AST's term expired, no new let, no-one's collecting our rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to clarify, my landlord hasn't been abroad/in hospital, etc. he's simply an incompetent idiot. and possibly ridiculously rich.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      I disagree. L may be extremely busy, or abroad, or in hospital/prison. There are many reasons why the non-receipt of income might not be known.
      I disagree. If you are too busy to check your bank account occasionally then you are probably rich enought to employ someone else to do it and then to get on to the LA/the non-payers on noticing discrepancies. With online banking, there is no reason why being abroad should make any difference at all. In hospital - very unusual to be in hospital for 10 months and most people who are, generally appoint someone else to oversee their business affairs. In prison - unlikely to be a LL of an student HMO if in prison, as ex-convicts are unlikely to be granted HMO licences.

What are the rest of the 'many' reasons?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by jennyweasley View Post
        to clarify, my landlord hasn't been abroad/in hospital, etc. he's simply an incompetent idiot. and possibly ridiculously rich.

The facts would indeed seem to support this interpretation.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          I disagree. If you are too busy to check your bank account occasionally then you are probably rich enought to employ someone else to do it and then to get on to the LA/the non-payers on noticing discrepancies. With online banking, there is no reason why being abroad should make any difference at all. In hospital - very unusual to be in hospital for 10 months and most people who are, generally appoint someone else to oversee their business affairs. In prison - unlikely to be a LL of an student HMO if in prison, as ex-convicts are unlikely to be granted HMO licences.
          I disagree with your disagreement with my disagreement. As usual, you're living in a pretend version of the real world.
          Many people:
          a. do not have or want online banking;
          b. are long-term hospitalised (inc. mental health establishments);
          c. let on HMOs dating from before the newLabour licensing requirements (so now being in prison would be irrelevant to the new fit&proper test); and
          d. live in countries that lack easy internet availability or, in some cases, even electricity.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Many people:
            a. do not have or want online banking;
            b. are long-term hospitalised (inc. mental health establishments);
            c. let on HMOs dating from before the newLabour licensing requirements (so now being in prison would be irrelevant to the new fit&proper test); and
            d. live in countries that lack easy internet availability or, in some cases, even electricity.
            Some people fit this description. I think we perhaps mean something different by 'many'.

Comment

I disagree with your disagreement with my disagreement. As usual, you're living in a pretend version of the real world.

Simply disagreeing with you does not mean I am deluded.

Please do not get so ratty and rude about it. Perhaps we must agree to differ on this one and leave it at that.

Comment

Some people fit this description. I think we perhaps mean something different by 'many'.
                I agree on that, at least. I did not claim 'most' (= well over half) but 'many' (= a significant proportion, even if only a minority).
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

I disagree. L may be extremely busy, or abroad, or in hospital/prison. There are many reasons why the non-receipt of income might not be known.
                  Two other possibilities is the landlord is getting paid by S/O, or guaranteed rent.
                  Therefore, he is getting paid.
                  Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Simply disagreeing with you does not mean I am deluded.

Please do not get so ratty and rude about it. Perhaps we must agree to differ on this one and leave it at that.
                    Who alleged 'deluded'? Not I.

Comment

Who alleged 'deluded'? Not I.
                      Since you ask, and for the avoidance of doubt:
                      As usual, you're living in a pretend version of the real world.

Comment

Good- so no allegations of delusions there. Judgment for the Defendant.

Comment

Good- so no allegations of delusions there. Judgment for the Defendant.
                          Most people would understand 'deluded' to mean divorced from reality/living in a fantasy world, which is exactly what you seem to be saying (about me). So, although I cannot thank you for your honesty, I'll say thank you for your bluntness and sign out!

Comment

Still wrong, I fear. You are only pretending that something demonstrably true is not, a common problem with those of the Left. You are therefore not suffering delusions as you feared (nor are you, in your own words, divorced from reality/living in a fantasy world: hence that's not what I was saying!)

Comment

thanks for the replies! and calm down guys, i've saved my rent money, i'm not a complete idiot. not sure about the rest of my housemates though!
                              There is no such thing as a 'share' of the rent. All joint tenants are jointly and individually liable for the whole of the rent. So you'd better make sure your housemates have saved up too.

also, forgot to mention this, but one of the old tenants (one of the one's that signed the 11 month contract) moved out at the end of the contract and a new tenant moved in who also hasn't been made to sign anything. can she be legally made to pay rent?
                              No, insofar as the landlord cannot claim against her for unpaid rent because she's not his tenant. It's the tenants named on the tenancy agreement who are liable, including the one who left. Legally, she's still one of the joint tenants.

Comment

We paid a deposit to secure the property again for the following year but the estate agents didn't make us sign a new contract.
                                What was the alleged nature of this deposit (holding, security, etc)? Because, given that the tenancy has been ongoing since you first moved in, it makes no sense to pay a further deposit. Did you originally pay a security deposit and was it protected in a scheme? If so, that security deposit is still held against the current tenancy.

If they ask us to sign a contract now, do we have to sign and pay for the past 10 months?
                                No, you don't have to sign a new contract. However, your rental liability is not dependent on whether or not you've signed a new contract. You're still liable for the past 10 months' rent because the original tenancy is still ongoing, having automatically become a statutory periodic tenancy after the fixed term expired.

Can they take us to court for unpaid rent if none of us have signed a contract?
                                Yes.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  Thanks Patrick, really helpful....
                                  27-06-2022, 09:33 AM
                                • N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  Good Afternoon everyone,
                                  Its my first post on the site and probably like most first posts on here I am asking for help !
                                  Without going into too much detail my tenant has decided to stop paying his rent , after I gave him notice to leave, and ignore Section 8 and Section 21 notices sent by...
                                  24-06-2022, 13:18 PM
                                • Reply to N5B Form
                                  by patrick27
                                  Hi there, I'm currently in a similar situation. I had to visit my local court to ask the same questions after searching everywhere...

Claim No........Leave blank
                                  Issue date.......Leave blank
                                  Fee Acc No......Leave blank

Court fee......Check your local court online,...
                                  27-06-2022, 09:29 AM
                                • Reply to N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  Will do .
                                  cheers
                                  27-06-2022, 09:20 AM
                                • Reply to N5B Form
                                  by DPT57
                                  Look at the ones who advertise through landlord websites.
                                  27-06-2022, 09:06 AM
                                • Reply to How to evict professional tenant?
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  The tenant sounds like a delusional bampot. How is he going to afford a very expensive solicitor?

Do you know if the council in which the rental property is located has landlord licensing? I’m trying to figure out where he’s getting this £30k figure from....
                                  26-06-2022, 23:40 PM
                                • How to evict professional tenant?
                                  by CharlesRiver
                                  I have a professional tenant rented my house a few years ago. The tenant relied on housing benefit to pay the rent. It was a one-year fixed term AST, and the tenant refused to leave from then and declined our access to the property for inspection for many years. He damaged the house extensively and...
                                  23-06-2022, 01:48 AM
                                • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  The council can’t magic up a suitable property if there are none available. Whilst being able to present as homeless on top of the health issues will give the daughter more points if there aren’t any suitable properties then your daughter is still going to be between a rock and a hard place. Presenting...
                                  26-06-2022, 23:37 PM
                                • Council staying eviction needed
                                  by lostforwords
                                  My daughter is a tenant in a house and has been for 7years without any problems for 6 of the years. Last year she had to give up working full time due to health reasons. Since then they've got worse, she suffered a blood clot which leaves her breathless and can't have oxygen as she has a gas hob. She...
                                  26-06-2022, 14:45 PM
                                • Reply to N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  Any tips on a good one to use?
                                  26-06-2022, 22:24 PM
                                Working...
                                X