One of joint tenants now billed for old Council Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of joint tenants now billed for old Council Tax

hi...can anyone help me! i need some advice!!

i jus got a council tax bill 900 pounds for the apartment i rent 3 yrs ago.. i signed a 6 month joint tenancy with my fd. he is now go back to his country for good and not coming back.. i tried to contact him and he refused to pay half of the council tax said he wont be coming back to this country and he dun care. is that mean i have to pay it all for myself? are there n e chances that i can jus giv his detail to the council and they find him for the money?

its jus so unfair that i have to pay all this... hope you can giv me advice ..

Originally posted by oli0120 View Post
    is that mean i have to pay it all for myself?
    A joint tenancy means that you are both jointly and individually liable under the terms of the contract, so if the contract said the tenant is responsible for paying council tax, then you are liable.

are there n e chances that i can jus giv his detail to the council and they find him for the money?
    Highly unlikely if he is not resident in the UK.

I advise you to pay, because council tax is different to other types of debt - you can go to prison for not paying it.

Comment

Where have you been for the last 3years that the council have been unable to serve you with this bill? Did you not pay anything towards the CT when you lived there?
      Councils will generally be happy to accept a payment arrangement from you in the first instance if you contact them and explain your situation. As long as you stick to it, they shouldn't take any further action.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X