X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mitmystery
    replied
    Hi Jta,

The problem is that the toilet is fitted in behind a tiled wall and the this would require some serious work to repair. The issue here is that not only would we be landed with this cost but would also have the high water bill to deal with and with no support from our landlord were stuck. I would happily negiotiate with the landlord but need him or his agent to repspond to us. It seems that we may have to look at some form of a legal route to encourage a response.

Leave a comment:

• mitmystery
    replied
    Thanks Snorkerz that is really good to know, gives us another avenue to pursue.

Leave a comment:

• mitmystery
    replied
    Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for this valuable information I think you may be right here and this may be some potential ammo for us to use. Will need to read up on it a bit more but thank you very much really appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• mitmystery
    replied
    Hi Interlaken,

Thanks we are on a water meter, thats an options we are going to try. Also I assume United Utilites will have some sort of vested interest in repairing leaks and ultimately saving the water wastage.

Leave a comment:

• jta
    replied
    I know this will sound a bit unsympathetic, but if there are are only half a dozen or so flats why not just change the inlet valves and have done with it yourselves.

I know you should not have to pay for the work but why run up such a huge potential bill when it only takes a few minutes to solve the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Originally posted by mitmystery View Post
    a number of problems with the flat had been outlined in the inventory with promises from the agent that problems would be resolved.
    Do you have these promises in writing?
    The agents are completely non responsive and not willing to even let us discuss with the landlord.
    Do you have the landlords details? If not, write and request them from the agent, they have to provide them within 21 days. (section 1, Landlord & Tenant Act 1985)

Leave a comment:

• dominic
    replied
    Also, talk to the water supplier and see if they have any powers to charge the LL directly for the consumption attributable to him.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Read-up on s.11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. Is L in breach of duties under it?

Leave a comment:

• Interlaken
    replied
    I take it your water is metered - get on to the supplier and see if they can force landlord to do something.

With such an irresponsible landlord have you thought of moving?

Leave a comment:

• mitmystery
    started a topic Non responsive landlord and agent

Non responsive landlord and agent

Hi All,

Sorry this is more a question from a tenant then a landlords perspective but we require some serious advice as we are coming across a number of problems now. We moved into a one bedroom flat in February where a number of problems with the flat had been outlined in the inventory with promises from the agent that problems would be resolved. Here is a list of the problems we identified:

loose kitchen sink
    fire alarm disconnected and not maintained (I thought this would be a legal issue and they should not have allowed us to move in)
    problems with electrics

To date only the electrical problems have been dealt with by the agent and nothing else has been addressed. The agents are completely non responsive and not willing to even let us discuss with the landlord. We have now come across a larger problem. A number of flats within the same complex have a problem with toilets continually leaking which has caused the water meter to rise exponentially to potential bill of nearly £2000.

The landlord nor the agent will respond to our any of the problems and our water bill continues to rise. There is a simple fix to this issue but we have been explicitly told by the agent not to have any work done and they will not compensate for any unauthorized work. They say the landlord needs to authorise this work but he will not respond. We are in no way being unreasonable but really need some advice on how to take this further. Also as you can imagine being landed with a bill of nearly £2000 is not feasible.

Anyone have any ideas on how best to approach this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you...

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X