AST's term expired, no new let, no-one's collecting our rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to clarify, my landlord hasn't been abroad/in hospital, etc. he's simply an incompetent idiot. and possibly ridiculously rich.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      I disagree. L may be extremely busy, or abroad, or in hospital/prison. There are many reasons why the non-receipt of income might not be known.
      I disagree. If you are too busy to check your bank account occasionally then you are probably rich enought to employ someone else to do it and then to get on to the LA/the non-payers on noticing discrepancies. With online banking, there is no reason why being abroad should make any difference at all. In hospital - very unusual to be in hospital for 10 months and most people who are, generally appoint someone else to oversee their business affairs. In prison - unlikely to be a LL of an student HMO if in prison, as ex-convicts are unlikely to be granted HMO licences.

What are the rest of the 'many' reasons?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by jennyweasley View Post
        to clarify, my landlord hasn't been abroad/in hospital, etc. he's simply an incompetent idiot. and possibly ridiculously rich.

The facts would indeed seem to support this interpretation.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          I disagree. If you are too busy to check your bank account occasionally then you are probably rich enought to employ someone else to do it and then to get on to the LA/the non-payers on noticing discrepancies. With online banking, there is no reason why being abroad should make any difference at all. In hospital - very unusual to be in hospital for 10 months and most people who are, generally appoint someone else to oversee their business affairs. In prison - unlikely to be a LL of an student HMO if in prison, as ex-convicts are unlikely to be granted HMO licences.
          I disagree with your disagreement with my disagreement. As usual, you're living in a pretend version of the real world.
          Many people:
          a. do not have or want online banking;
          b. are long-term hospitalised (inc. mental health establishments);
          c. let on HMOs dating from before the newLabour licensing requirements (so now being in prison would be irrelevant to the new fit&proper test); and
          d. live in countries that lack easy internet availability or, in some cases, even electricity.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Many people:
            a. do not have or want online banking;
            b. are long-term hospitalised (inc. mental health establishments);
            c. let on HMOs dating from before the newLabour licensing requirements (so now being in prison would be irrelevant to the new fit&proper test); and
            d. live in countries that lack easy internet availability or, in some cases, even electricity.
            Some people fit this description. I think we perhaps mean something different by 'many'.

Comment

I disagree with your disagreement with my disagreement. As usual, you're living in a pretend version of the real world.

Simply disagreeing with you does not mean I am deluded.

Please do not get so ratty and rude about it. Perhaps we must agree to differ on this one and leave it at that.

Comment

Some people fit this description. I think we perhaps mean something different by 'many'.
                I agree on that, at least. I did not claim 'most' (= well over half) but 'many' (= a significant proportion, even if only a minority).
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

I disagree. L may be extremely busy, or abroad, or in hospital/prison. There are many reasons why the non-receipt of income might not be known.
                  Two other possibilities is the landlord is getting paid by S/O, or guaranteed rent.
                  Therefore, he is getting paid.
                  Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Simply disagreeing with you does not mean I am deluded.

Please do not get so ratty and rude about it. Perhaps we must agree to differ on this one and leave it at that.
                    Who alleged 'deluded'? Not I.

Comment

Who alleged 'deluded'? Not I.
                      Since you ask, and for the avoidance of doubt:
                      As usual, you're living in a pretend version of the real world.

Comment

Good- so no allegations of delusions there. Judgment for the Defendant.

Comment

Good- so no allegations of delusions there. Judgment for the Defendant.
                          Most people would understand 'deluded' to mean divorced from reality/living in a fantasy world, which is exactly what you seem to be saying (about me). So, although I cannot thank you for your honesty, I'll say thank you for your bluntness and sign out!

Comment

Still wrong, I fear. You are only pretending that something demonstrably true is not, a common problem with those of the Left. You are therefore not suffering delusions as you feared (nor are you, in your own words, divorced from reality/living in a fantasy world: hence that's not what I was saying!)

Comment

thanks for the replies! and calm down guys, i've saved my rent money, i'm not a complete idiot. not sure about the rest of my housemates though!
                              There is no such thing as a 'share' of the rent. All joint tenants are jointly and individually liable for the whole of the rent. So you'd better make sure your housemates have saved up too.

also, forgot to mention this, but one of the old tenants (one of the one's that signed the 11 month contract) moved out at the end of the contract and a new tenant moved in who also hasn't been made to sign anything. can she be legally made to pay rent?
                              No, insofar as the landlord cannot claim against her for unpaid rent because she's not his tenant. It's the tenants named on the tenancy agreement who are liable, including the one who left. Legally, she's still one of the joint tenants.

Comment

We paid a deposit to secure the property again for the following year but the estate agents didn't make us sign a new contract.
                                What was the alleged nature of this deposit (holding, security, etc)? Because, given that the tenancy has been ongoing since you first moved in, it makes no sense to pay a further deposit. Did you originally pay a security deposit and was it protected in a scheme? If so, that security deposit is still held against the current tenancy.

If they ask us to sign a contract now, do we have to sign and pay for the past 10 months?
                                No, you don't have to sign a new contract. However, your rental liability is not dependent on whether or not you've signed a new contract. You're still liable for the past 10 months' rent because the original tenancy is still ongoing, having automatically become a statutory periodic tenancy after the fixed term expired.

Can they take us to court for unpaid rent if none of us have signed a contract?
                                Yes.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Can I serve Section 21 Notice?
                                  by jpkeates
                                  No, you don't.
                                  You will need one if you relet the property.

The EPC has to be at least rated "E", and will possibly need to be rated "C" in a few years time....
                                  09-08-2022, 11:03 AM
                                • Can I serve Section 21 Notice?
                                  by Rubz2009
                                  Hi was hoping for some advise.
                                  I have tentants in my property on a AST agreement which started in 2013 and has been rolling to date. Tenants are behind on their rent by a couple of months (during covid times which they believe they still do not need to pay) and also always late on monthly payments...
                                  08-08-2022, 18:49 PM
                                  by Rubz2009
                                  Just found the EPC dated 2010 so i definitely would have provided this to the tenant when they moved in in 2013. I am aware EPC is only valid for 10 years therefore do i need to now provide them with an updated one?...
                                  09-08-2022, 10:51 AM
                                • Reply to Sec 21 & Notice to Quit in same claim
                                  by Lawcruncher
                                  I cannot cite an authority, but I think that that has to be void for uncertainty....
                                  09-08-2022, 09:59 AM
                                • Sec 21 & Notice to Quit in same claim
                                  by Carly
                                  I have a dodgy LL who issues Licences to occupy instead of tenancies. He knows he's on dodgy ground and has failed to get possession against a previous person because of it. He wants me out on a no fault basis (has called me a professional tenant for daring to get him to supply hot water and other things)!...
                                  18-06-2022, 14:53 PM
                                • Reply to S8 Court Hearing
                                  by theartfullodger
                                  Assuming this is arrears, be aware tenant may claim there are outstanding repairs to be done (you'd probably disagree..) and if judge agrees with T then arrears reduced by judge's assessment of cost of repairs.

I.e. be prepared

Why not s21 please?
                                  09-08-2022, 09:57 AM
                                • S8 Court Hearing
                                  by Steampigs
                                  Hi All

I have a hearing scheduled to evict my tenant using a Section 8 notice.

I have lodged my claim online (PCOL), but what other documents will I require?
                                  I assume:-
                                  Tenancy Agreement
                                  S8 and Certificate of Service
                                  Updated amount of arrears
                                  Details...
                                  08-08-2022, 21:27 PM
                                • Reply to Sec 21 & Notice to Quit in same claim
                                  by Lawcruncher
                                  It certainly looks like a tenancy, but there has to be doubt that it is an AST. The agreement contains a clause which says: "You shall occupy...as a licensee and no relationship of landlord or tenant is created".

To repeat and expand on what I said above, schedule 2A to the Housing...
                                  09-08-2022, 09:56 AM
                                  by jpkeates
                                  Having no tenancy agreement means that if the tenants don't leave and you go to court, you can't use the accelerated procedure.

From what you've written, the only issue seems to be the EPC.
                                  09-08-2022, 09:36 AM
                                • Reply to Dps deposit
                                  by artin
                                  "I got the estate agents to put the deposit into my DPS account "? The agent usually transfer deposit into my bank a/c and I put it into my DPS a/c, is it possible for the agent put into your DPS account?

DPS will issue "deposit certificate" within 1-3 days, stating...
                                  09-08-2022, 09:19 AM
                                Working...
                                X