Deposit not in a protection scheme - what now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit not in a protection scheme - what now?

Hi there,

I've recently moved out of a rented flat. I began the tenancy in Feb 2007, then renewed tenancy in Sept 2008 signing a complete new tenancy agreement under joint names with my then new flat mate. As I understand it, the new tenancy agreement means that the deposit should be placed in a deposit protection scheme.

I've checked with the 3 deposit protection schemes listed on direct.gov.uk and have emails from all to say the deposit is not in one of their schemes.

The former landlord has pushed me to take these investigative steps, after charging me 80% of the costs to recarpet the whole flat, when really the flat was left in a very good condition. I sought the name of the TDS in order to take the dispute further.

When I asked recently if the deposit was in a scheme the landlord assured me that it was, but hasn't provided any details. He has many properties and is a professional landlord, so I can't imagine why he would take this risk.

Since finding out the information from the 3 TDS' above, I left a message & an email with my landlord stating that we should reconsider the approach to how my deposit is returned in order to avoid court action, but I have had no response. I cannot get an answer on his phone.

I feel that my only option now is to begin court proceedings, following a letter before action.

Question 1: What angle should I take? Do I:
    1. Go for broke - hit him for the full 3x penalty + full deposit back straight away?
    2. Just pursue for the original deposit back

Question 2: Would the landlord be able to complicate the case by bringing the cost of replacing the carpets into it? Or would that be for a separate court case? There was a mark on one of the carpets when I left, but I consider it to be very minor. I certainly shouldn't be paying 80% of the cost, although I wouldn't blame him for asking for some kind of contribution on the one room.

Question 3: Is the case of an unprotected deposit pretty open & shut, or will I need the help of a solicitor?

Thanks,
    Chris

Q1. & 3 - the 3x deposit situation is quite risky for a tenant as there are (at present) easy ways for a landlord to avoid it. It is not dealt with in the small claims track, so you could be liable for some of the landlords legal fees (that's a could, not a would). As it's not small claims, you would probably want to employ a solicitor.

Claiming the deposit only is easy - you can do it via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. It is quite simple and not extremely expensive. There will be books in your local library (or Amazon) to guide you through the process.

Q2. The LL can counterclaim for any damages he thinks are reasonable - BUT... He will have to prove the condition of the damaged carpet at the start of the tenancy (Sept 08), and I suspect he didn't take an inventory then. Even if he did, and you had totally trashed the carpet, I wouldn't expect him to be awarded more than 40-50% of the carpet value, presuming it was new when you first moved in in Feb 07.

You are welcome to use this letter before action if you like

Comment

Thanks Snorkerz - there's some food for thought there. Not as easy as I thought then!

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
      Q1. & 3 - the 3x deposit situation is quite risky for a tenant as there are (at present) easy ways for a landlord to avoid it.
      I read about some cases in the high court being held this month that may provide some landmark rulings in respect of the 2004 Act. Hopefully this will help bring a fair balance back to situations such as mine.

Out of interest, how can landlords avoid the 3x deposit situation?

Thanks again,
      Chris

Comment

They avoid it by protecting the deposit! Making it easier for you to get it back therefore.

Snorkerz advice is solid, though I would add that one thing you could do is fill out the claim form BUT don't sign or submit it, and include that in your letter before action, adding that if no happy conclusion is reached, this will be signed and submitted.

Comment

Originally posted by eternal_tenant View Post
          I read about some cases in the high court being held this month that may provide some landmark rulings in respect of the 2004 Act. Hopefully this will help bring a fair balance back to situations such as mine.
          Quite right - hence my comment about "at present".
          Out of interest, how can landlords avoid the 3x deposit situation?
          If the deposit is either protected with DPS or returned to the tenant before the court hearing, the 3x would not apply. It hinges on the fact that the legislation does not provide for a penalty for late protection, just for non-protection.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
            by Forgetmeknot
            Thankyou for your replies.

Taking on board your comments but interested in how you think it is two separate things….?
            One action was the direct cause of another land if I’m in court disputing amount of money owed isn’t that the time to be arguing my case? Not to be receiving...
            19-05-2022, 08:32 AM
          • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
            by Forgetmeknot
            I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
            so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
            18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
          • Reply to Single parent renting
            by doobrey
            Certainly.

In my view, both sides must be free to choose. If you take away the right of businesses (which LLs are, whether they consider themselves to be or not) to assess risk and respond accordingly they will not be in business for very long. And if the LLs disappear then...
            19-05-2022, 08:18 AM
          • Single parent renting
            by Dct
            A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
            18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
            by Dct
            The UC is too help pay for childcare, so she can work ( and does work full time), therefore pay rent/bills etc etc. It just feels like some landlords make sweeping judgements as soon as they hear single parent in receipt of UC
            19-05-2022, 08:16 AM
          • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
            by DoricPixie
            You don't need to get the details from the Land Registry. The tenant can request, in writing, the letting agency to supply the landlord's contact details citing the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. I'm not sure how wise that would be if it could potentially hack off the landlord although I do wonder...
            19-05-2022, 08:09 AM
          • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
            by Renterthedragon
            I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
            18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
            by jpkeates
            Dct If the reason that your friend can't get a tenancy is because she's a woman or because she has children, it is probably discriminatory.
            Which is probably a reason no one is going to explain why she's being turned down.

Being on benefits isn't going to help either - because people...
            19-05-2022, 08:02 AM
            by jpkeates
            I can't tell you how hacked off I would be if one of my tenants did that.

The agreement has a price variation clause in it, the landlord and tenant have both agreed to it,...
            19-05-2022, 07:58 AM
            by theartfullodger
            Spend £3 with gov.uk land registry and get deeds which will get owner name and address then communicate directly
            Agree with above advice

Agent probably wants new agreement signed so they charge landlord fees....
            19-05-2022, 07:21 AM
          Working...
          X