Hiya Newbie Help request? on Houseshares! : )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Originally posted by Paza3 View Post
    Thanks for the information, I have checked with the local authority , and do not need a HMO, but of course will do all the safety requirements as this is just common sense,

Best start researching!!
    You will need C4 planning permission - this is a new requirement since 1/4/10. Although your property will not need a HMO license - but will need to comply with HMO regulations - the property may not be a "licensable HMO" but it is a HMO.

Leave a comment:

• Paza3
    replied
    Thanks for the information, I have checked with the local authority , and do not need a HMO, but of course will do all the safty requirments as this is just common sense,

Best start researching!!

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by Paza3 View Post
    We have decided that we would like to let our house out and like the idea of a house share as we feel it splits the risk of just a single tenant. We have a 2 storey 3 bedroom house with 1 kitchen, 1 bathroom , 1 lounge, 1 separate dining room (Classic Victorian property).

What I really would like is some help on what exactly should I do / set up?
    What type of contract / responsibilities etc… all advice welcome
    If the house is in England/Wales, you would give the tenants individual assured shorthold tenancies for each room, with exclusive possession of the room, and shared access to the kitchen etc. Note that you'd need to check with the local council as to whether you would be creating an HMO (house in multiple occupation) - these may or may not need a licence to operate, and there may be additional safety regulations you need to comply with, such as extra fire precautions, special locks on the bedroom doors etc.

It's also essential to spend some time researching the various legalities of being a landlord before going ahead; these include gas and electrical safety, deposit protection, statutory repairing obligations, etc. You also need a clear understanding of your rights of access and T's right to quiet enjoyment etc. Reading this forum is a good way to learn, and also the Shelter website has a lot of useful information. You might consider joining a landlords' association, too, as this'll help keep you up to date with changes in the law.
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...hold_tenancies
    http://www.landlords.org.uk/index.htm

Also we have some outbuildings , garage (separate from the main part of the property) , and a drive, what’s best to do with parking and the garage? Also the front and rear gardens would we just get someone in to maintain these?, or could we expect them to keep it up.
    I have no experience with this sort of letting, so best wait for others to advise on the best way to deal with outbuildings and garden maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• Paza3
    started a topic Hiya Newbie Help request? on Houseshares! : )

Hiya Newbie Help request? on Houseshares! : )

Hello Everyone

Firstly what a great source of knowledge and a great web site, thumbs up

We have decided that we would like to let our house out and like the idea of a house share as we feel it splits the risk of just a single tenant. We have a 2 storey 3 bedroom house with 1 kitchen, 1 bathroom , 1 lounge, 1 separate dining room (Classic Victorian property).

What I really would like is some help on what exactly should I do / set up?
    What type of contract / responsibilities etc… all advice welcome

Also we have some outbuildings , garage (separate from the main part of the property) , and a drive, what’s best to do with parking and the garage? Also the front and rear gardens would we just get someone in to maintain these?, or could we expect them to keep it up.

Any help or advice would be grateful , also I am guessing somewhere there’s another thread asking these question but have not stumbled across it yet!

Thanks Patrick

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X