Deposit not protected with AST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit not protected with AST

I let out a property to a couple in September 2007 on a 6 month AST. I protected this deposit with Mydeposits. Before expiry of that AST we entered into another AST but for which I did not protect the deposit(completely unknowingly and the tenant have never complained about it). Between September 2007 and now we have done 5 AST agreements but only the first one was protected with MyDeposits.

The last AST expired on March 28, 2010 and since then the tenants are living on an SPT. On April 28, 2010 I served them a section 21b to vaccate the property on July 25, 2010 and the tenant has confirmed to me that they will be moving out on June 30(they have confirmed by email - is that valid?) as they have already found a new property. That is fine by me.

The problem is that they have not paid the rent for the last month(due 1st of each month) and I am concerned that I would have to foot too much bill cleaning up the mess etc. However, since I am on the wrong side of the law (presumably?) I wonder if need to protect the deposit NOW even though the tenant has already deducted it from the last month's rent? Will I be able to take them to court for any damages to the property?

The specific clause related to the tenancy deposit in our written AST agreement goes something like this ...
    The deposit of £ 800 (Eight Hundred British Pounds) paid by the tenant for the previous term of tenancy contract will be retained by the landlord. Details of the tenancy insurance have already been provided to the tenant.

Thanks.

What has happened with the first deposit paid in 2007? Is this still held by MyDeposits?
    PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

When i first protected the deposit in 2007 I kept the 800 quid and paid (if i remember right) 50 pounds to Mydeposits. When the first AST expired apparently I should have bought another protection? Which I unfortunately did not. And nor for any of the later ASTs (I renewed tenancies every 6 months with a new AST) until the last one which expired on March 28 this year and now the property is in SPT. Does that help?

Comment

A renewal is a new letting. Its deposit needs reprotecting (even though the £££ paid was never handed-back from L to T or newly paid from T to L).
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by kkarank View Post
          When i first protected the deposit in 2007 I kept the 800 quid and paid (if i remember right) 50 pounds to Mydeposits. When the first AST expired apparently I should have bought another protection? Which I unfortunately did not. And nor for any of the later ASTs (I renewed tenancies every 6 months with a new AST) until the last one which expired on March 28 this year and now the property is in SPT. Does that help?
          You can protect it for free at http://www.depositprotection.com Make sure you provide your tenant with the 'prescribed information'.

At the time of writing, this will protect you from any legal claims re late protection.

Any damages can be sued for, only you can decide if you have adaquate proof and if the tenant has adequate assets to make it worthwhile.

Comment

But will the late protection count if the tenant has already adjusted the last month's rent against the deposit?

Also, I tried to call the DPS but I was told that I must seek legal advise in this matter as the tenancy has now become periodic and almost 7 months late.

Comment

Originally posted by kkarank View Post
              But will the late protection count if the tenant has already adjusted the last month's rent against the deposit?
              In law the deposit is still the tenants until you prove it is legally due to you. If you choose not to protect, the tenant will be able to claim the deposit back through the court and has the option to sue for the statutory penalty of 3x the deposit value. You could, of course, counterclaim for the missing rent but you would still be liable for the penalty. As this wouldn't be 'small claims', you could also end up being liable for your tenants legal fees (how much per hour is a solicitor?)

I am not saying any of this WILL happen, but it is very possible.

Interestingly, the lack of deposit protection renders your s21 invalid.
              Also, I tried to call the DPS but I was told that I must seek legal advise in this matter as the tenancy has now become periodic and almost 7 months late.
              DPS won't give legal advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Apportioning
                by ash72
                The calculation should be (monthly rent *12/365 * No. of days) to get the right cost per day.
                23-07-2021, 14:40 PM
              • Rent Apportioning
                by London87
                I have a query in respect to apportioning of rent.

If a tenant services notice to terminate the tenancy agreement under a break clause and the notice expires at a random day in the month - i.e. not at the end of the monthly rental period; will in this case the rent due for the last period...
                23-07-2021, 11:13 AM
                by London87
                I understand the logic to pro-rate rent already paid when the notice is given during mid-month but the situation is different. In this case the notice to terminate was given 2+ months before expiry of the tenancy. So before the start of the last rental period (rent monthly payable in advance), it is...
                23-07-2021, 14:36 PM
              • Reply to Capital Gains Tax - do I need an accountant?
                by plgeorgiev
                Property tax and in general all tax has always been complicated to me, so I prefer letting my accountant care for these things.
                In regard to Capital gains, because I'm a foreigner I found an Irish based tax agent that prepares tax returns internationally and they saved me a lot of time and money....
                23-07-2021, 14:14 PM
              • Capital Gains Tax - do I need an accountant?
                by zoreh
                Hi, i’m wondering whether it’s necessary to use an accountant to calculate CGT and submit it on HMRC website. I’m aware of the CGT rate and allowance, so can easily figure out the capital gains. I have also kept a list of the financial costs, conveyancing and other costs related to purchasing...
                21-07-2021, 11:49 AM
                by ash72
                You should not agree a random date to end the tenancy, it should finish on the day before the rent is due, as long as the correct notice has been given. It would then be at your discretion to then apportion the rent if you wanted to.
                23-07-2021, 12:20 PM
                by MdeB
                As I understand it, the general principle is that rent is paid in advance for the month. If tenant chooses not to use the whole month, then they are not entitled to a refund.
                23-07-2021, 11:28 AM
              • Reply to Buying a UK Property as a holiday house, Short term rental options
                by Lawcruncher
                A significant flaw in your plan is that you want to use the property in June, July and August and the only possible lettings are holiday lettings when the popular months will be June, July and August.

Apart from that, if you want a flat there are all the snags (understatement!) associated...
                23-07-2021, 09:25 AM
              • Buying a UK Property as a holiday house, Short term rental options
                by Kangaroos77
                HI, I am a UK ex-pat living overseas and am considering buying an apartment in the UK when I retire for two purposes. One as a summer house to spend July, Aug, September in, and also to give my partner a UK base to make it easy for her if she decides that on my death she wishes to return to the UK....
                22-07-2021, 07:01 AM
              • Reply to Rent payment after S21 ends
                by Bob Biscuits
                Yes, hopefully it won't go that far as the council aren't aware that our S21 is not valid, and if/when it gets as far as court I will tell the court/letting agent that fact and it will buy us another few months, hopefully in which time we will find somewhere....
                23-07-2021, 08:17 AM
              Working...
              X