inventory advice needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inventory advice needed please

landlord did not give me an inventory at the beginning of my rental of his flat.
    He is now claiming for minor damages to the flat now that i am moving out -he says he will take it out of the deposit. I did not cause all of these damages.
    who's responsibilty is it to give, or get, an inventory at the beginning of a rental agreement (short term agreement)
    any advice wil be much appreciated.

Originally posted by roker View Post
    landlord did not give me an inventory at the beginning of my rental of his flat.
    He is now claiming for minor damages to the flat now that i am moving out -he says he will take it out of the deposit. I did not cause all of these damages.
    who's responsibilty is it to give, or get, an inventory at the beginning of a rental agreement (short term agreement)

It would be the landlords responsibility to ensure that an inventory check is completed upon the start of the tenancy.
    The costs are usually split between the landlord and the tenant.
    It is the document that provides proof of the condition of the property and it's furnishings.
    It would appear if no inventory check was completed that the landlord would not be able to proove the damage.

On saying that, you infer that you did not cause all of the damages, inferring you agree to some of them.

From a moral stance, would you consider entering a negotiation with the LL on what you believe you caused and a reasonable expense to rectify the damage?

Comment

Originally posted by roker View Post
      Has your deposit been protected in a scheme by your LL?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

thanks for the advice.
        to be honest i dont know if the deposit is protected in a scheme. I think it is but not sure.
        The 'damages' i am responsible for are very minor and I am prepared to negotiate a small amount from the deposit. however,the landlord seems to have the attitude of taking as much of the deposit as he can.
        When i moved in -3 years ago - he said he would get an inventory sorted but it has never appeared.I am used to being fair about such things, but if the LL is asking too much (in my opinion) I want to know where I stand.
        I am wondering if I should consider court action if he claims too much and refuses to return the deposit.
        any advice will be much appreciated!

Comment

First, ring around the 3 deposit protection services and find out which one has your deposit (if any). If it is protected, then go to their arbitration service who will probably rule in your favour as there is no inventory, and after 3 years, most things (apart from cleaning or major damage) are considered to be wear and tear. If it isn't protected, then you can go to the small claims court to get your deposit returned, or you could claim 3x deposit, but this is trickier and other members will be better placed to explain it than me. Good luck!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant misleading everyone
            by DPT57
            I think the NTQ may be your best option. The tenant could defeat it by returning to live there but that would at least enable you to get the rent payments reinstated. If they dont return, the tenancy will end. You can serve the notice at the property, but make sure its also sent to wherever the tenant...
            16-06-2021, 22:08 PM
          • Tenant misleading everyone
            by bertha
            I have a tenant who is been difficult I think due to health/mental problems,for the last year I have not been able to carry out epc,gas inspections.It seems tenant has been staying elsewhere ,I informed housing I could not enter the property and was advised by landlord liason officer to get a locksmith,enter...
            14-06-2021, 13:20 PM
          • Reply to Inventory help
            by DPT57
            I based mine on an old RLA template. I think NRLA still have one. You could try that....
            16-06-2021, 22:00 PM
          • Inventory help
            by Helvie
            Hi, Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I could download a good quality inventory check list and guidance form, thanks.
            13-06-2021, 14:56 PM
          • Reply to New Tenancy
            by DPT57
            Your questions are too wide ranging for a forum. The answers would form a long article. Asking questions on here is not a substitute for reading. I suggest you join the NRLA and read all their guides and checklists....
            16-06-2021, 21:54 PM
          • New Tenancy
            by SpringGreen
            After the property is ready for advertistng what does a landlord need to mindful of.
            1. what are the pros and cons in terms of tenancy agreement CONTRACTUAL AND STATUORY ?
            2. applicants - how do landlord usually vet them ?
            3. inventories (what comments or descriptions to use ? )...
            12-06-2021, 09:11 AM
          • Reply to County Court Bailiffs 1 June
            by Perce
            Slackjawedyokel - my tenant does not seem to be in the property. I have no clue where he is or whether he will return.. The neighbours said that police were looking for him but when I checked with the police they could not find anything on the system. The police were very nice and helpful and asked...
            16-06-2021, 21:20 PM
          • County Court Bailiffs 1 June
            by Perce
            Hello

I have a warrant for repossession, the ban is over tomorrow. How long does it take to hear from the County Court Bailiffs ? 1 week ? 1 month? What is the process ?...
            31-05-2021, 11:30 AM
          • Reply to Pre action protocol
            by flat27
            Thank you for all your knowledge!! I’ve been reading about part 36 - they haven’t said it’s part 36 and they haven’t explained the basis of their figure. Also they have only given 7 days not 21.
            I assume therefore it cannot be taken as part 36?
            I’ve read that part 36 cannot be...
            16-06-2021, 21:07 PM
          • Pre action protocol
            by flat27
            Hi - my tenant has moved out and has caused extensive water damage due to not reporting a leak and just leaving it to cause damage. We have tried to claim damages but he does not want to sort this amicably- does anyone have a template pre action protocol letter to start the court process? Any advice...
            15-06-2021, 17:06 PM
          Working...
          X