T's bathroom costs as reason for rent arrears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T's bathroom costs as reason for rent arrears

Hello, I would really appreciate some advice. I have a tenant who moved in under 6 month self assured tenancy agreement in January. In March she said that she would like to re-do the bathroom if I would supply the bathroom suite, she would take care of the rest. I agreed and she took the cost of the bathroom suite off the next month's rent. The following month the rent was two weeks late and when I contacted her she said that she had to pay for some pipes and plasterwork and the electricity to the shower needed re-doing as it was wired into the mains and would try to pay some of the rent shortly. Where do I stand now? I did not agreed to pay for the whole bathroom being re-done (it was absolutely fine in the first instance).

Also if this does not work out, please can someone outline the procedure to have her leave at the end of the 6 months period?

Many thanks, Shona

It was frankly stupid to allow a relative stranger to refurbish the bathroom, particularly if it was 'absolutely fine'.

The landlord has a legal responsibility in respect of the structure of the rental property including such things as pipework and electrics, so you are inescapably liable for the cost of maintaining and repairing these. See this link.

You also have a legal obligation to ensure the electrics are safe, and bathrooms are subject to particularly strict regulations, so you must immediately get the electrical work inspected by a NICEIC qualified electrician. Find one here http://www.niceic.com/

I would also get a qualified plumber to inspect the pipework and ensure the new suite has been correctly installed. The tenant may have used any old cowboy.

If this is an assured shorthold tenancy, in England/Wales, with rent less than £2,083.33 pcm, and any deposit paid is protected in a scheme, then to regain possession following the end of the fixed term, you must first serve a s.21(1)(b) notice. If the tenant does not leave after the notice expires, you must then apply to the court for a possession order. See this link.

Comment

This could well be a scam, I'm sorry. She needs to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Wauden View Post
        This could well be a scam, I'm sorry. She needs to go.
        What kind of 'scam'? How would the tenant profit from refurbishing a bathroom?

Comment

T does not do any work at all and gets allowance against naive LL. Was there an inventory showing state of bathroom suite?

Or T instals cheap suite below cost of rent allowance? It appears that LL did not insist on a standard of work?

If work does get done LL bears all costs of checks to ensure work complies with regs before letting again, and making good any faults or issues.

So many expensive possibilities for LL in this scenario.

pm
          Last edited by property mongrel; 25-05-2010, 20:59 PM. Reason: edited to add: if LL agreed to T doing work can there be any comeback?
          Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
            by Hudson01
            I can see that from a laymans point of view that is correct, but when you talk/deal with individuals who have attempted suicide it's simply not the case, if this was a genuine cause for concern and the Police forced entry they did it in the belief that his life was in danger, from himself probably....
            22-01-2022, 20:56 PM
          • Property damaged. Advice please
            by minorbark
            Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
            18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
          • Reply to Garage left filled with tenant's goods
            by theartfullodger
            When I bought a house in 2000 in the Highlands it came with a garage: Which had a car in it. Belonged to a neighbour, who used it to sleep in when he'd been in the pub too late & his wife locked him out. Took me 6 months to sort...
            22-01-2022, 18:51 PM
          • Garage left filled with tenant's goods
            by robbo2233
            Hi! Hoping the forum can advise me. We have a lock-up garage in a residential estate that had been let to an individual who ceased to pay monthly rental. Notice to quit was served by our letting agents Countrywide in October, and yet the tenant's goods still remain in situ. Agents have advised...
            20-01-2022, 21:31 PM
          • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
            by Lawcruncher
            The point here is though that the tenant's obligations under the tenancy cannot extend to repairing parts of the property which the landlord is under an obligation to repair.

Outside the tenancy, anyone, including a tenant, who damages property must meet the cost of repairing the damage....
            22-01-2022, 18:45 PM
          • Reply to Labour taxation plans
            by theartfullodger
            May I quote the Telegraph. on Sunak's kind gift of the highest tax burden for quite some time....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...tax-burden-70/
            22-01-2022, 18:10 PM
          • Labour taxation plans
            by steaming
            Rachel Reeves R4 this am told the interviewer that Labour (when in power) would raise money by taxing those with BTL property much more than at present, she opined it was wrong that “they” were “getting away with it”. No challenge from BBC or fact check as to present tax. You are warned.
            20-01-2022, 16:55 PM
            by SouthernDave
            The limited company system has been abused for too long by people trying to save on tax by claiming they are a company. I know loads of people of set themselves up as limted companies and have now been caught by IR35. They have spoiled it for those of us who have proper companies to rub who used to...
            22-01-2022, 17:55 PM
            by SouthernDave
            Agreed. Peoples care should not be down to those who work hard, to take from their labours. The levy is a joke and im disappointed in the conservatives for doing it.
            22-01-2022, 17:52 PM
          • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
            by SouthernDave
            I thought the main issue of taking a tenant on UC is not so much the fact they are receiving benefits, but the fact that its a pain in the proverbial to evict as the council tell them to sot tight until forced out by bailiffs....
            22-01-2022, 17:47 PM
          Working...
          X