Put own items in storage or take them to friends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put own items in storage or take them to friends?

I have to be out in 2 weeks of my property, I have 3 options really 1st is to take my possessions bar my massive CRT tv, folding dinner table and clothes hanger on wheels thing by a man with van to my friends flat which I am looking after for a few weeks since he has a massive 2 part wardrobe which is empty at the minute, and 2 massive old boiler cupboards so I can get everything in.

The only issue I forsee with this is that my friend lives 40 miles away and the local cheap man with van may still charge about £60 maybe a bit more and means I will be living in a small flat for a few weeks which I dont really want to do.

2nd option is to shove everything including the furniture into storage as then when my new flat is ready(if it ever is) I can just get man with van to collect everything from the depot and drive to new place 100 miles away.

3rd is just leave the furniture there but I am reluctant too as the tv though a CRT was the cream of the crop at the time with dolby surround speakers built into the glass stand and 3 rgb scart sockets and the stand thing would be perfect for a flat, the table is just a bog standard table but again would be nice.

The main reasoning is the friends flat is 40 miles away so would mean man with van twice, and on the 2nd time having man with van collect stuff from storage then drive 40 miles to my friends so a total of about 120 miles since its out of the way and the town I currently stay you can go direct to motorway and the friends flat is just going through small towns and back roads so its over 2 hours from my friends yet about a hour and a half from where I am now though its further.

I'm sorry, I don't know why we are being asked to help here. Your problem merely concerns a personal decision contrasting the inconvenience you will suffer by reorganising your belongings in one way with the cost of doing the alternative. I don't think any of us can help you.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
      I'm sorry, I don't know why we are being asked to help here. Your problem merely concerns a personal decision contrasting the inconvenience you will suffer by reorganising your belongings in one way with the cost of doing the alternative. I don't think any of us can help you.

P.P.
      It was mainly I dont know about storage i.e general costs, insurance etc as it may cost more to temporary move stuff to new place than storing it and I dont know any problems with storage i.e safety etc.

Was basically asking if anyone had any experience in this sort of thing what they think was the best answer.

Comment

wot is a CRT TV wen it's at ome?
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

CRT = cathode ray tube.

pm
          Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

Originally posted by duomaxwell View Post
            I have to be out in 2 weeks of my property, I have 3 options really 1st is to take my possessions bar my massive CRT tv, folding dinner table and clothes hanger on wheels thing by a man with van to my friends flat which I am looking after for a few weeks since he has a massive 2 part wardrobe which is empty at the minute, and 2 massive old boiler cupboards so I can get everything in.

The only issue I forsee with this is that my friend lives 40 miles away and the local cheap man with van may still charge about £60 maybe a bit more and means I will be living in a small flat for a few weeks which I dont really want to do.

2nd option is to shove everything including the furniture into storage as then when my new flat is ready(if it ever is) I can just get man with van to collect everything from the depot and drive to new place 100 miles away.

3rd is just leave the furniture there but I am reluctant too as the tv though a CRT was the cream of the crop at the time with dolby surround speakers built into the glass stand and 3 rgb scart sockets and the stand thing would be perfect for a flat, the table is just a bog standard table but again would be nice.

The main reasoning is the friends flat is 40 miles away so would mean man with van twice, and on the 2nd time having man with van collect stuff from storage then drive 40 miles to my friends so a total of about 120 miles since its out of the way and the town I currently stay you can go direct to motorway and the friends flat is just going through small towns and back roads so its over 2 hours from my friends yet about a hour and a half from where I am now though its further.
            Call local storage companies and get a quote, then you can decide. However what this has to do with this forum is beyond me.

Comment

Thanks PM - that was so obvious I just didn't see it! Having spent hours in electrical shops choosing a new TV for the world cup I just didn't think of the "old fashioned" CRT TVs - my old one (kids now have it for playstations) was enormous and weighed a ton!

Comment

Use one of the newish storage companies- 'Yellow' something?
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                  Use one of the newish storage companies- 'Yellow' something?
                  I believe they are quite expensive Jeff, and would be very surprised if the OP does go for the friend option. If you are looking for one of the big storage companies, then ring all of them as they offer deals from time to time to undercut each other i.e. 1st month free etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Barywhy View Post
                    I believe they are quite expensive Jeff,
                    If you call him that, he sends in the heavy mob...
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

and his fanboys

Comment

Call who what?

Comment

Originally posted by Barywhy View Post
                          Call who what?
                          'Call' me by the first four-sevenths of my name; don't.
                          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

I didnt mean to offend you. Is Mr J OK, or must it be Jeffrey

Just a heads up mate, as I think your tone was slightly aggressive, which I know is something that may upset some of the forum members.

P.S. What about Jeffers (seriously)?

Comment

Me, aggressive? Come outside and say that (but only if you are of the opinion that your degree of hardness is such that it is sufficiently resilient).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X