Letting agents letting themselves into the property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting agents letting themselves into the property

I don’t know if anyone has any advice. We are in the last two months of our tenancy and as you would expect the landlady as put an agent on the case of getting her new tenants. We have no problem with them showing people round at all, but what I find slightly worrying is the call from the agents informing me of a viewing, and the reassuring me that no-one needed to be in as they had their own set of keys to the property and could let themselves in.

I don’t really like the idea of strangers wandering round the house when none of us are in, but I am not sure how to approach this. I don’t want to upset anyone but the idea creeps me out a bit.

Sounds O.K. to me: Landlady has appointed agents to find her a new tenant and supplied a copy of the keys to facilitate viewings. Agent has a possible potential tenant who requires a viewing and is approaching current tenant (you) for permission to view. In order to facilitate this viewing, agent tells you that you don't have to go out of your way to be in as he has a key if you will give him permission to use it. If you dont want this then obviously you can either refuse permission or make the necessary effort to be present when the viewing takes place.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Agree with P.Pilcher.

If you are concerned about valuables etc., why not keep them out of sight for the day(s) when viewings are scheduled.

Or arrange for a friend/relative to be present, if you can't be there?

Comment

try not to refuse

One thing do not try to refuse the agent or landlord. There is normally a clause AST contracts these days that says the landlord or his appointed contractors should be allowed to gain access prior letting the tenant know. If you come across as being awkward because you dont like the idea of them being in the house without you being, there is a good chance the landlord will be awkward with you.

Comment

Originally posted by mop121 View Post
          One thing do not try to refuse the agent or landlord. There is normally a clause AST contracts these days that says the landlord or his appointed contractors should be allowed to gain access prior letting the tenant know. If you come across as being awkward because you dont like the idea of them being in the house without you being, there is a good chance the landlord will be awkward with you.
          I would disagree with this. Whilst I wouldn't suggest you be 'awkward' with your landlord, no one can enter the property without your permission - that's not the same as telling you they'll be there.

Access by landlords/agents is a slightly grey area, even if specified in the tenancy agreement, and the only sure-fire way for a landlord to gain access without the tenants permission is a court order.

A telephone call to agent/landlord outlining when you will be happy for them to have access isn't unreasonable - say evenings between 6 & 8, or Thursday afternoons.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X