Repaint after 1 year 3 months - wear and tear ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repaint after 1 year 3 months - wear and tear ?

I recently had a tenant move out of a flat and I could do with some advice.

The place was re-decorated 1 year 3 months ago. The agent has recommended it be redecorated (just the emulsion), and having visited I agree.

I was going to request some money from the tenant (I was thinking £100 of the £400 total) but the agent thinks this is just wear and tear so I should pay the whole amount.

In addition the washing machine facia has been cracked - I thought the tenant should pay for that repair, again the agent says it's wear and tear.

Is it worth me disputing either case to try and get some money back or do I just suck it and write a cheque to the contractors ?

Gary

Does the check-in inventory detail the condition of the washing machine and paintwork, preferably with photographic evidence?

Difficult to say for definite without seeing them, but I'd be inclined to think freshening up the emulsion my well be 'fair wear and tear' (although £400 sounds a lot for freshening up), but a cracked washing machine fascia is not FW&T -it's damage (accidental or otherwise) and could reasonably be claimed from T's deposit (assuming you have evidence that it wasn't cracked when T moved in).

Agent sounds a bit useless.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Hi,

I have a similar question regarding my property that has been let for 18 months now - my tenant's walls are grey and black in places. I think maybe be he walks around literally dragging his hands on the walls (I'm not being facetious, it really is possible). Is this fair wear and tear if I have to repaint pretty much the whole flat?

Can we charge for cleaning? For example, the toilet was new. It is now (close your eyes if you don't want to hear this!) quite black and brown inside. Not entirely sure how this has happened, maybe hair dye?

In general, it doesn't look like he has cleaned really (scummy bathroom etc). I do have pics etc of how the flat was when he got it.

IN PARTICULAR he has twice blocked the toilet by putting plastic down it. I paid the first time, and warned him about it. He did it again, can I charge him for this out of his deposit (180.00)?

I'm a good landlord, fair etc, so I want to continue to be. But I want to be fair to myself, too. This is not the kind of state I would return the flat and it is not in the state that I gave it to him in.

Your thoughts?

Comment

Thanks mate.

The agent supplies me with photo's of everything of course, but as you know they show absolutely nothing in regards of crappy re-painting / broken washing machine plinths.

So how much would you pay for re-painting a 2 bed flat ? (no gloss, just the walls)

Comment

Conflicted,

You can get the whole place cleaned including carpets for < £100

If you have black marks on the wall (like from a bike) you can patch them up yourself.

It will take you about 2 Hours

My Painters tell me '£15 p/h is **** all'

Comment

I'd love that cleaning recommendation! I don't mind paying at all if it isn't much. I think painting will be more. Any recommendations there would be good, too (I'm in South London)

The marks really do look like dirty hands have repeated been wiped along the walls. The kind you would expect from children. (I don't understand either, the marks are at reasonable adult height!)

I'd still love some advice on the toilet blocking, too.

Comment

Mind the gap,

The problem I have is 2 of the rooms were painted a different colour by the tenants, then re-painted back to magnolia when they left - badly.

So I'm stuck with 2 rooms with the normal mess you get with an amateur painter, single coat over a dark colour, emulsion all over the gloss work etc.

Rest of the flat just has the normal black marks / nails in the walls et al I can fix up in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by gpfwestie View Post
                Mind the gap,

The problem I have is 2 of the rooms were painted a different colour by the tenants, then re-painted back to magnolia when they left - badly.

So I'm stuck with 2 rooms with the normal mess you get with an amateur painter, single coat over a dark colour, emulsion all over the gloss work etc.

Rest of the flat just has the normal black marks / nails in the walls et al I can fix up in no time.
                Did they have permission to redecorate? If not, then they should restore it to its original (less fair wear and tear) - single coat over dark, with emulsion on the gloss is NOT its original state, nor is it wear and tear.

Comment

Is there a detailed inventory? Is the deposit protected? If the deposit isn't protected and should be, then be careful about deducting anything, you may be taken to court for 3x deposit. If it is protected and the tenant disputes any deductions then you will need a sufficiently detailed inventory to successfully make any deductions.

As a rough guide, freshly emulsioned walls should last 3-5 years between re-painting, this means that after 2 years, if the room needs repainting you would be able to claim 1/3 of the cost to re-paint. This is apportionment, and applies to most areas of properties. If a tenant is permitted to re-decorate under the written proviso it is returned to the original state and it is not, then as long as this is documented and preferably on the inventory, then it is classed as damage and tenant should pay the cost of re-painting to a proper standard.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X