• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

surrender?

hi all

i have agreed with a tenant that he should moved out in 2 months time

he is not very reliable and untrustworthy based on past experience

can i get him to sign a surrender for the move out date? does this mean he has to move out?

if the 2 months is still within the fixed term, the surrender is not worth the paper it is written on! I had a signed letter saying a tenant would leave 8months into a 12 month fixed term - he did not go - took legal advice - told the surrender letter meant nothing....
    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

surrender!

hiya

no, it's a periodic contract

would a surrender be valid in this instance?

what would happen if he didnt leave after signing a surrender?

Comment

As far as I know nothing unless you go to court and evict in the usual way. Others may have more experience - my "surrender" was during the fixed term.

Comment

thanks for the reply

can anyone else shed some light on this?

Comment

Originally posted by WarwickGrad View Post

can i get him to sign a surrender for the move out date? does this mean he has to move out?
            He would have the exact same rights as if he didn't sign it.

You can not get a tenant out without a court order, and bailiffs if they decide not to go, no matter what they sign.

The only thing the surrender may be good for, is if he in fact leaves, you get someone else in/change the locks, and then he decides to come back. Even then you may be on shaky ground.
            Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

so what's the point of a surrender then?

i dont see one at the mo, would be happy to here any positives for it if anyone has some

thanks for the feedback

Comment

Don't think there is one, apart from as said above it would defend you from a charge of illegal eviction if he left then came back...

Comment

Originally posted by WarwickGrad View Post
                  so what's the point of a surrender then?

i dont see one at the mo, would be happy to here any positives for it if anyone has some

thanks for the feedback
                  A Surrender ends T's liabilities. It's in T's interest to procure this, although there is rarely any obligation on L to accept a Surrender.
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

good for the T, worthless for the LL it seems!

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                      good for the T, worthless for the LL it seems!
                      Except that it enables L:
                      a. to demand a consideration payment ('reverse premium') from T, in exchange for releasing T from obligations; and
                      b. to re-let at once with certainty (not needing to await Notice expiry, Possession Order, or eviction of T).
                      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X