Raising deposit before I move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising deposit before I move

I am in the process of moving house, we have found the house we want, and told our present landlord we are moving in 4 weeks. We discussed with the new landlord the rent of £600 a month and 1 months rent as deposit £600. This was all OK for a couple of weeks, then suddenly he texts me to say he now wants £700 as "he has had problems with the current tenant," I have no ideas what problems, as the house was perfect when we viewed it and he even said he'd had no problems with the tenants all year.

Can he just increase the deposit like that? It really makes things hard, I will have to find an extra £100 which I needed to buy a washing machine. and I do really want the house. There was no written agreement yet, he was in the process of sending out our contracts. I mean how do I know in a couple more weeks he wont decide he wants £1000?? and then I will find myself homeless?

Problem: as you do not yet have a contract with L2, either party can change the deal or even not proceed.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by angryt View Post
      I am in the process of moving house, we have found the house we want, and told our present landlord we are moving in 4 weeks. We discussed with the new landlord the rent of £600 a month and 1 months rent as deposit £600. This was all OK for a couple of weeks, then suddenly he texts me to say he now wants £700 as "he has had problems with the current tenant," I have no ideas what problems, as the house was perfect when we viewed it and he even said he'd had no problems with the tenants all year.

Can he just increase the deposit like that? It really makes things hard, I will have to find an extra £100 which I needed to buy a washing machine. and I do really want the house. There was no written agreement yet, he was in the process of sending out our contracts. I mean how do I know in a couple more weeks he wont decide he wants £1000?? and then I will find myself homeless?
      Unless the property is such brilliant value that you just can't afford to pass it up, I would call his bluff and tell him that you are happy to stick to the deposit originally agreed otherwise you will look elsewhere. It will cost him £150 for each week extra it takes him to find a new T so he'd be mad not to agree.

If he doesn't agree to honour the original arrangement, do you really want a LL who messes you about like this?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

problem is mind the gap, that I actually REALLY love the place, and it is worth more than the rent and he probably knows it. I have been looking for a place for 5 months, it took me that long to find a place I loved. So I suppose i will have to cough up and pay the extra £100. But your right, I am worrying he may bt the type of LL to mess me around, I am looking for a long term move, not short term.

Fingers crossed then eh?

Comment

It's not really too different from where P:
          a. sees goods (in shop window) for sale at £600;
          b. visits shop a couple of weeks later; and
          c. finds that the price is now £700.

You have to decide if you want to pay the extra or 'buy'/rent elsewhere. 'V'/L is not bound by the originally-quoted 'price'/deposit figure.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            It's not really too different from where P:
            a. sees goods (in shop window) for sale at £600;
            b. visits shop a couple of weeks later; and
            c. finds that the price is now £700.

You have to decide if you want to pay the extra or 'buy'/rent elsewhere. 'V'/L is not bound by the originally-quoted 'price'/deposit figure.
            Not legally bound, no. But I would be wary of a LL who changed the terms like that.

On the other hand, it's not as though he's increasing the rent, just the deposit. If you are a good T you will get it all back anyway, however much you hand over.

I think there are places which will rent you a washing machine on a weekly basis, if you can't afford one outright.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I don't get the logic in increasing the deposit by £100. If he was upping it to 6 weeks rent I might understand it.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
                I don't get the logic in increasing the deposit by £100. If he was upping it to 6 weeks rent I might understand it.
                He's obviously just lost on the horses.

Comment

The original deposit was the same as one month's rent. It's likely that he's taking the sensible decision to ensure that the deposit is more than one month's rent to stop tenants not paying their last month's rent and saying "take it out of my deposit" which, of course, leaves nothing left for damages.

That could well be the "problem" with the previous tenants he referred to. If so, he's probably being somewhat reasonable as many landlords make their deposits equiv to 6 weeks rent minimum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Apportioning
                    by ash72
                    The calculation should be (monthly rent *12/365 * No. of days) to get the right cost per day.
                    23-07-2021, 14:40 PM
                  • Rent Apportioning
                    by London87
                    I have a query in respect to apportioning of rent.

If a tenant services notice to terminate the tenancy agreement under a break clause and the notice expires at a random day in the month - i.e. not at the end of the monthly rental period; will in this case the rent due for the last period...
                    23-07-2021, 11:13 AM
                    by London87
                    I understand the logic to pro-rate rent already paid when the notice is given during mid-month but the situation is different. In this case the notice to terminate was given 2+ months before expiry of the tenancy. So before the start of the last rental period (rent monthly payable in advance), it is...
                    23-07-2021, 14:36 PM
                    by ash72
                    You should not agree a random date to end the tenancy, it should finish on the day before the rent is due, as long as the correct notice has been given. It would then be at your discretion to then apportion the rent if you wanted to.
                    23-07-2021, 12:20 PM
                    by MdeB
                    As I understand it, the general principle is that rent is paid in advance for the month. If tenant chooses not to use the whole month, then they are not entitled to a refund.
                    23-07-2021, 11:28 AM
                  • Reply to Buying a UK Property as a holiday house, Short term rental options
                    by Lawcruncher
                    A significant flaw in your plan is that you want to use the property in June, July and August and the only possible lettings are holiday lettings when the popular months will be June, July and August.

Apart from that, if you want a flat there are all the snags (understatement!) associated...
                    23-07-2021, 09:25 AM
                  • Buying a UK Property as a holiday house, Short term rental options
                    by Kangaroos77
                    HI, I am a UK ex-pat living overseas and am considering buying an apartment in the UK when I retire for two purposes. One as a summer house to spend July, Aug, September in, and also to give my partner a UK base to make it easy for her if she decides that on my death she wishes to return to the UK....
                    22-07-2021, 07:01 AM
                  • Reply to Rent payment after S21 ends
                    by Bob Biscuits
                    Yes, hopefully it won't go that far as the council aren't aware that our S21 is not valid, and if/when it gets as far as court I will tell the court/letting agent that fact and it will buy us another few months, hopefully in which time we will find somewhere....
                    23-07-2021, 08:17 AM
                  • Rent payment after S21 ends
                    by Bob Biscuits
                    Hi all,

We were served a Section 21 which ended yesterday, 20th, and we are in the process of seeking alternate accommodation. Due to the nature of the rental market at present, we are still in the house as we haven't found anywhere else (I did have a thread on the actual notice itself...
                    21-07-2021, 14:48 PM
                  • Reply to Imminent eviction
                    by theartfullodger
                    Tenant is able to appeal court order (eg s21 invalidity ) up to time bailiffs walk up garden path. V unlikely, unlikely court would agree challenge, but theoretically possible.

Wait 'n see
                    23-07-2021, 07:00 AM
                  Working...
                  X