Raising deposit before I move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising deposit before I move

I am in the process of moving house, we have found the house we want, and told our present landlord we are moving in 4 weeks. We discussed with the new landlord the rent of £600 a month and 1 months rent as deposit £600. This was all OK for a couple of weeks, then suddenly he texts me to say he now wants £700 as "he has had problems with the current tenant," I have no ideas what problems, as the house was perfect when we viewed it and he even said he'd had no problems with the tenants all year.

Can he just increase the deposit like that? It really makes things hard, I will have to find an extra £100 which I needed to buy a washing machine. and I do really want the house. There was no written agreement yet, he was in the process of sending out our contracts. I mean how do I know in a couple more weeks he wont decide he wants £1000?? and then I will find myself homeless?

Problem: as you do not yet have a contract with L2, either party can change the deal or even not proceed.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by angryt View Post
      I am in the process of moving house, we have found the house we want, and told our present landlord we are moving in 4 weeks. We discussed with the new landlord the rent of £600 a month and 1 months rent as deposit £600. This was all OK for a couple of weeks, then suddenly he texts me to say he now wants £700 as "he has had problems with the current tenant," I have no ideas what problems, as the house was perfect when we viewed it and he even said he'd had no problems with the tenants all year.

Can he just increase the deposit like that? It really makes things hard, I will have to find an extra £100 which I needed to buy a washing machine. and I do really want the house. There was no written agreement yet, he was in the process of sending out our contracts. I mean how do I know in a couple more weeks he wont decide he wants £1000?? and then I will find myself homeless?
      Unless the property is such brilliant value that you just can't afford to pass it up, I would call his bluff and tell him that you are happy to stick to the deposit originally agreed otherwise you will look elsewhere. It will cost him £150 for each week extra it takes him to find a new T so he'd be mad not to agree.

If he doesn't agree to honour the original arrangement, do you really want a LL who messes you about like this?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

problem is mind the gap, that I actually REALLY love the place, and it is worth more than the rent and he probably knows it. I have been looking for a place for 5 months, it took me that long to find a place I loved. So I suppose i will have to cough up and pay the extra £100. But your right, I am worrying he may bt the type of LL to mess me around, I am looking for a long term move, not short term.

Fingers crossed then eh?

Comment

It's not really too different from where P:
          a. sees goods (in shop window) for sale at £600;
          b. visits shop a couple of weeks later; and
          c. finds that the price is now £700.

You have to decide if you want to pay the extra or 'buy'/rent elsewhere. 'V'/L is not bound by the originally-quoted 'price'/deposit figure.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            It's not really too different from where P:
            a. sees goods (in shop window) for sale at £600;
            b. visits shop a couple of weeks later; and
            c. finds that the price is now £700.

You have to decide if you want to pay the extra or 'buy'/rent elsewhere. 'V'/L is not bound by the originally-quoted 'price'/deposit figure.
            Not legally bound, no. But I would be wary of a LL who changed the terms like that.

On the other hand, it's not as though he's increasing the rent, just the deposit. If you are a good T you will get it all back anyway, however much you hand over.

I think there are places which will rent you a washing machine on a weekly basis, if you can't afford one outright.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I don't get the logic in increasing the deposit by £100. If he was upping it to 6 weeks rent I might understand it.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
                I don't get the logic in increasing the deposit by £100. If he was upping it to 6 weeks rent I might understand it.
                He's obviously just lost on the horses.

Comment

The original deposit was the same as one month's rent. It's likely that he's taking the sensible decision to ensure that the deposit is more than one month's rent to stop tenants not paying their last month's rent and saying "take it out of my deposit" which, of course, leaves nothing left for damages.

That could well be the "problem" with the previous tenants he referred to. If so, he's probably being somewhat reasonable as many landlords make their deposits equiv to 6 weeks rent minimum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Help - evicted tenant leaves a nasty surprise behind
                    by jpkeates
                    Try and change suppliers.
                    The outgoing supplier will do everything that they can to prevent this (the automated routes won't work), but they'll have to do it eventually.
                    30-07-2021, 11:12 AM
                  • Help - evicted tenant leaves a nasty surprise behind
                    by nreid
                    My tenant was evicted back in April of this year after a lengthy period.
                    Besides this trauma, the problems continue.

My new agent has emptied the letterbox and found a number of concerning items. One is the matter of a court summons for unpaid council tax. I have since taken over...
                    29-07-2021, 20:21 PM
                  • Reply to solicitors fees
                    by doobrey
                    It sounds like it. But as above ask for a breakdown of fees first and take it from there.

There is a Solicitors Regulation Authority. It has a Code of Conduct....
                    30-07-2021, 11:10 AM
                  • solicitors fees
                    by rob1648
                    Hi all , finally managed to get my tenant evicted after 18 months of hell using high court bailiffs , house now sold so happy days, we tried initially to do the section 21ourselves but made mistakes which citizens advice happily pointed out to our tenant so we decided to use a solicitor to act for us...
                    29-07-2021, 15:19 PM
                  • Reply to Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
                    by jpkeates
                    Assuming that you are a tenant (there's a good checker on the Shelter website - which might be useful to point your landlord at)..

There are a number of ways a tenancy can be brought to an end, but for a landlord to end the tenancy, there are only two options (other than by agreement with...
                    30-07-2021, 11:10 AM
                  • Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
                    by Yasmenaax
                    Hi there,

I moved into a property 2-3 months ago which was subletted to me by a girl named on the main tenancy contract of the property. I handed over a deposit (which is currently unprotected) and have paid rent on time. She today decided to give me notice to leave, giving me only 2 weeks...
                    29-07-2021, 02:19 AM
                    by Piffy
                    We had a very high solicitors charge but my partner noticed in their terms & conditions that they had put that if their charges were going to go over £5000 they would contact us first, which they had not done, so the bill was reduced to £5000 plus Vat at £1000.
                    And I believe that there...
                    30-07-2021, 11:06 AM
                    by Hudson01
                    We all understand that they are not known for their charitable nature...... but 9k !!!! As has been said, ask for a detailed breakdown of exactly how they have spent a weeks worth of time (avrg 48hr week) to deal with this simple (non contested) S21....... Wow
                    30-07-2021, 11:00 AM
                    by Section20z
                    It's not just the hours don't forget, it takes six years training to learn how to inflate fees like that...
                    30-07-2021, 10:45 AM
                  • Reply to Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
                    by Yasmenaax
                    Appreciate the clarification, I did do a lot of digging around after you first mentioned exclusive occupation into the laws regarding this so I definitely understand your point there now. And as far as I can tell from that, my being here should constitute the requirements of a (sub)tenancy.
                    30-07-2021, 10:35 AM
                  Working...
                  X