Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• westminster
    replied
    If the claim is well over £1000, and the T has the means to pay (e.g. has a job), then I would definitely pursue it - but that's just what I'd do.

The small claims procedure is fairly straightforward but long-winded - in brief:
    • You send T a letter before action detailing money owed, and give a deadline to pay, saying that you'll issue a claim if no payment received
    • You issue a claim (via Money Claim Online) - this includes the 'particulars of claim' which is a concise statement of the facts of the claim
    • Wait for the T to submit her defence (or perhaps admit the claim, or issue a counterclaim)
    • Assuming she doesn't admit the claim, then you get sent an 'allocation questionnaire' (which helps the court decide which track to allocate the claim to - if it's less than £5,000 it will almost certainly go to the small claims track, but the procedure is the same for everyone)
    • Eventually, you're asked to submit your evidence/witness statement (i.e. things like the inventory check-in, tenancy contract, and the statement is a detailed account of what happened), and get a hearing date
    • The hearing will take place near to where the T now lives, and will probably last between a few hours to a whole day, depending on how complex the claim is
    • If you win, court fees are added to the claim (fees are relatively low for small claims)

But all this can take between 4 - 6 months from start to finish, depending on the speed of response from the defendant, whether there's a counter claim or not, and how busy the particular court is.

When you obtain a CCJ, it's then up to you to enforce it; there are various methods including sending bailiffs to seize property, or getting installments deducted from wages, etc.

It may be that you find the whole prospect stressful because you haven't done it before; in which case, it might help to buy a book on the small claims procedure (there are a few on Amazon).

Also, as a landlord, it's perhaps inevitable that the need for court action will arise even if it's only occasionally; personally, I think it's a good thing to gain familiarity with the procedure because you are then better placed for the next time anything happens (whether as a landlord, or consumer, etc) and able to take it more in your stride.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by gullarm View Post
    my tnt has now left, she is around £800 in arrears.

The deposit wont even cover the damage to the house.

Is it worth chasing for the arrears through moneyclaim.

How does it work? What actually happens? How much?

I have a feeling she may pay up if the courts get involved, or may try and make a repayment plan with me ( not that she has stuck to them before ) but I don't actually want to go to court, I will have to take time off and Im stressed enough as it is.

So my question is - what do you think!
    I think that there are no magic bullets. If you find the prospect of court action too stressful, then there seems little point embarking on it. Moneyclaim starts off online but you may well have to attend a hearing if the defendant objects to your claim.

Leave a comment:

• gullarm
    started a topic tnt in arrears and has now left is it worth chasing

tnt in arrears and has now left is it worth chasing

my tnt has now left, she is around £800 in arrears.

The deposit wont even cover the damage to the house.

Is it worth chasing for the arrears through moneyclaim.

How does it work? What actually happens? How much?

I have a feeling she may pay up if the courts get involved, or may try and make a repayment plan with me ( not that she has stuck to them before ) but I don't actually want to go to court, I will have to take time off and Im stressed enough as it is.

So my question is - what do you think!

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Unlicensed and HMO and room size
    by DPT57
    Actually I think the room size regulations in the Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (Mandatory Conditions of Licences)(England) Regulations 2018 are limited to licensable HMOs. The Part X Housing Act 1985 space standards would apply, but I believe that in these, a room that is smaller than...
    25-01-2022, 17:15 PM
  • Unlicensed and HMO and room size
    by zrux
    My area doesn't need a HMO licence for 4 bed property. The license is only reqd for a 5 bed and more.

I have a 4 bed property which I rent out to students as a 3 bedroom house. The 4th bedroom size is bit less than 6.51 sq meters reqd for a HMO license and as a result I have never allowed...
    25-01-2022, 14:11 PM
  • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
    by theartfullodger
    IHT and/or CGT exposure?
    25-01-2022, 17:05 PM
  • Inherited a few rentals
    by Landlord7289
    Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
    25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
  • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
    by theartfullodger
    Serve (yourself) s8 for arrears today.

Sounds like in addition to agent lack-of-perfection the Tenant hasn't heard the message.

Can we assume you'll provide no reference or only a full, honest one, and will instruct agent to do likewise?

Have you formally gone...
    25-01-2022, 17:04 PM
  • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
    by Beeble
    We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
    25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
  • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
    by jpkeates
    This is pretty much me, although my agent is very good and doesn't need much "rein".

They have a high street presence, which tenants like (makes the agent more real) and have multiple people to answer phones.
    And they have a mostly female staff, which is a big plus for ...
    25-01-2022, 16:51 PM
  • Greetings, I Come in Peace
    by AVJ113
    Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
    20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
  • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
    by jpkeates
    Paperwork shouldn't be an issue in claiming unpaid rent.
    Unpaid rent is usually easy to prove - the tenant's paid some and has obviously been renting something.

The issue is usually that the tenant doesn't have the money they owe.

The lack of agent and paperwork will...
    25-01-2022, 16:48 PM
  • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
    by Hudson01
    As said above, unless being a landlord has been a childhood dream (weird if it were), i vote to sell and move on. A lot of experienced LL's are selling up anyway due to a multitude of rubbish from the govt, in your position, simply reap the reward of your late fathers good financial decisions and enjoy...
    25-01-2022, 16:44 PM
Working...
X