Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint Contract. Pursuing rent arrears

Hi,

I let my house via a letting agent to 3 students each with a guarantor. The contract is a joint contract, however the guarantor is only for each individuals share of the rent.

One of the students stopped paying his share in Jan 2010 and then disappeared. The letting agents have tried to contact him and his guarantor through a collection agency however have heard nothing back. The other 2 students do not know where he has gone and will not provide any contact details for him. They also tried to quit but were told they would need to find someone to take over the tenancy, they decided to stay and said they would try and find someone to take his place. However they told the agent they cannot find anyone. The agent has explained they are liable for the rent as it was signed as a joint contract, but they are refusing to pay.

I visited the property to arrange some maintenance work and was met by someone who informed me he had been living there since Feb 2010 and had been paying rent to one of my tenants, however they did not inform the agency of this new tenant nor pass any money onto the agency.

The tenants are due to move out shortly and I believe they will leave the property without being evicted. However both original tenants are 3 months behind with their rent £1,000 each and the tenant who left in Jan 2010 will owe me about £2000.

I just need advice as to who I should pursue through the small claims court.

I'm guessing
    i)The two tenants who stayed - I will take their guarantors to court for each of their arrears. Can I do this on one claim form or does this have to be done separately?

ii)The tenant who disappeared -should I just take the 2 original tenants who had been subletting to court rather than waste time chasing someone who has gone underground. Also they have been collecting rent money and not passing it on. (However when challenged they denied this and blamed each other for collecting the money).

As there are so many people I could pursue I would just like your opinion on which route to choose first.

Many Thanks for your time
    Lou

Do you think all of them are likely to pay a county court judgment?

I would sue the three tenants jointly for the full rent arrears, together with the guarantors for each respective tenants breach.

You should check the form of the guarantees to ensure they are valid.
    PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

I believe at least one of them will pay a county court judgment as her guarantor has been in contact and also paid for the previous two months. I'm not sure of the other two.

I would sue the three tenants jointly for the full rent arrears, together with the guarantors for each respective tenants breach.
      Can this all be done on one form and at one hearing?

You should check the form of the guarantees to ensure they are valid.
      Is there anything in particular I need to check? It lists there details and the individual tenants with a payment schedule, period of tenancy, start date and address of tenancy. Also states "I will act as a guarantor as stated above. I will accept that you will contact me when the tenant does
      not pay, and I will make payment." and signed.

Many Thanks again.

Comment

Yes you can claim against all in 1 claim.

are the guarantees by way of deed?
        PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to who's repsponsibility
          by jpucng62
          Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
          02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
        • who's repsponsibility
          by madmaxwell
          Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
          02-12-2021, 08:54 AM
        • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
          by doobrey
          Agree with all the above.

General advice is not to let to family or friends.

If doing it, a long AST doesn't seem helpful to me. If both parties (as family members) trust each other implicitly then there should be no need for the contract. If they don't, then they should not...
          02-12-2021, 09:04 AM
        • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
          by meehr
          For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
          01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
        • Reply to who's repsponsibility
          by jpkeates
          No one's at fault.
          That just complicates things and makes it harder to agree a resolution.
          There was a storm and it made things fall over.

The question is, who's responsibility is fixing the problem? And it's the tenants'.
          02-12-2021, 09:03 AM
        • Reply to 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
          by jpkeates
          Notice from a landlord doesn't end the tenancy, so a long tenancy agreement with a break clause is loaded in favour of the tenant.

The clause that Hooper has quoted would allow a tenant to end the agreement at any point after the first six months by giving two months notice ending at the...
          02-12-2021, 08:58 AM
        • 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
          by Gurvinder
          Hi All

We have a property which is managed by a letting agent
          He has found new Tennent's that want to lease it for 5 yrs. There is a large hospital near the property and the tenants are NHS workers.

My questions are as below.

1) I read somewhere a long...
          30-11-2021, 21:42 PM
        • Reply to 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
          by Hooper
          Either the landlord or the tenant shall be entitled to terminate the tenancy by giving at least two
          months notice in writing to that effect. Notice must not expire within the first 6/12 months of the Term and must expire on the last day of a rental period....
          02-12-2021, 08:21 AM
        • Reply to Section 21 - can tenant leave before two months notice is up
          by jpkeates
          ROFL.

If they move out, the rent will stop automatically (or be reclaimed by the DWP if paid).

The tenant can stop the rent being paid to you anytime.

You’ve given them notice telling them to leave in 2 months and they’re trying to do what you said to do. You...
          02-12-2021, 08:16 AM
        • Section 21 - can tenant leave before two months notice is up
          by Seftonsefton
          Hi there

I recently gave notice via form 6a to my tenants with the two months notice being up on 15 January 2022.

I gave notice because I want to sell the flat in the middle of next year, but fully expected a protracted eviction because the tenants are unemployed and rely on...
          01-12-2021, 15:58 PM
        Working...
        X