X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by duomaxwell View Post

I got the garden clean btw, took about 4 hours as I did it perfectly.
    Well done! You can come and start on mine now, if you like. And we have a very comfortable and palatious outdoor Wendy-house you can stay in if you want. (It's actually more luxurious and peaceful than our house and contrary to popular belief, you don;t have to be called Wendy to live in it).

Leave a comment:

• duomaxwell
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    duomaxwell, my suggestion (about living in Uni acommodation) was a serious one. Unless you are a troll (and I sometimes wonder!), you seem completely unable to make the simplest of decisions about your life. If it isn't whether you should move your stuff in a van or put it into storage, you're after tips about how to tidy a back yard a bit (but not too much), or a hundred and one other minor issues which really only you can decide upon:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...archid=1729142

At least in a Uni room, you will have no energy bills and CT to pay, no need for a guarantor and no need for credit checks. The even come and clean your cooker for you every week
    Oh no I am not a troll, btw that link doesnt work. I just like to check, check and check again things since I am a worrier! I can actually make complex decisions but because I ask some questions it may seem like I am asking about every detaill lol

I got the garden clean btw, took about 4 hours as I did it perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• duomaxwell
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Live in University accommodation.
    Its a college not a uni I am moving to and has no university accomodation just a list of local landlords but they wont send it out to me until my finance is confirmed so a bit of a struggle there.

Anyway did a bit of searching on Google and found a agency that doesnt do a credit serach, I can get a 2 bedroom flat for £385, cheap because its on the end of town where its like a hours walk to the centre but about 10 minutes from a 24 hour Asda(which I used to walk up to a lot) and only £300 deposit but they want references, they are also happy to take DSS tenants

So I have a new question, what do I do about references? I might be able to get one from current LL but I dont get on with him, was chucked out of a flat last year after a disagreement with LL and the one I was with for like 5 years I cant get hold of.

So I may get one.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    duomaxwell, my suggestion (about living in Uni acommodation) was a serious one. Unless you are a troll (and I sometimes wonder!), you seem completely unable to make the simplest of decisions about your life. If it isn't whether you should move your stuff in a van or put it into storage, you're after tips about how to tidy a back yard a bit (but not too much), or a hundred and one other minor issues which really only you can decide upon:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...archid=1729142

At least in a Uni room, you will have no energy bills and CT to pay, no need for a guarantor and no need for credit checks. The even come and clean your cooker for you every week

Leave a comment:

• jayneypo
    replied
    Oh also, it should only take a couple of days to get the credit search done, but references may take longer. I'd give the landlord a bell if I was you to check the progress.

Leave a comment:

• jayneypo
    replied
    Hi there,

It sounds like you are in a bit of a pickle with this. The problem is there are plenty of tenants out there so Landlords can be picky. Firstly, try get a private landlord, less likely they will do the credit check etc, you may have to widen the area you ar4e looking in, but I assure you I know private landlords who have never done a proper check...(NOT ME THOUGH)

secondly get on the electrol roll ASAP...(obviously at your new place...no point for 2 weeks- esp as credit check has already been done) It vital to sort out your credit score and file. Get access to Experian, 30 day free trial and cancel before the 30 days, see if you can justify any of your late payment with a notice of correction, this can help when potential creditors see your report. This will help you in the future. To build your score up try get a low credit card (£300-500) only spend a little on it and pay off every month....also call Experian, the guys there are really helpful and will give you more tips on improving credit score.

I know this may not be too helpful at the moment...but over the next year, will put you in a much better position.

cheers

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    A credit search may take seconds, but the references may take days depending on how quickly the referees/employers respond.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by duomaxwell View Post
    The only 1 bedroom flats I can find in the town I want to live are through Agencies, that isnt a problem however I know I have a low credit rating but as far as I know a clean file bar late payments possibly as I have never been on electorial roll since I left home 10 years ago and also that everytime I get a phone bill BT messes it up and charges me fees and takes a few weeks to sort.

Anyway I have seen 2 nice flats I like and the guy who showed me around said he wasnt sure about how long but he thought it was 2 weeks to do a credit search which worries me since I need to be out current property in 2 weeks to the day.

When I spoke to the actual office they said if they do a search in the morning they get a preliminary result in the afternoon and then its just a case of checking employment and landlord references which shouldnt be too long.

Is this right? and what does it take on average?

The other real query is that they said as I told them I am a student and not working I will likely need a guarantor which is a blood relative which I cannot get(since my parents are retired and rent a property) and that I dont know anyone on my dads nor have ever met anyone, and on my mums side I am not close enough to them.

I have been to another agency and saw another nice flat and they are happy to take a friend as a guarantor as he has been working in his job over 3 years but the property I saw has already gone so means I have to go up on train and spend £20 for ticket and 3 hours each way just to view another flat so it seems a lot of hassle.

I was basically wondering what the lesser of two evils was.
    Live in University accommodation.

Leave a comment:

• How long do credit searches take? And a general renting query

The only 1 bedroom flats I can find in the town I want to live are through Agencies, that isnt a problem however I know I have a low credit rating but as far as I know a clean file bar late payments possibly as I have never been on electorial roll since I left home 10 years ago and also that everytime I get a phone bill BT messes it up and charges me fees and takes a few weeks to sort.

Anyway I have seen 2 nice flats I like and the guy who showed me around said he wasnt sure about how long but he thought it was 2 weeks to do a credit search which worries me since I need to be out current property in 2 weeks to the day.

When I spoke to the actual office they said if they do a search in the morning they get a preliminary result in the afternoon and then its just a case of checking employment and landlord references which shouldnt be too long.

Is this right? and what does it take on average?

The other real query is that they said as I told them I am a student and not working I will likely need a guarantor which is a blood relative which I cannot get(since my parents are retired and rent a property) and that I dont know anyone on my dads nor have ever met anyone, and on my mums side I am not close enough to them.

I have been to another agency and saw another nice flat and they are happy to take a friend as a guarantor as he has been working in his job over 3 years but the property I saw has already gone so means I have to go up on train and spend £20 for ticket and 3 hours each way just to view another flat so it seems a lot of hassle.

I was basically wondering what the lesser of two evils was.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X