Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payment renting in full for 6 months?

Hello,

I have a question about a renting situation in London.
    One of my cousin, has moved to London, in order to complete a Master's semester at uni for 6 months before to go back.
    He found an apartment to rent with 3 classmates one week ago and they agreed the conditions.
    They paid one deposit and 2 weeks in advance.
    When they arrived on Friday, to move in, the agency refused to give them the keys, because the guarantor each one indicated (for each one parent's work contract) wasn't based in UK. Actually they are from Italy.
    And then pretended, they should show someone as a guarantor with a work contract from UK or then pay up front the 6 months rents.

I was just wondering if that was a normal situation and was quite common in London to ask for a 6 months up front payment of the rent if being student you don't have any guarantor in UK?

and also

Being working in London, I offered my cousin to be his guarantor. But I guess this will not be enough since I will not be accepted as the guarantor for the other flatmates, is that right? I think I can be only one person's guarantor.

Thanks a lot for your help on this topic.

S.

Originally posted by Selmia View Post
    Hello,

I have a question about a renting situation in London.
    One of my cousin, has moved to London, in order to complete a Master's semester at uni for 6 months before to go back.
    He found an apartment to rent with 3 classmates one week ago and they agreed the conditions.
    They paid one deposit and 2 weeks in advance.
    When they arrived on Friday, to move in, the agency refused to give them the keys, because the guarantor each one indicated (for each one parent's work contract) wasn't based in UK. Actually they are from Italy.
    And then pretended, they should show someone as a guarantor with a work contract from UK or then pay up front the 6 months rents.

I was just wondering if that was a normal situation and was quite common in London to ask for a 6 months up front payment of the rent if being student you don't have any guarantor in UK?

and also

Being working in London, I offered my cousin to be his guarantor. But I guess this will not be enough since I will not be accepted as the guarantor for the other flatmates, is that right? I think I can be only one person's guarantor.

Thanks a lot for your help on this topic.

S.
    Be very careful. If it is a joint tenancy, you may end up being legally liable, along with the other guarantors (jointly and severally) for the debts of all the tenants, not just your cousin. This means that if any/all of them deafult on the rent, the LL can sue any or all of you guarantors for any part or all of the total debt.

It is possible sometimes to insist on only being a guarantor for debts up to a certain sum (i.e the equivalent of your cousin's portion of the rent, although that concept is not recognised legally - the rent is seen as one whole amount from one set of tenants. Hope that makes sense?), but you could still end up being pursued for any shortfall in rent even if you cousin paid 'his' portion.

The other option would be for the three others to be the named tenants then sublet to your cousin as a lodger - but most letting agents would object to that.

Alternatively, suggest four separate ASTs (that way you only have to guarantee his debts) or even see if there was any way he could pay the six months' rent up front. That isn't uncommon with international students.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Hello Mind the gap,
      Thanks a lot for your clear and prompt answer.
      Have a good evening.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X