Landlord's responsibilty for repair of broken shower?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Landlord's responsibilty for repair of broken shower?

    Dear Forum,

    I have a bath and a shower in my flat but the shower keeps breaking down. The landlord has brought a plumber round about 10 times in the last 8 months now but each time the problem is patched up rather than repaired fully (we've been here 8 months - the shower has worked in total for about 3 weeks).

    The estate agent has told me that by law, if we have a working bath then the landlord is not obliged to fix the shower because we have an alternative means to wash. Is this true?

    I am aware of section 11 of the landlord and tenant act 1985 but am unclear:

    '(b) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity).'

    The point above obviously includes repairs to my bath but does it include repairs to a separate shower fitting if it is not explicitly listed? I understood 'sanitary conveniences' to mean toilets rather than any cleaning facility. Is the shower, according to this clause, classed as 'other fittings and appliances for makiing use of the supply of water'?

    Thanks for your help in clarifying this.


    Originally posted by ifecook View Post
    Thanks for your help in clarifying this.
    Personally I would have thought all that sanitation regs stuff was irrelevant - if you've taken on a property in which there was a shower that you were led to believe was properly working, then the landlord is obliged to mantain it.

    I'm a landlord myself but if I were a tenant looking for a property then the lack of a shower would be a 100% deal-breaker for me; I wouldn't even bother with a viewing.

    I'm struggling to work out what can be wrong with this shower that 10 plumbers' visits can't sort out - sounds total madness. How many hundreds of £ call-out charges is that? A brand-new shower fitted from scratch would be much cheaper. What sort of shower is it, and what's the problem?


      Thanks for your reply. I agree - I thought that if the shower was a fitting in the original contract then it should therefore be repaired and maintained.

      I'm not an expert in what the problem is but: the shower was replaced soon after we moved in but the manufacturer's plumber told me that it would not last long because the water tank was the wrong size, that the shower unit was placed at the wrong height in relation to the water tank and that to put it right would be a big job, moving the whole unit and involving something with the electrics.

      Since then the landlord's plumber has managed to get it working temporarily, but only if it is on half pressure and we don't use it for longer than 5 minutes! This patching up got the shower working for 3 weeks then it stopped. He repaired it another time and it lasted 1 day then stopped. The landlord seems happy to keep doing this repeatedly rather than get to the root of the problem.

      We'll just have to keep pushing him to fix it properly.


        If you say what type of shower you have you may get a response that will explain the problem, and a possible solution?

        From your last post it is possible to read that you have an instant heater shower but that it is fed from the water tank and not from mains pressure?

        Can you say what shower you have, make and model?

        For clarity if it is fed from the cold water water tank in the loft can you say so? If it is fed from the copper hot water storage cylinder can you tell?

        more information may help those here to help you?

        Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.


          Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post

          <snip>How many hundreds of £ call-out charges is that? A brand-new shower fitted from scratch would be much cheaper.<snip>
          Maybe there are no call out charges.
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Single parent renting
            by Hudson01
            This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
            18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
          • Single parent renting
            by Dct
            A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
            18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
          • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
            by Hudson01
            As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
            18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
          • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
            by Forgetmeknot
            I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
            so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
            18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
          • Reply to Let a house to local council
            by ram
            If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

            It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
            18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
          • Let a house to local council
            by r3drum

            Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

            Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
            20-11-2019, 11:58 AM
          • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
            by theartfullodger
            'phone Shelter 0808 800 4444 for advice.
            18-05-2022, 18:31 PM
          • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
            by abimsalabim
            As I said in the original post, the deposit is NOT in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme but, instead is being held directly by the Agent....
            18-05-2022, 18:31 PM
          • Is my estate agent misleading me?
            by abimsalabim
            I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
            18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
          • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
            by abimsalabim
            If the agent is refusing the mediate the dispute between the tenant and myself but, is instead asking me to go to court, what are my options in terms of penalising the agent? Apart from firing them, can I get compensation from them failing to provide their services?...
            18-05-2022, 18:29 PM