X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Originally posted by westminster View Post
    I would also check which contract clauses the prescribed info, presumably sent in Feb 2010, refers to in terms of allowable deductions. It'd make a difference if, say, Clause 15 of contract 1 says deductions can be made for rent arrears, whereas Clause 15 of contract 2 is about T not playing loud music after 11pm (though it's a long shot as I imagine LL would have used very similar contracts for both tenancies, but you never know).
    Nah - identical contracts

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Originally posted by westminster View Post
    I would also check which contract clauses the prescribed info, presumably sent in Feb 2010, refers to in terms of allowable deductions. It'd make a difference if, say, Clause 15 of contract 1 says deductions can be made for rent arrears, whereas Clause 15 of contract 2 is about T not playing loud music after 11pm (though it's a long shot as I imagine LL would have used very similar contracts for both tenancies, but you never know).
    Miss X claims no prescribed info sent. I haven't suggested using this as an obstacle to the s21 (yet) because Miss X actually wants out of the tenancy.

Miss X is somewhat daunted by the prospect of fighting for her deposit (although I have now convinced her that she should at least try). So I am trying to prepare her for claiming it by reassuring her that "we" know exactly how to handle the DPS dispute. There are no serious damages, just wear and tear comensurate with 2 toddlers.

The landlord has not, so far, been very keen to follow legal process and is now threatening to evict on 2 June (no court order). LL tried this in February so I have given the relative advice so that should go without a hitch.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    ..until Y returns and claims harassment. And damages.
    I agree - but not my problem. In this instance I am firmly on Ts side

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
    That may be so - but I think one has to regard X+Y as having surrendered tenancy, thus allowing L to let to X.
    ..until Y returns and claims harassment. And damages.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post

Am I right? How would Miss X get this across to DPS if landlord tries to claim on the deposit for any reason?
    Miss X could produce evidence such as the joint tenancy agreement dated Feb 2009 (the date LL told the DPS the tenancy began), and the new contract dated Nov 2009. I imagine that'd be enough at least to put a spanner in the works.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    That may be so - but I think one has to regard X+Y as having surrendered tenancy, thus allowing L to let to X.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    But if an X+Y term was still running, L was not competent to re-let to X alone.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    For how long was the joint-names AST granted? Was its fixed term still running when Mr Y ran?
    Complex. It was in the 2nd 6 month fixed term - but landlord gave ultimatum - Mr Y goes or you both (and 2 young kids) go. I know that would have been illegal eviction - but they didn't. A new agreement was signed by just Miss X in Nov 2009.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    For how long was the joint-names AST granted? Was its fixed term still running when Mr Y ran?

Leave a comment:

• Joint AST then sole- first's deposit kept by L for second

I have a friend (Miss X) who started a joint tenancy with her partner (Mr Y) in February 2009. A deposit of £575 was paid which was not protected.

In November 2009 Miss X & Mr Y parted (partly due to Mr Y's non-payment of rent) and a new tenancy agreement was signed in Miss X's name only. The original deposit was not returned, the landlord kept it for the new tenancy.

In Feb 2010, after serving an invalid s21, the landlord protected the deposit with DPS. However, the landlord has stated the tenancy date is February 2009, whilst stating the tenant is Miss X - ie the sole tenancy, with no mention of Mr Y as a tenant.

I have a feeling that this deposit is not clearly lodged against either tenancy and that therefore the landlord would not be able claim on it when Miss X leaves.

Am I right? How would Miss X get this across to DPS if landlord tries to claim on the deposit for any reason?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent a Room scheme
    by lgr001
    Just as an afterthought... Plan B: Would I be allowed to have someone stay in the mobile home rent free in return for helping me about the farm? (I have 10 acres which needs a lot of up keep in the summer) They would shower and wash and possibly cook in the main home but just sleep and use the lounge...
    25-01-2022, 14:55 PM
  • Rent a Room scheme
    by lgr001
    I have a mobile home next to my property. Do I qualify for the rent a room scheme if I rent out the mobile home but the occupant must use the shower and washing facilities in my house i.e. so that the mobile home is not a separate unit of accommodation? There is a provision by the council that it...
    24-01-2022, 14:25 PM
  • Reply to Rent a Room scheme
    by lgr001
    Thanks everyone. I will take your advice and not bother. The mobile home is on my property and the door is about 10ft away from my door but it has shower, toilet etc. I really don't think it's worth all the bother especially as I have an extremely difficult neighbour who would report me at the drop...
    25-01-2022, 14:48 PM
  • Reply to VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?
    by jpkeates
    You're right, fuzzy thinking day.
    25-01-2022, 14:29 PM
  • VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?
    by Affinite
    My agent collects rent from my student tenants along with a monthly utilities charge.as part of their "Bills Inclusive" package
    In the past, the utilities charge to my tenants has always included VAT at 5% (as per normal domestic bills) however the agent has now told me that his accountant...
    25-01-2022, 11:13 AM
  • Reply to Unlicensed and HMO and room size
    by jpkeates
    The licence is driven by the number of people living there, not the number of rooms.
    So if a four bed property ends up with a couple in one of the rooms it'll be a large HMO.

The room size regulations aren't limited to licensed HMOs, but enforcement is limited.
    The local authority...
    25-01-2022, 14:27 PM
  • Unlicensed and HMO and room size
    by zrux
    My area doesn't need a HMO licence for 4 bed property. The license is only reqd for a 5 bed and more.

I have a 4 bed property which I rent out to students as a 3 bedroom house. The 4th bedroom size is bit less than 6.51 sq meters reqd for a HMO license and as a result I have never allowed...
    25-01-2022, 14:11 PM
  • Reply to VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?
    by Sydaton
    I'm not saying that it's correct for the agent to add VAT (because it's a disbursement not a supply) but if they were adding 20% to the net price they wouldn't be losing any money.

The sums would be
    purchase £100 + 5% VAT = £105
    sale £100 + 20% VAT = £120

Agent...
    25-01-2022, 13:59 PM
  • Reply to Water Damage
    by Hooper
    As a word of warning - it took my insurers two months to arrange a first inspection by their loss adjuster and five months to agree to lift floor coverings to inspect beneath after water ingress in a rental.

As frustrating as it is for you, I don't think that your tenants complaining about...
    25-01-2022, 13:45 PM
  • Water Damage
    by Cheetah
    I have three 20-somethings in an ex-council flat in a block of six. A week ago they reported that the carpet and the furniture legs in the small bedroom had been damaged by water ingress. The tenant in that room had to move into the lounge. The council have accepted responsibility for the damage as...
    25-01-2022, 08:34 AM
Working...
X