As a landlord am I obligated to install central heating system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zhujier
    replied
    Thank you everyone. Thank you Westminster. You are an angel. Your explanation is clear and of great help.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Originally posted by bullybantam View Post
    No legal obligation, but some organisations insist on it. For example student lets organised via a Uni often require central heating - not sure why as beer, wacky backy, pizza & a PS3 are all that most students need.
    Good luck renting a property to students in my area without central heating.

Central heating, smart kitchen, quality furnishings, central heating are standard (at least in my homes).

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by zhujier View Post
    It sounds to me like a building survey. Do I need to do one?
    Possibly, if you didn't have one done when you bought the property, but there's no legal obligation in terms of the T to have one done. Most disrepair is fairly obvious - a leaking roof, rotting windows, etc; the rest can be dealt with by getting a qualified Gas Safe plumbing engineer, and an NICEIC qualified electrician to inspect and advise you. Also note that the T has a responsibility to report disrepair to you - for example, if the loo started to leak, you do not have an obligation to repair it until it is reported to you, and if the T delayed reporting the leak for several weeks so that it caused more damage, the T would be liable for that extra damage, because they failed to report it immediately.

Are there any specific service helping landlord to do all these inspections
    You could employ an agent to manage the property, to inspect and arrange repairs. But it'd cost you maybe 10% of the rent or more, and the cost of the actual repairs is likely to be more than if you organized it yourself. If you do employ someone, make sure they belong to a professional body - if you're not sure, check on the forum first before signing up with anybody.

and issue relevant certificates like EPC, gas safty certificate, electrical safe certificate and inventory check?
    You do not need an EPC as this is not a new tenancy. You don't need an electrical safety certificate, (but you do need to ensure that the electrics are safe, as previously advised). If the property has a gas supply, you must provide T with an annual gas safety certificate; you can find a qualified engineer here http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/.

I've never heard of a LL carrying out an inventory check 20 years after the tenancy commenced, but I suppose it's still possible and probably sensible. Find a clerk via http://www.theaiic.co.uk/

Another thing which would be advisable is to check that your insurance is adequate and protects you against legal claims by the T.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    It sounds to me like a building survey. Do I need to do one?
    Didn't you have a survey done when you bought the house? If you had a decent survey done, any structural defects would have been noted.

Leave a comment:

• zhujier
    replied
    Thanks westminster. I read some advice for landlord as follows

The landlord will probably be responsible for most of the major repairs included in the following list:
    1)Leaking roofs and gutters
    2)Rotting floor boards and windows
    3)Rising damp
    4)Damp walls
    5)Defective electrical wiring
    6)Dangerous ceilings and staircases
    7)Faulty gas and water pipes
    8)Broken water heaters and boilers
    9)Broken lavatories, sinks and baths/shower facilities
    10)Repairs to communal areas of the property used by all tenants

It sounds to me like a building survey. Do I need to do one? Are there any specific service helping landlord to do all these inspections and issue relevant certificates like EPC, gas safty certificate, electrical safe certificate and inventory check?

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    I was told it was old electronic heater in the flat.
    As advised in your other thread, you have a legal responsibility to ensure that the existing installations, including electrical wiring, etc, are kept in repair and are safe. If this 'old electronic heater' is landlord-supplied, then it is included in your responsibilities.

It is essential that you get an NICEIC qualified electrician to inspect the property as soon as possible. As the T is being awkward about access generally, make written requests for access, keep copy letters, and either deliver them to the T with an independent witness present or post the letters and get a *free* certificate of posting from the post office.

The reason for creating a 'paper trail' is to protect yourself in case the T is injured/killed by faulty electrics or in case T complains to the council that you are not fulfilling your statutory repairing obligations. If you have evidence that you tried (several times) to gain access to inspect/carry out repairs, then you will have a strong defence.

Leave a comment:

• p_cas
    replied
    Originally posted by bullybantam View Post
    No legal obligation, but some organisations insist on it. For example student lets organised via a Uni often require central heating - not sure why as beer, wacky backy, pizza & a PS3 are all that most students need.

Yes, but students are unlikely to be Assured 'sitting' tenants.

Leave a comment:

• bullybantam
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Not at all. If the electric heating is 'yours', you have to ensure that it is kept safe and in working order, other than that you have no obligation.

Leave a comment:

• As a landlord am I obligated to install central heating system?

I bought a flat with a sitting tenant. That is assured tenant. There is no central heating system. I was told it was old electronic heater in the flat. Am I obligated to install a new central heating system?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X