Deposit not protected and landlord refusing to return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit not protected and landlord refusing to return

I rented a house a year back and paid £600 deposit. It was a private rent and the lease is ended and we have moved out.

Our deposit was not protected as the landlord was a friend of a friend and was nice to us initially. But now he is not returning the rent saying he needs more time.

I want to take him to court becuse he was horrible to us in the last few months and is unfair that he is not returning the rent. Can somebody please point me, where to start and what to do?

Thanks

Use Money Claim On Line service (MCOL). There are a lot of LZ threads about it.
    If you want, you can also claim- as a civil penalty- an amount equal to three times the unprotected deposit.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by idnotfree View Post
      Can somebody please point me, where to start and what to do?
      Step 1: Send a letter before action, demanding the return of the deposit and giving a deadline (say, two weeks hence). Say that if you do not receive the deposit by that date, you will issue a claim in county court.

Step 2: If he doesn't pay, issue a claim via Moneyclaim Online.

(I recommend you buy a book on the small claims procedure to help guide you through as a first timer; there are a few on Amazon).

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
        Step 1: Send a letter before action, demanding the return of the deposit and giving a deadline (say, two weeks hence). Say that if you do not receive the deposit by that date, you will issue a claim in county court.

Step 2: If he doesn't pay, issue a claim via Moneyclaim Online.
        Just to add to that - if he calls your bluff but then pays up after you've issued your claim (having warned him first as above) - he will then need to reimburse you with the MoneyClaim Online fee, and if he doesn't you leave the claim in, and he'll be ordered to pay the fee.

All presupposing that you are in the right, and that there's no valid reason for witholding the deposit etc

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. Not only I want my deposit back, but I also want the compensation (3*deposit) for all the trouble that we have faced. I have already requested him few emails and phone calls without luck. I dont want him to buy any more time and send a notice now. I suspect if I send another letter, he may give me my deposit back and I dont get the 3*deposit.

Do I really have to give any more formal notice when I hae warned him so many times earlier or can I proceed the MCOL?

Thanks

Comment

Do I really have to give any more formal notice when I hae warned him so many times earlier or can I proceed the MCOL?
            Yes, or there's a real risk that the court could go against you. Judges hate people wasting the court's time which is how he would probably see it.

Comment

I also want the compensation (3*deposit) for all the trouble that we have faced....
              The 3* deposit is not 'compensation', it's a sanction for non-compliance.

I suspect if I send another letter, he may give me my deposit back and I dont get the 3*deposit.
              You cannot issue a claim for 3* deposit under s.214 Housing Act 2004 via MCOL. Form N208/Part 8 procedure must be used. This means the claim would be allocated to the multi-track, where court fees are considerably higher (well over £1,000 to get to the hearing stage) and you would also be exposed to your landlord's legal costs if you lost the claim.

See http://blog.painsmith.co.uk/2009/05/...or-tds-claims/

Also note that there were a couple of appeal court cases recently, and the rulings have yet to be published. Until then, it would be inadvisable to issue a claim, because the rulings may make it possible for the landlord to avoid the sanction by, for example, protecting the deposit late.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant misleading everyone
                by DPT57
                I think the NTQ may be your best option. The tenant could defeat it by returning to live there but that would at least enable you to get the rent payments reinstated. If they dont return, the tenancy will end. You can serve the notice at the property, but make sure its also sent to wherever the tenant...
                16-06-2021, 22:08 PM
              • Tenant misleading everyone
                by bertha
                I have a tenant who is been difficult I think due to health/mental problems,for the last year I have not been able to carry out epc,gas inspections.It seems tenant has been staying elsewhere ,I informed housing I could not enter the property and was advised by landlord liason officer to get a locksmith,enter...
                14-06-2021, 13:20 PM
              • Reply to Inventory help
                by DPT57
                I based mine on an old RLA template. I think NRLA still have one. You could try that....
                16-06-2021, 22:00 PM
              • Inventory help
                by Helvie
                Hi, Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I could download a good quality inventory check list and guidance form, thanks.
                13-06-2021, 14:56 PM
              • Reply to New Tenancy
                by DPT57
                Your questions are too wide ranging for a forum. The answers would form a long article. Asking questions on here is not a substitute for reading. I suggest you join the NRLA and read all their guides and checklists....
                16-06-2021, 21:54 PM
              • New Tenancy
                by SpringGreen
                After the property is ready for advertistng what does a landlord need to mindful of.
                1. what are the pros and cons in terms of tenancy agreement CONTRACTUAL AND STATUORY ?
                2. applicants - how do landlord usually vet them ?
                3. inventories (what comments or descriptions to use ? )...
                12-06-2021, 09:11 AM
              • Reply to County Court Bailiffs 1 June
                by Perce
                Slackjawedyokel - my tenant does not seem to be in the property. I have no clue where he is or whether he will return.. The neighbours said that police were looking for him but when I checked with the police they could not find anything on the system. The police were very nice and helpful and asked...
                16-06-2021, 21:20 PM
              • County Court Bailiffs 1 June
                by Perce
                Hello

I have a warrant for repossession, the ban is over tomorrow. How long does it take to hear from the County Court Bailiffs ? 1 week ? 1 month? What is the process ?...
                31-05-2021, 11:30 AM
              • Reply to Pre action protocol
                by flat27
                Thank you for all your knowledge!! I’ve been reading about part 36 - they haven’t said it’s part 36 and they haven’t explained the basis of their figure. Also they have only given 7 days not 21.
                I assume therefore it cannot be taken as part 36?
                I’ve read that part 36 cannot be...
                16-06-2021, 21:07 PM
              • Pre action protocol
                by flat27
                Hi - my tenant has moved out and has caused extensive water damage due to not reporting a leak and just leaving it to cause damage. We have tried to claim damages but he does not want to sort this amicably- does anyone have a template pre action protocol letter to start the court process? Any advice...
                15-06-2021, 17:06 PM
              Working...
              X