Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord won't pay

Hello again,

it is me again with a new problem and I hope for some advice.

One week after I moved into my current house I realised that the oven in the kitchen is not working. It is an electrical oven with a gas hob. The hob works fine but the heating elements in the oven itself have gone. I got in touch with our letting agency and they sent someone around to have a look at the oven. The situation is that it is cheaper to replace the oven than actually repairing it, since the oven is quite an old model.

The landlord was informed and gave his okay to replace the oven. Now the company that are going to replace the cooker are waiting for the landlord to transfer the money. And he hasn't done it yet. We've been waiting for the money resp. the oven for 5 weeks now and I am getting to the point when I am really annoyed. I even asked to pay for the cooker and then get the money reimbursed off the rent. The reply was no. Because I have already payed around £1000,- on carpets and the letting agency is currently reimbursing me for them. It was the same problem with the landlord. The landlord gave the go-ahead but never sent any money.

My question now is, although I know it is not nice, whether there is any way of pushing the landlord a bit? Maybe partially retain the rent?

Thanks a lot!
    Mairi

The landlord was informed and gave his okay to replace the oven, but was that:
    a. to his Letting Agent; or
    b. direct to you?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hello Jeffrey,

his okay was given to the letting agency, however I was forwarded the e-mail conversation with the landlord, so indirectly I have the okay here as well. I assume it was not intended of the letting agent to forward the complete conversation to me but he did.

Comment

Yes. My reason for asking was to see if there was anything legally-enforceable against L, but there doesn't seem to be.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

So there is basically nothing I can do? Just wait?

Comment

Yes, unless you can show that L is under a contractual duty binding on L. What about:
            a. the Inventory (does the oven/hob appear); and
            b. the Agreement (any obligations there)?

Comment

Hello,

I am not sure if the cooker is mentioned in the inventory. I will have a look. I don't know anything about the agreement with the letting agency but I will ask.

Thanks a lot for your help jeffrey!

Comment

Originally posted by Mairi View Post
                Hello,

I am not sure if the cooker is mentioned in the inventory. I will have a look. I don't know anything about the agreement with the letting agency but I will ask.

Thanks a lot for your help jeffrey!
                NO- not the Agency Agreement (L and A) but the Tenancy Agreement (L to T).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X