Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving out and can't contact landlord

Hi All,

We sent notice to our landlord two weeks ago by recorded delivery which was signed for after 3 days (1st class post) and said to be delivered from a different delivery office so they have moved and are using mail redirection.

We have written to them, left them voicemail to contact us and are unable to get hold of them.

The final months rent I sent by cheque with the notice (usually just send bank payment but wanted to see the cheque cashed to make doubly sure they got the letter) but the cheque has not been cashed.

What can we do if our moving out date comes round and we're unable to contact our landlord? I'm thinking that all I can do is to take pictures and see a solicitor who can post on the keys to the landlords address that I have along with give me proof that I've done this?

Any ideas?

As long as your LL received your notice (as he would seem to have done), and the notice was validly served, then he cannot object to your moving out when your notice expires.

If it is simply a question of the inventory and returning the keys, then yes, I would take a photo-inventory yourself, in case he claims you left it filthy, etc. Is your deposit protected in a scheme?

I would not bother paying a solicitor to pass on the keys though - just send them to your LL's new address by guaranteed next day delivery (you can track this via Royal Mail and prove it reached him, or at least that RM tried to deliver it and left a card telling him how to collect it if he was out).
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

If it is simply a question of the inventory and returning the keys, then yes, I would take a photo-inventory yourself, in case he claims you left it filthy, etc.
      That's what I thought. Will I need an independant witness to certify the photographs or anything otherwise surely we could have just taken them on the day we moved in?

Is your deposit protected in a scheme?
      No deposit to worry about as the LL didn't want one! I just like to do things properly.

I would not bother paying a solicitor to pass on the keys though - just send them to your LL's new address by guaranteed next day delivery (you can track this via Royal Mail and prove it reached him, or at least that RM tried to deliver it and left a card telling him how to collect it if he was out).
      Yeah, this is probably the cheapest method but it still seems wrong to move out without any contact with the LL. They're nice people whenever we've met them but if we can't contact them then there's not much more we can do!

Comment

Hi,

I'm speaking from a scottish Law perspective, so possibly talk to CAB.However, the Landlord is obliged to be registered with the local authority. Speak to Landlord registration Office and also put your request in writing.You should be able to get the landlords new address within 21 days I believe. Failing that, sounds like yoyr lawyer will need to track then dowm through inland revenue or national insurance etc.

Sorry I can't be of more help,

Good luck,

Angela

Comment

Originally posted by Disillusioned View Post
          Hi,

I'm speaking from a scottish Law perspective, so possibly talk to CAB.However, the Landlord is obliged to be registered with the local authority. Speak to Landlord registration Office and also put your request in writing.
          The law in England/Wales is not the same as in Scotland. There is no requirement for landlords in England/Wales to be registered with the local authority. (Some HMOs do, however, require a licence).

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for everyone's help on this.

As coincidences go, the LL called me this morning as he has been on holiday for a couple of weeks and another family member signed for the letter but didn't even open it!

Anyways, all sorted now!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Apportioning
              by ash72
              The calculation should be (monthly rent *12/365 * No. of days) to get the right cost per day.
              23-07-2021, 14:40 PM
            • Rent Apportioning
              by London87
              I have a query in respect to apportioning of rent.

If a tenant services notice to terminate the tenancy agreement under a break clause and the notice expires at a random day in the month - i.e. not at the end of the monthly rental period; will in this case the rent due for the last period...
              23-07-2021, 11:13 AM
              by London87
              I understand the logic to pro-rate rent already paid when the notice is given during mid-month but the situation is different. In this case the notice to terminate was given 2+ months before expiry of the tenancy. So before the start of the last rental period (rent monthly payable in advance), it is...
              23-07-2021, 14:36 PM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax - do I need an accountant?
              by plgeorgiev
              Property tax and in general all tax has always been complicated to me, so I prefer letting my accountant care for these things.
              In regard to Capital gains, because I'm a foreigner I found an Irish based tax agent that prepares tax returns internationally and they saved me a lot of time and money....
              23-07-2021, 14:14 PM
            • Capital Gains Tax - do I need an accountant?
              by zoreh
              Hi, i’m wondering whether it’s necessary to use an accountant to calculate CGT and submit it on HMRC website. I’m aware of the CGT rate and allowance, so can easily figure out the capital gains. I have also kept a list of the financial costs, conveyancing and other costs related to purchasing...
              21-07-2021, 11:49 AM
              by ash72
              You should not agree a random date to end the tenancy, it should finish on the day before the rent is due, as long as the correct notice has been given. It would then be at your discretion to then apportion the rent if you wanted to.
              23-07-2021, 12:20 PM
              by MdeB
              As I understand it, the general principle is that rent is paid in advance for the month. If tenant chooses not to use the whole month, then they are not entitled to a refund.
              23-07-2021, 11:28 AM
            • Reply to Buying a UK Property as a holiday house, Short term rental options
              by Lawcruncher
              A significant flaw in your plan is that you want to use the property in June, July and August and the only possible lettings are holiday lettings when the popular months will be June, July and August.

Apart from that, if you want a flat there are all the snags (understatement!) associated...
              23-07-2021, 09:25 AM
            • Buying a UK Property as a holiday house, Short term rental options
              by Kangaroos77
              HI, I am a UK ex-pat living overseas and am considering buying an apartment in the UK when I retire for two purposes. One as a summer house to spend July, Aug, September in, and also to give my partner a UK base to make it easy for her if she decides that on my death she wishes to return to the UK....
              22-07-2021, 07:01 AM
            • Reply to Rent payment after S21 ends
              by Bob Biscuits
              Yes, hopefully it won't go that far as the council aren't aware that our S21 is not valid, and if/when it gets as far as court I will tell the court/letting agent that fact and it will buy us another few months, hopefully in which time we will find somewhere....
              23-07-2021, 08:17 AM
            Working...
            X