Evicting tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evicting tenants

Ive rented out properties for 12 years and always managed to persuade tenants to leave if not paying rent.

Have 2 tenants now in 5 bed multiple let who have brought in dogs and scared all the other tenants away with threats.

They stopped paying rent, changed locks and refused all access. They say they are never leaving, I owe them thousands of pounds for invented decorating and say I have violently attacked them and their friends will lie as witnesses - all lies - if I dont leave them alone they will try to get me in jail for their lies

I now have very good solicitor, he has achieved accelerated possession on 1 with bailiffs in next 2 weeks, the other I have result of accelerated possession shortly

Can anyone advise with following issues:

1. How to stop them smashing the place up when they leave
    2. They are threatening to smash the place up if i dont pay them thousands of pounds up front (they might still smash it up if i paid). I have a letter which hints "the place will be fine if you pay up..."
    3. How to claim back arrears for them and the 3 vacant rooms they were responsible for, for last 5 months - small claims?
    4. How to change the law so if people dont pay you can take your house back in a month - it is governments responsibility to house people not mine (i have seen my MP and he agrees and wants a private members bill)!!

Any comments?

1. Go see the Bailiffs at the county court - see Bailiff Manager, explain concerns and ask if they can attend without giving prior warning - they might not, but it is worth a try. See Police and ask for police attendance at any eviction.

2. Show bailiffs and police the letter.

3. County Court proceedings with Ordinary Default summons - likely they will not answer it and you will get default judgment which you will then have to enforce. Before you throw good money after bad, ask yourself if you are likely to get them to pay up and whether or not if you push it, will they victimise your property or yourself.

4. You aint a cat in hells chance of the law altering in the way you suggest. The government do not want to see the days of Rachman and his friends reappear and that is the good reason why all possessions are by court order - and courts being what they are, full of litigants and defendants, take time to list hearings - the wheel of justice turn slowly and if you want evidence of that - look at that poor teacher who was sent to jail for 6 months for firing an air pistol at the feet of the vandals who had tormented her for months - refused bail pending appeal which is now to be 6th May - and in the meantime, whilst locked up, she is likely to lose her job We all have our breaking point sooner or later!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I will try some of your suggestions. However,

5. The tenants may decide to go at any time in next 3 weeks and probably won't wait for bailiffs - so they are free to damage as the mood takes them.

6. The tenants have assets, cars and 1 has a house half owned by himself and his exwife - so may be some mileage in claiming rent owed

7. The argument on changing the law I disagree with - the law has been changed many times since Rackmann - the acts of 1988 and 1996 amendmendent to give accelerated procedure, prove that the law can be changed if evidence supports the fairness of change. From my experience human nature and what is normal has changed dramatically in the last 10 years and legislation is required for a huge number of thinks that "people would never have dreamed of doing a while ago" hence ASBOs, curfews etc...It just needs popular support to implement not negativity

Comment

If the tenant has put his threats in writing (hints like these are sufficient) go to the police.
        People can't just make threats and not bear the consequences.

Regarding changing the law, it's worth a try, but to be realistic you would need a lot more people asking for the same thing as you.
        Bear in mind that although you have good reasons to evict tenants ASAP, some less scrupulous landlords would use loopholes to abuse/evict perfectly good tenants and this is why the law is what it is now.

I do however agree that tenants threatening to damage properties, not paying rent and just being the tenants from hell should be treated as what they are and suffer the consequences of their attitude.

Comment

Can you enlighten us with these loopholes....?

Comment

I wasn't talking about anything in particular.

I was merely referring to the past when tenants used to get ripped off by unscrupulous landlords which led to the current legislation.
            Any new legislation would have to make sure it isn't easy for LLs to throw tenants out easily (to prevent abuse) and the only way is court, and court takes time.

Comment

But where would landlords actually be throwing them out from - it seems it is the landlords house not the tenants - if the tenant cant pay he should go in 1 or 2 months - if he has no place to live then the government should house him.

Thats exactly the point. It is my house - the contract was agreed. Even with fast track it takes a minimum of 7 months to evict legally - and dont let anyone say otherwise:

2 weeks to notice a problem
              2 weeks to get solicitor invoved and draft the notice
              2 weeks average to ensure notice is served on exact anniversary of renewal period of tenancy - this can easily be 6 weeks if date is missed
              2 months must expire of notice
              apply to court for possession - 2 weeks to get papers to court, 3 weeks for judge to decide
              court sets date when tenant must go - 5 weeks later
              tenant ignores it - apply for bailiffs - 2 weeks for solicitor, 3 weeks for judge to decide
              bailiff set for 5 weeks later

Total time: 34 weeks minimum

If tenant defends the fast track then it can be many months more
              If any error in paperwork however small - start from the beginning again

Are you seriously telling me that is fair - these are MINIMUM times.

Comment

If you think it's unfair then talk to your MP and get things changed if you can.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
                  by HobbitShire
                  Sorry but I must reitterate that she DID provide all documents which were initially requested before both parties signed the lease. This new, rigid requirement for a utility bill only came a day before the agreed move-in date.

This is not a case of a prospective tenant having no paper trail....
                  20-01-2022, 01:28 AM
                • Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
                  by HobbitShire
                  My partner has recently signed a lease through a well known property agent in London.

The lease was also signed by the landlord. References from current + previous employer, landlord, etc, and proof of address were requested before signing, and provided.

Upon signing the lease...
                  20-01-2022, 00:57 AM
                  by HobbitShire
                  Firstly, she already provided the previous lease, along with a document from the municipality of Amsterdam stating that she was registered as living there. I paid the bills as we were living together, and she has closed her Dutch bank account (as is required when you are no longer a resident). I'm sure...
                  20-01-2022, 01:11 AM
                  by Jon66
                  No bank statements with the old address on? These are available freely from your online account, or previous utility bills, council tax bills etc. I find it difficult to accept that they are unable to provide something. I would have concerns if you were my prospective tenant. You need to provide the...
                  20-01-2022, 01:02 AM
                • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
                  by minorbark
                  When you put it like that I'm more inclined to edge towards the S21 route regardless. As much as part of me feels some compassion for the guy and doesn't want to lump more stress on top of someone who appears to be struggling already, as has been said before, none of us are acting as a charity.
                  19-01-2022, 22:51 PM
                • Property damaged. Advice please
                  by minorbark
                  Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
                  18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
                  by minorbark
                  Thank you.

My initial contact with the police was just a phone call to the local station. As I almost half expected they wouldn't give up much info, I didn't particularly push back when they said as much and I left it at that. A formal complaint might fill in a few blanks in the story but...
                  19-01-2022, 22:37 PM
                  by Hudson01
                  A back door way into finding out what did happen (or more info than you have now), is to ask for a callback from the local PCSO who covers the beat area where the tenant lives (go online and start a live chat), he or she will know far more about your tenant that a faceless comms operator at HQ or anyone...
                  19-01-2022, 22:17 PM
                  by DoricPixie
                  Just because someone knocks on your door, even if it crescendos to them banging loudly on your door, it doesn’t mean you have to answer it or have to go and investigate.

If the tenant suffers from mental health issues and the police were sent round because someone thought the tenant’s...
                  19-01-2022, 21:47 PM
                  by WebLand
                  From painful personal experience of this issue... You should formally contact the police, ask them why they broke the door down and ask for compensation. Their lawyer will then write to you with some information which may be useful for you to know (but not giving very much detail). I expect they'll...
                  19-01-2022, 21:31 PM
                Working...
                X