Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord Has Thrown Away Our Personal Possessions

Hi All

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice. We moved into a privately rented flat 18months ago. At the beginning of the month the landlord told us we would need to move out of the flat as he was moving abroad and selling his own house and that he wanted to use this flat so he had somewhere to stay when he returned for a holiday. He agreed that we could have the other flat in the property, as the previous tenants had moved out a couple of months ago.
    He told us that we had until October to move but he would require the use of our spare room in July to store his own property, we agreed to this on the understanding that we could start moving our property from our current spare room the flat upstairs immediately. He agreed to this and after checking the flat upstairs we told him there was nothing there and started to move our belonings.
    This weekend we took some further items upstairs only to discover that everything we had taken up had vanished. I phoned the landlord immediately and was told that he thought it was the previous tenants property and had disposed of it.
    In view of the fact that technically we are not renting this flat at the moment is there any form of redress I can take. The actual financial value of the property was not that high but there were irreplaceable treasured items of personal memorabilia and also all our winter clothing.
    Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks

This seems to be covered by the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977. You should seek compensation from the landlord, and if not, sue for any items that you can prove were disposed of.

Of course, suing is likely to result in an s21 notice some time soon.

Comment

Thanks Snorkerz
      I'll get in touch with the landlord again, when I've calmed down, and request compensation.

Comment

search on here for what a LL is SUPPOSED to do with property! At least you will know what should have happened!
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Hi Islandgirl

I understand what the landlord should do with our property if we had moved out of the flat, however we are still living in the downstairs flat and will be moving into the flat upstairs in a few months. We were only moving our things upstairs, with the landlords knowledge, in order to accomodate his request that he could move his items into the flat we are living in from July.

Comment

yes but knowing this the LL presumably had a duty of care towards your goods - depends if you told him in writing what you were doing and when!
            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Hang on.

The flat had been empty for a couple of months.

The OP informs landlord flat is empty.

Landlord agrees OP can move belongings into flat.

Landlord removes belongings.

???

Comment

Hi Lawcruncher

No I didn't inform the landlord the flat was empty, after looking round the flat I told him the previous tenants had left none of their effects in the flat. The landlord was aware the previous tenants had vacated the premises which is why he said we could have this flat and gave us the key so we could move our items into it.

Comment

But does that abandonment sufficiently prove the termination of oldT's tenancy?
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi Again

The previous tenants had purchased their own property and left at the end of their lease with the landlords knowledge and the knowledge of the letting agents he had used with them.

Comment

Good! If T leaves on fixed-term expiry, no SPT can arise; so L is at once free to relet.
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Hi Again Jeffrey

I'm sorry but I don't understand the relevance of this to the landlord disposing of our possessions.

Comment

None directly, but it points towards L knowing your legal position as T2 and having no grounds for confusion vis-a-vis T1's goods.

Comment

Thanks Jeffrey the penny has just dropped, please excuse my ignorance before.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Increasing rent
                              by Hooper
                              I think the clause is probably invalid.

https://painsmith.co.uk/rent-increas...dic-tenancies/

This only applies if it is an SPT, rather than a CPT....
                              27-10-2021, 10:13 AM
                            • Increasing rent
                              by Berlingogirl
                              Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
                              My tenancy agreement says
                              “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
                              Is there a specific form I should use?...
                              26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
                              by jpkeates
                              I think the clause persists into any SPT, any date in the future is now "after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy".

Unless the other wording of the agreement changes the meaning of this snippet, the clause simply precludes the rent being increased between the end of the initial...
                              27-10-2021, 10:05 AM
                              by Hooper
                              If the fixed term has ended and it is now SPT, is it not the case that the rent review clause is of no effect and you can use s13?

Or is yours a contractual periodic tenancy?
                              27-10-2021, 09:52 AM
                            • Reply to Loft conversion building regs
                              by Hudson01
                              I would not walk away.... i would run away ! Not a hope would i buy a property where there was zero building regs on something that should of had them, as said.... what other bodge jobs have been done. Not a chance.
                              27-10-2021, 09:28 AM
                            • Loft conversion building regs
                              by Handy21
                              Hi guys this might have already been covered before but I’m currently purchasing a 3 bed house and near completion our solicitor has managed to find out they don’t have building regs for the 3rd bedroom (loft conversion). My question is can I let this as a 3 bedroom or is it legally only a 2 bedroom,...
                              27-10-2021, 07:16 AM
                              by jpkeates
                              Ah.

They won't agree the increase, so it's more of a point being made....
                              27-10-2021, 09:27 AM
                              by Berlingogirl
                              Thanks again. I think I’ll have to just write to them informing them of the increase. They’re under s21 and s8 for rent arrears. They decided to deduct from the rent , the cost of a repair bill to which I did not agree....
                              27-10-2021, 09:24 AM
                              by jpkeates
                              Unless the seller did their own conversion, any builder would have been aware of building regulation requirements, and so the seller would have been aware of the issue.
                              I'd guess that they either very naively thought no one would notice (unlikely) or hoped you'd be so far into the process that...
                              27-10-2021, 09:15 AM
                              by Handy21
                              Yes I was thinking they’ve left it so late on in the process in the hopes that when I found out I’d not bother backing out, the estate agents are trying to convince me that it would be fine to let out as a 3 bedroom but I have contacted other letting agents that have said it wouldn’t be allowed...
                              27-10-2021, 09:03 AM
                            Working...
                            X