Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum security requirements for landlords

Hello

I am a tenant and have been trying to get contents insurance to cover my possesions from theft. To meet minimum security requirements of any contents insurance provider, you need a 5 lever mortise deadlock to be fitted. This is the minimum required or you cannot get contents insurance.

I am renting one of three flats in a converted residential terrraced property in central London. There is an external door which has a rim latch (yale) lock and is communual and then seperate doors to each flat. Each of the sperate flat doors have mortise deadlocks but not the 5 lever deadlocks required.

I have asked the landlord to fit the required locks but he has refused. The AST states that I am responsible for insuring my possesions which is fine but I am unable to do so because of the poor security of the property. I live in an area of high crime and am quite concerned of losing my possesions through theft in the time it takes to get this sorted out.

Can anyone tell me if landlords are required by law to provide these standards of security??

No. L's only statutorily-implied duties are those in s.11 of LTA 1985.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Ask the landlord if you can have one fitted.
      They cost about £20
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X