X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jta
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    And isn't it dreadful, jta, just how many people these days just can't be bothered to capitalise the first letter of a new sentence!

Don't start on me, that was proper 'textspeak'.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by jta View Post
    there is an answer to this. All mobile devices to have a built in spellcheck facility and the device to refuse to send out anything that has not been written to a certain standard. That includes punctuation Muz379. Consider this,

The teacher said the student was wrong.

The teacher, said the student, was wrong.

c wot i meen.

That would help to some extent, but such a device would not cope very well with homophone confusion, or with the punctuation in a complex sentence such as the one you cite (because, as you say, it can mean two different things depending on how it is punctuated - there is no one correct way).

And isn't it dreadful, jta, just how many people these days just can't be bothered to capitalise the first letter of a new sentence!

Actually, I'd just be glad if people spelled 'tenants' correctly and capitalised 'I'.

Leave a comment:

• jta
    replied
    there is an answer to this. All mobile devices to have a built in spellcheck facility and the device to refuse to send out anything that has not been written to a certain standard. That includes punctuation Muz379. Consider this,

The teacher said the student was wrong.

The teacher, said the student, was wrong.

c wot i meen.

Leave a comment:

• alias
    replied
    Originally posted by muz379 View Post
    And reading back over the thread you provided me with so much help its untrue
    I was not referring to myself. Apparently your reading and interpretation skills mirror your writing skills. Shame really considering you are studying law. I'd say they were quite basic demands.

I will stretch myself to coming to your assistance further now though in asserting that it is or it's is better than "its".

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied

I do appologise for my mistaken decision not to proof read my original post . In future I will give much more consideration to how I am presenting myself and in what context it is .However the damage is now done and I can't really go back and fix it . But once again thank you for the advice even if you did have to read my poor initial post
    It's OK; public self-flagellation isn't necessary!

It makes such a mess.

Leave a comment:

• muz379
    replied
    Originally posted by alias View Post
    What is all this drivel in aid of?

You don't need A levels or a degree to take a little pride in the presentation of your words, especially online where they are all that you can provide. It is especially important where you are asking complete strangers to take time out of their busy days to help you.
    And reading back over the thread you provided me with so much help its untrue
    I agree. I'm not being curmudgeonly about this, but if people tell me they can write accurately when they choose to, and they would choose to when writing an essay for their Law tutor, it begs the question as to why I/we on LLZ aren't worth the same effort!
    I do appologise for my mistaken decision not to proof read my original post . In future I will give much more consideration to how I am presenting myself and in what context it is .However the damage is now done and I can't really go back and fix it . But once again thank you for the advice even if you did have to read my poor initial post

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied

You don't need A levels or a degree to take a little pride in the presentation of your words, especially online where they are all that you can provide. It is especially important where you are asking complete strangers to take time out of their busy days to help you.
    I agree. I'm not being curmudgeonly about this, but if people tell me they can write accurately when they choose to, and they would choose to when writing an essay for their Law tutor, it begs the question as to why I/we on LLZ aren't worth the same effort!

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    lol thought you guys would enjoy that one
    And I almost forgot the most important bit.Thanks for the advice guys I do appreciate it .
    You're welcome.

Leave a comment:

• alias
    replied
    Now that you put it like that yes it is more formal than I initially considered it to be and in hindsight i should have proof read my post before submitting it .I would not usually associate my use of forums with such a formal endeavour however and so didnt think to proof read

I do have 3 A's at A level however I did not state in which subject and 2 of them are not subjects traditionally studied by people who would go on and study law at undergraduate level .
    Personally I feel that A levels are not really a test of ones overall academic ability or ability to express yourself but maybe thats just my experience of them .
    Whilst did admit to having 3 A levels and studying law at undergraduate level I didnt admit to being the worlds best speller and spelling is sometimes something I have difficulty with . The errors in my post however where down to typing errors and a neglect to proof reading as appose to not being able to spell
    What is all this drivel in aid of?

Leave a comment:

• muz379
    replied
    lol thought you guys would enjoy that one
    And I almost forgot the most important bit.Thanks for the advice guys I do appreciate it .

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    The errors in my post however where down to typing errors and a neglect to proof reading as appose to not being able to spell
    *facepalm*

Leave a comment:

• muz379
    replied
    As we said - asking for, and receiving legal help on a forum is a relatively formal discourse; would you not agree? If we can take the trouble to plough through misspelled and inadequately punctuated posts and reply helpfully to them in standard written English, do we not deserve the same courtesy from you, especially as you are Law student and claim to be able to write accurately when you choose to? I would not be making this much fuss with someone who had not been educated to your level, but I think it's depressing that you have 3As at A level, are studying Law, yet do not think it matters how you express yourself in this context.

Yes, but they weren't 'occasional'! Your post is riddled with them.
    I was joking.
    Now that you put it like that yes it is more formal than I initially considered it to be and in hindsight i should have proof read my post before submitting it .I would not usually associate my use of forums with such a formal endeavour however and so didnt think to proof read

I do have 3 A's at A level however I did not state in which subject and 2 of them are not subjects traditionally studied by people who would go on and study law at undergraduate level .
    Personally I feel that A levels are not really a test of ones overall academic ability or ability to express yourself but maybe thats just my experience of them .
    Whilst did admit to having 3 A levels and studying law at undergraduate level I didnt admit to being the worlds best speller and spelling is sometimes something I have difficulty with . The errors in my post however where down to typing errors and a neglect to proof reading as appose to not being able to spell

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Some undergraduate degrees in Law are as low as three B's now, I've even seen some offers of BBC. Though they are in the ex poly universities.
    Yes, the BBC's not what it was either.

Leave a comment:

• alias
    replied
    And what is the rate of graduate employment (in Law) from those courses? Is it worth it?
    I wouldn't know and couldn't possibly comment. What I do know is that there is a very large Tesco's being built near the local BBB university, so one could hazard a guess that the unemployment rate would be quite low

I'm only 22 so again could not comment on how far the country has fallen.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Well I assure you im not at an ex poly university . Believe it or not it was 3 A's to get onto my course

I can spell tenant , I also know that "I" is normally capitalised and various other grammar rules . However I didnt realise my grammar would come under such scrutiny so i didnt go back and proof read my post .
    As we said - asking for, and receiving legal help on a forum is a relatively formal discourse; would you not agree? If we can take the trouble to plough through misspelled and inadequately punctuated posts and reply helpfully to them in standard written English, do we not deserve the same courtesy from you, especially as you are Law student and claim to be able to write accurately when you choose to? I would not be making this much fuss with someone who had not been educated to your level, but I think it's depressing that you have 3As at A level, are studying Law, yet do not think it matters how you express yourself in this context.

However i suffer from the same thing that everybody suffers from which is being human so occasionally i make mistakes . But let me guess you dont have such problems because your perfect in every way .
    Yes, but they weren't 'occasional'! Your post is riddled with them.
    And thank you for your view of the country going to the dogs , its nice to know that the older generations of people in this country these days have faith in the young people of today .
    I was joking.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X