X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dominic
    replied
    Originally posted by westminster View Post
    You, as landlord, are ultimately responsible for ensuring that the deposit is protected
    Note that a T may claim against the agent too for his 3x penalty.

Leave a comment:

• mickd73
    replied
    Many thanks for your help and advice, the estate agent admitted it was their fault and put right the damage to the property, I spoke with them about the possibility of a claim, they felt it was highly unlikely but if there was one they would become involved, I also noted to them that they are members of the NAEA and if I do receive a claim I will be contacting them.

Truly a lesson learned, I think with my next tenant I will be opting to use the DPS myself as opposed to trusting an agent to do things correctly. I don't wonder why they have such bad reputations given my experience.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by mickd73 View Post
    so not only do we have to foot the bill for the damage but the tenant can now apparently sue us for 3x deposit for what seems to be a mistake by the estate agents... surely this can't be right?
    You, as landlord, are ultimately responsible for ensuring that the deposit is protected so, yes, the T may have a valid claim against you for non-compliance (however, it's not as simple as that - there are a couple of appeal court cases pending and the situation will be clearer when the rulings are published - so don't worry about it quite yet).

You may have a claim against the agent for failing to fulfill his duties under the terms of your contract, assuming these included protecting the deposit. Is the agent a member of a professional body such as ARLA or NAEA? If so, I would contact them to discuss the agent's negligence and see whether they can help.

Leave a comment:

• P.Pilcher
    replied
    Unfortunately, the agent was under contract to you and your tenant was also in this situation through the AST which may have been issued by the agent but he did so on your behalf. Your only option is to sue the agent because of his poor performance when the final situation with your tenant is resolved.
    Although there are many good, reliable agents out there who carry out their duties to the letter, we repeatedly hear on this board of the less satisfactory ones and as you didn't check (or know you had to) that the prescribed information had been received by the tenant, this unfortunate situation has arisen.

P.P.

Leave a comment:

• mickd73
    started a topic Estate agent not sending Prescribed Info

Estate agent not sending Prescribed Info

Hi,

This is the first time I have left a post and hope someone can help? Recently my tenant moved out and we inspected the flat and found it to be really dirty, we contacted the tenant and agent and he agreed to get the flat cleaned, we went back to inspect that and found the bathroom still not cleaned and upon further inspection noticed that the toilet had been damaged and wouldn't work. We contacted the agent and it subsequently went to TDS for adjudication, I have been in regular contact with both tenant and agent about when we would hear from TDS and put forward our side and the tenant has been very honest (apart from the broken loo) about how he saw the claim, however the agent hasn't been from the sound of the converstation I had with TDS today, they said they have awarded the money to the tenant as the agent never entered the prescribed information or clauses on the tenancy agreement within 14 days of the start of the tenancy nor had they supplied them on the 7 day letter from the dispute service (hope that makes sense to someone) so not only do we have to foot the bill for the damage but the tenant can now apparently sue us for 3x deposit for what seems to be a mistake by the estate agents... surely this can't be right? Can anyone let me know what my options are or has anyone been in this situation and can let me know what happened?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by DoricPixie
    Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach and would mean the landlord...
    27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
  • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by Piffy
    I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
    27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
  • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
    by Hudson01
    Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
    27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
  • Tenant has moved partner in.
    by Alison Laws
    My tenant who is 4 months into her tenancy agreement has moved her partner in without permission and Im wondering can use this to issue a new tenancy agreement with his name on it. She isn't the easiest tenant and I would also like to add an agreement break to the new tenancy because of the difficulty...
    27-01-2022, 15:30 PM
  • Reply to Is time more important than money?
    by Hudson01
    In general time of course is more important than money, but often it is the ownership of enough money that gives you free time ! The tenants i doubt were thinking in such terms though, they were simply bone idle, i grew up in a dirty house as a child, the time my parents saved with not cleaning did...
    27-01-2022, 20:34 PM
  • Is time more important than money?
    by jpucng62
    Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
    Garden was left in a mess...
    27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
    by jpucng62
    The property was inspected - although Covid has it effect - but the tenant is entitled to live as they wish during the tenancy. It only became a problem when they failed to bring the property back to the condition they took it in when they left.

I was just amazed that they could so easily...
    27-01-2022, 19:45 PM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by Hooper
    To be honest I picked that rule up on this forum - I've heard it over and over. I'm probably guilty of having repeated it myself! If an error gets repeated enough in a small community it becomes fact!...
    27-01-2022, 19:36 PM
    by royw
    Haha, I might just try that one ­čśü. I hate housework....
    27-01-2022, 18:43 PM
    by JK0
    I thought it would be our fault in some way....
    27-01-2022, 18:30 PM
Working...
X