X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by nixog View Post
    The tenancy agreement expried january 24th 2010 the tennant has now moved out and there is rent areas due of £1200.00 they where living in the property till last week.

With the Tenancy agrement being expried what legal actions can be taken?
    Assuming this was an assured shorthold tenancy, in England/Wales, with rent less than £2,083.33 pcm, and a non-resident landlord, then, after the fixed term expired, a periodic tenancy automatically arose. This is sometimes known as a 'rolling' contract. So, there was still a valid contract in place, with the same terms as the 'expired' contract - and the same rental liability.

In order to pursue the ex-T for the debt, you must first find their new home address. A tracing agent may be able to do this for you - but you may need to wait longer than a week for their new details to enter the 'system' so to speak. I cannot personally recommend this company, but I have seen them recommended by others: http://www.findermonkey.co.uk/people-searches

Then, you write a letter before action to the T, detailing the exact amounts of rent owing, for which periods of the tenancy, and give a total owing. Say that you will issue a county court claim if they do not pay within 14 days.

Then, if they don't pay, issue a claim via Money Claim Online. You don't need a solicitor to do this. Court fees are low and are added to the claim.
    https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

I suggest you buy a book on the small claims procedure to guide you through the process; there are a few on Amazon.

Note that, if the T is unemployed, the chances of enforcing a CCJ are fairly slim.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    How much money do they owe you in total for unpaid rent and damage (if any) to the property?

Leave a comment:

• nixog
    started a topic Rent due by tenant

Rent due by tenant

The tenancy agreement expried january 24th 2010 the tennant has now moved out and there is rent areas due of £1200.00 they where living in the property till last week.

With the Tenancy agrement being expried what leagal actions can be taken?

Regards

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Prospective Tenant with IVA
    by Jon66
    IVAs have a high failure rate. Do you know which IP it is with, that might sway me? However an iva for me might mean bad life choices, and there's plenty of prospective tenants out there without this as an issue. How long have they been a couple?
    17-09-2021, 00:07 AM
  • Prospective Tenant with IVA
    by MassivePing
    Evening All,

I’ve seen and read previous posts on the above matter but just wanted thoughts on what you would do in my current situation.

I’m a private landlord not using a letting agency and spent most of last week with viewings of prospective tenants. The couple we chose...
    16-09-2021, 22:42 PM
  • Reply to Landlord Opinion Wasn't The Correct Opinion Then
    by Ted.E.Bear
    I suspect it was removed because they didn't ask for permission before their PM spamming.
    Some people have very weird ideas about how academics work....
    16-09-2021, 22:05 PM
  • Landlord Opinion Wasn't The Correct Opinion Then
    by landlord-man
    I see the 2 professors researching landlord opinion didnt much care for those opinions sfter all.

The thread appears to have gone.

We really do need to conform and not have our own thoughts - silly landlords!!...
    16-09-2021, 20:03 PM
  • Reply to Electrical Wiring Query
    by Neelix
    Who has decided it’s unsafe?...
    16-09-2021, 21:24 PM
  • Electrical Wiring Query
    by FindaLot
    If an appliance has been wired in a wholly unsuitable manner that has been deemed "unsafe", thus making it a potential safety hazard, what particular regulations would be applicable? There appears to be some overlap here, such as the General Product Safety Regs, Electrical Equipment Safety...
    16-09-2021, 19:42 PM
  • Reply to Annex
    by Dreamingofsea
    Would it be more convenient and practical for you to just give the annex it’s own washing machine? If there is a kitchen there will be somewhere you can plumb in a washing machine. Then (perhaps) being totally self sufficient it would give you a clear cut answer as to what contract to use eg an...
    16-09-2021, 21:09 PM
  • Annex
    by Lammas13
    I have a self contained annex, it has kitchen, shower, toilet and own entrance from the alleyway.
    when we bought our house it was already there. It was build with proper planning permission.
    How do I go about renting it out. Washing machine would have to be shares in the main house. ...
    15-09-2021, 17:44 PM
  • Reply to Landlord Opinion Wasn't The Correct Opinion Then
    by steaming
    I wrote a considered response from fifty years of experience both as a landlord and as working for a good and going the extra several miles letting agency and it wasn’t even published. The pool of rentable property will continue to shrink in proportion to the inability to regain control of the pr...
    16-09-2021, 21:05 PM
  • Reply to Landlord didnt tell us that our rented flat has unsafe cladding.
    by Hudson01
    The vast majority of residential dwellings in this country have mains gas and mains electricity...... there are far fewer that have combustable cladding on the outside of the dwelling, which then greatly increases the risk of a fatality should a fire start. I do not consider fire marshals the same as...
    16-09-2021, 20:49 PM
Working...
X