does tenant pay deposit and advance rent
                  by KTC
                  Err, rent clear before keys and possession. At the very least, money cleared on the agent's account if you trust agent not to go bankrupt and fold in the mean time. If the agent want you to give possession before money, ask the agent whether they are legally guaranteeing the rent payment (i.e. they'll...
                  28-09-2020, 15:02 PM
                • at what stage does tenant pay deposit and advance rent
                  by v2kisad
                  Hello All,

Hope everyone is safe and well. I'm a new landlord and am letting out my flat through an estate agent. Both tenant and I have signed the contract. The contract was signed 10 days ago and tenants were supposed to move in 2-3 days but then agent told me the tenant will move in...
                  28-09-2020, 14:33 PM
                • Reply to Communal lighting issue
                  by jpucng62
                  Utility companies are not allowed to cut people off in case it causes undue hardship.

When a tenant moves into a property that become liable for the usage on a deemed contract even if they don’t open an account. I would suggest that the occupants are liable for the usage.

28-09-2020, 14:14 PM
                • Communal lighting issue
                  by Shalanne
                  Hi all,

I own and rent out the ground floor flat of a building that has one other flat upstairs.

It has come to light, that the original owner of the upstairs flat had installed a third "landlord's" meter to provide light for the single light in the hallway downstairs....
                  28-09-2020, 12:50 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  I don't really understand how that works.
                  Are you and the "other landlord" landlord leaseholders and, together, the freeholder?
                  Why is the "other landlord" not the owner of upstairs and you the owner of downstairs?

Who is responsible for the bill would be...
                  28-09-2020, 14:05 PM
                  by Shalanne
                  Some are suggesting that because myself and the other owner are now the landlord's, we inherit that meter even though when we bought our properties we were never made aware of it or, in my case, consulted before it was installed. I don't understand why they didn't just stop supplying power after 3 months...
                  28-09-2020, 13:44 PM
                  by flyingfreehold
                  you aren't liable. For the sake of one bulb just spur off your flat with a maintained bulkhead, more cost effective than a landlords account. A manintained common parts light is one with a rechargeable battery which will come on in a power failure. If however you let your flat to a council or housing...
                  28-09-2020, 13:44 PM
                  by Shalanne
                  Well Scottish Power is saying someone has to pay and they suggesting that's the current landlords which is me and the other flat owner. They absolutely won't make any changes like removing it, switching supply off or anything because our names weren't on the original account before it was closed. It...
                  28-09-2020, 13:43 PM
                  by Shalanne
                  By OP, do you mean me?...
                  28-09-2020, 13:41 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  Utility contracts are created on a deemed use basis.
                  I can't imagine anyone can be liable unless they own the meter - so, I imagine, the first time power was used after the account had closed, the meter owner became liable.

I've never understood how you can "use" a standing...
                  28-09-2020, 13:38 PM
                Working...
                X