Must L change bulb, fix oven? Charge T for goods storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must L change bulb, fix oven? Charge T for goods storage?

I have some tenants who are now out of ast & have served a section 21 almost 2 months ago
    we have had some lovely emails the best one is that the lights keep blowing bulbs!!
    the best one at the moment is that the built in oven has packed up being a bosch they let us know end of last week we spoke to bosch who have arranged a call out for this week. its strange that the cooker hood same make has broken as well but didn't tell us for several weeks

the original ast had the clause about them repairing electrical equipment but just at the moment I am not sure if I should pick up the tab

any ideas?

Originally posted by southeast lass View Post
    I have some tenants who are now out of ast & have served a section 21 almost 2 months ago
    we have had some lovely emails the best one is that the lights keep blowing bulbs!!
    the best one at the moment is that the built in oven has packed up being a bosch they let us know end of last week we spoke to bosch who have arranged a call out for this week. its strange that the cooker hood same make has broken as well but didn't tell us for several weeks

the original ast had the clause about them repairing electrical equipment but just at the moment I am not sure if I should pick up the tab

any ideas?
    If the lights blow repeatedly it sounds as though there is an electrical fault - you are responsible for paying for that to be rectifed, really.

Unless your TA has a clause making Ts responsible for cost of repairs, then you should get the cooker mended and pay for it. If however they are contracted to pay for repairs you can deduct from deposit.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

the trouble is they haven't said which lights stating it only happens during the winter i dont believe it could be all of them!! But after all this time & not one mention in 2 winters......
      thats good to know about the repairs as the ast does state they have to pay

The list of so called 'faults' as like nothing else on earth and over 90% nothing had ever been asked for or mentioned! do you think they are doing to try this one on in court??

if so what proof can we give that these have never been mentioned?

Comment

the trouble is they haven't said which lights stating it only happens during the winter i dont believe it could be all of them!! But after all this time & not one mention in 2 winters......
        thats good to know about the repairs as the ast does state they have to pay

The list of so called 'faults' as like nothing else on earth and over 90% nothing had ever been asked for or mentioned! do you think they are doing to try this one on in court??

You cannot usually prove the non-existence of something!

It would be up to them to prove that they had contacted you (more than once) about the faults but that you had not effected repairs.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

sometimes the problem of bulbs blowing is because they use the really cheap ones.I always recommend the more expensive ones because of this and they last longer.When a property becomes vacant I always replace any cheap bulbs to avoid this problem.

Comment

many thanks for that. The fact that they have never mentioned these faults in anyway has put my mind at rest
            I am thinking that it could be the spotlights which uses the same bulbs I have at home & yes if you use the ones from the £1.00 shop they do blow much quicker than the expensive ones!

oh well not long to go

Comment

Disrepair is not a defence to a s.21 application. They would have to show that the notice was invalid in some way or another.

Comment

thats something as I was beginning to wonder if we'd end up having to find something to rent while they are sitting pretty at my expense!

Comment

thats something as I was beginning to wonder if we'd end up having to find something to rent while they are sitting pretty at my expense!
                  Just to clarify, there is no guarantee the tenants will move out at the end of the s21 - they have no obligation to do so. You may end up having to get a court possession order and employing court bailiffs (hopefully not). Presuming the tenancy started after 6/4/07, was a deposit paid and have you protected it?

Comment

deposit protected all ok
                    looks like we'll be going to court am already braced for that expense !

Comment

deposit protected all ok
                      looks like we'll be going to court am already braced for that expense !
                      The court fee for an s21 is £150. If you get a company to handle it for you you can expect £500 - £1k.

Comment

realistically if we go down the solicitors/company route will the outcome be any quicker or is it just that they know the system inside out? could we recharge the tenant for this?
                        this is our dream home that i'm planning to retire to & so far its been a bit of a nightmare!

Comment

Have you tried energy saving bulbs? We've had the same ones in one of our houses for 2 years! They are high up over a staircase so they're a nightmare to change, it's only a matter of time I suppose, but it saves me some of the sweaty palms and palpitations I get when I think about climbing a ladder over that staircase!

Comment

realistically if we go down the solicitors/company route will the outcome be any quicker or is it just that they know the system inside out? could we recharge the tenant for this?
                            this is our dream home that i'm planning to retire to & so far its been a bit of a nightmare!
                            No quicker, and they are known to make mistakes (due to volume?). S21 is reasonably straightforward and does not usually involve a court hearing. You can get advice on here regarding the paperwork.

Most ASTs make the tenant responsible for your legal costs - check your own.

Comment

Originally posted by remyrobson View Post
                              Have you tried energy saving bulbs? We've had the same ones in one of our houses for 2 years! They are high up over a staircase so they're a nightmare to change, it's only a matter of time I suppose, but it saves me some of the sweaty palms and palpitations I get when I think about climbing a ladder over that staircase!
                              its only a single story house I know what you mean my current house has very high ceilings (something I'll miss) and they can a nuisance although I'm not too bad on ladders!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X