student tenancy agreements.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

student tenancy agreements.

my friend has bought a house for her daughter to live in as a student. She is planning to let 2 or 3 of the rooms to other students.
    What sort of tenancy agreement should she use? would she take a deposit in the normal manner? I am thinking so. Should she use a house share agreement?
    Any advice on this would be much appreciated as I have never let to students.
    Thank you.
    Sue C

It would be a standard AST - presumably one for each tenant giving them exclusive use of one room.

All the usual landlord obligations apply - including the requirement to get C3 planning permission and probably a HMO license.

Deposits are essential, and as your tenants would have little in the way of assets, a guarantor is vital - although in some towns not the norm.

Comment

Is the daughter the resident owner, though? If she is, lettings cannot be ASTs.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        Is the daughter the resident owner, though? If she is, lettings cannot be ASTs.
        Originally posted by Sue Cox View Post
        my friend has bought a house for her daughter to live in
        In this situation can the daughter be the resident owner? (How, if her mother bought it?)

I would also suggest a joint tenancy agreement as the preferable option to separate ASTs.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          In this situation can the daughter be the resident owner? (How, if her mother bought it?)
          Because, obviously, M may have bought the house in D's name.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

But it cannot now be a joint AST if there are more than 2 non-related sharers due to recent change in HMO laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy35 View Post
              But it cannot now be a joint AST if there are more than 2 non-related sharers due to recent change in HMO laws.
              You ideally need C4 use. Local authoritys are against granting it because they want big developers to build more student flats until students no longer live in houses. Then they can compulsory purchase their newly created slums and bulldoze them to sell the land to developers.

If the house was occupied by more than 2 people forming more than 1 household before 6th April 2010 and you can prove it you have established use.

If not, the sharers have to live there undetected by the planning department for 10 years in order to be immune from enforecement.

If they apply for council tax exemption, the council will want to know the details of every occupant. If there is more than one household the council tax will inform the planning dept.

Maybe you could just pay the council tax and don't tell them who's there?

They could all change their names to the same name perhaps?

The only loophole for sharers to live in C3 accommodation without needing planning permission is if they form a polygamory.

The Tories may scrap C4.

(Not legal advice)

Comment

Or you could just abide by the law.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Because, obviously, M may have bought the house in D's name.
                  Why 'obviously', Jeffrey, please?

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                    Why 'obviously', Jeffrey, please?
                    Originally posted by Sue Cox View Post
                    my friend has bought a house for her daughter to live in as a student. She is planning to let 2 or 3 of the rooms to other students.
                    Well, who is the 'she' mentioned? Obviously, it must be mother or daughter.

Comment

Well, who is the 'she' mentioned? Obviously, it must be mother or daughter.
                      I was not querying the identity of the buyer. It was simply that the mother said she bought the property for her daughter to live in as a student, not that she bought the house for her daughter, full stop. The difference is, I think, significant.

Unless she has more money than sense, I cannot think why she would want to pay for a house then sign over ownership of it to her student daughter in any case - can you?

Comment

May be tax-advantageous?

Comment

May be tax-advantageous?
                          Yes, I suppose the parent would avoid paying CGT when the property is sold.

Comment

May also save on Council Tax and (eventually) IHT

Comment

May also save on Council Tax and (eventually) IHT
                              No council tax would be payable anyway if all the tenants/residents were students.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Imminent eviction
                                by Perce
                                Thank you Slackjawedyokel.

I was amazed how many people from the block where my tenant lived came to support me on the day the eviction took place. They all knew what was going on and they were all tenants themselves. He did not cause them any problem.

I told my tenant...
                                25-07-2021, 11:14 AM
                              • Imminent eviction
                                by Perce
                                Hello All

Update : My tenant has no plans to move out before bailiffs arrive which is imminent. I have no clue what the bailiffs will do. He will start complaining that he has nowhere to go although he lives somewhere else just keeps his stuff in the property for free, he might say...
                                21-07-2021, 19:10 PM
                              • Reply to Lodger on uc
                                by doobrey
                                Give her notice. As an excluded occupier she has got limited rights. It is not like evicting a tenant. Having not paid rent, I'm not sure if she has any right to occupy(?) I did look into this once but never found a very conclusive answer.

If you get into real problems you can change the...
                                25-07-2021, 10:42 AM
                              • Lodger on uc
                                by rmermaid1965
                                Hi I took in my friend who I've known 27 years. Her boyfriend kicked her out in the street during lockdown. I took her in and helped her claim uc so she can get some sort of income aswell as paying me rent im on benefits.shes been here 7 months but every month she kept making excuses and...
                                25-07-2021, 10:15 AM
                              • Reply to Does a GCRO made by a Designated Civil Judge concern only one county court?
                                by Obiter
                                There is only one County Court in England and Wales. The County Court identified in a GCRO will be that County Court. There used to be many County Courts, but they have been merged into one. The wording of the Practice Direction is merely a relic of the previous arrangement....
                                25-07-2021, 10:32 AM
                              • Does a GCRO made by a Designated Civil Judge concern only one county court?
                                by progress
                                Practice Direction 4.2 (1) concerning General Civil Restraint Order says

“4.2 Unless the court otherwise orders, where the court makes a general civil restraint order, the party against whom the order is made –
                                (1) will be restrained from issuing any claim or making any application...
                                24-07-2021, 11:21 AM
                              • Reply to Section 21 received - how much rent to pay in the last month?
                                by Rach1990
                                Reading more posts on here, I'm now concerned that the section 21 doesn't end the tenancy / my liability to pay rent. So I could serve notice myself but that would have to end at the end of a month (as rental period starts on the 1st). So I wouldn't be getting the full 4 months notice that I'm entitled...
                                25-07-2021, 10:26 AM
                              • Section 21 received - how much rent to pay in the last month?
                                by Rach1990
                                Hi

I'm a tenant and have received a section 21 to leave "after 7 October 2021". I'm on a statutory periodic tenancy. The tenancy period runs from the 1st of the month and I pay my rent on the 1st. The notes with the section 21 say I may be entitled to a repayment of rent if the...
                                07-07-2021, 19:17 PM
                              • Reply to Imminent eviction
                                by Slackjawedyokel
                                It sounds like you have been remarkably understanding and lenient- there was no way my tenants were being allowed back in once the bailiffs had attended. I had thought I would shift everything out onto the roadside if they wanted to collect anything, but in the event there was far, far too much stuff....
                                25-07-2021, 09:49 AM
                              • Reply to Latest (?) How To Rent guide
                                by boletus
                                That would be my guess too but there is no legal authority for that at present.

I wouldn't want to be a landlord arguing it against a free legal aid lawyer trying to delay a section 21....
                                25-07-2021, 09:41 AM
                              Working...
                              X