tnt in arrears and has now left is it worth chasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tnt in arrears and has now left is it worth chasing

my tnt has now left, she is around £800 in arrears.

The deposit wont even cover the damage to the house.

Is it worth chasing for the arrears through moneyclaim.

How does it work? What actually happens? How much?

I have a feeling she may pay up if the courts get involved, or may try and make a repayment plan with me ( not that she has stuck to them before ) but I don't actually want to go to court, I will have to take time off and Im stressed enough as it is.

So my question is - what do you think!

Originally posted by gullarm View Post
    my tnt has now left, she is around £800 in arrears.

The deposit wont even cover the damage to the house.

Is it worth chasing for the arrears through moneyclaim.

How does it work? What actually happens? How much?

I have a feeling she may pay up if the courts get involved, or may try and make a repayment plan with me ( not that she has stuck to them before ) but I don't actually want to go to court, I will have to take time off and Im stressed enough as it is.

So my question is - what do you think!
    I think that there are no magic bullets. If you find the prospect of court action too stressful, then there seems little point embarking on it. Moneyclaim starts off online but you may well have to attend a hearing if the defendant objects to your claim.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

If the claim is well over £1000, and the T has the means to pay (e.g. has a job), then I would definitely pursue it - but that's just what I'd do.

The small claims procedure is fairly straightforward but long-winded - in brief:
      • You send T a letter before action detailing money owed, and give a deadline to pay, saying that you'll issue a claim if no payment received
      • You issue a claim (via Money Claim Online) - this includes the 'particulars of claim' which is a concise statement of the facts of the claim
      • Wait for the T to submit her defence (or perhaps admit the claim, or issue a counterclaim)
      • Assuming she doesn't admit the claim, then you get sent an 'allocation questionnaire' (which helps the court decide which track to allocate the claim to - if it's less than £5,000 it will almost certainly go to the small claims track, but the procedure is the same for everyone)
      • Eventually, you're asked to submit your evidence/witness statement (i.e. things like the inventory check-in, tenancy contract, and the statement is a detailed account of what happened), and get a hearing date
      • The hearing will take place near to where the T now lives, and will probably last between a few hours to a whole day, depending on how complex the claim is
      • If you win, court fees are added to the claim (fees are relatively low for small claims)

But all this can take between 4 - 6 months from start to finish, depending on the speed of response from the defendant, whether there's a counter claim or not, and how busy the particular court is.

When you obtain a CCJ, it's then up to you to enforce it; there are various methods including sending bailiffs to seize property, or getting installments deducted from wages, etc.

It may be that you find the whole prospect stressful because you haven't done it before; in which case, it might help to buy a book on the small claims procedure (there are a few on Amazon).

Also, as a landlord, it's perhaps inevitable that the need for court action will arise even if it's only occasionally; personally, I think it's a good thing to gain familiarity with the procedure because you are then better placed for the next time anything happens (whether as a landlord, or consumer, etc) and able to take it more in your stride.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dogs
        by royw
        What does your AST say about it?
        05-12-2021, 23:20 PM
      • Dogs
        by Bridge2020
        My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
        05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
      • Advice on s.8 & s.21
        by Hetty911
        Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Would be grateful for advice on the below.

Have a tenant on a AST which expired in July and has rolled onto a periodic tenancy. Over past 6 months rent has been delayed, partial and on two occasions unpaid. 2 months rent is missing...
        05-12-2021, 22:01 PM
      • Reply to Accelerated possession order
        by Hudson01
        Unless the tenant has dependent children, some, or all with a disability, and some other form of vulnerability for her/him self..... they will be in a crummy emergency accommodation flea pit or a dumpy flat in a place resembling the film set of '' Escape from New York ''. They are deluded.
        05-12-2021, 20:36 PM
      • Accelerated possession order
        by Pariah81
        A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
        05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
        by theartfullodger
        Thatcher's 1988 housing act makes it clear tenant does not have to leave at end of fixed term

Why help tenant take a council property from a more deserving case? I'd decline to serve s21. S8 if possible... (was she ever late with rent?)
        05-12-2021, 19:17 PM
        by Pariah81
        Ok so it looks like the section 21 notice is invalid as a result of this error. The deposit scheme was not in place at the time of the notice.

Apparently the deposit has to be returned in full....
        05-12-2021, 18:35 PM
      • Reply to Dogs
        by ash72
        The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
        05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
      • Reply to Dogs
        by jpkeates
        I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
        You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
        05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
      • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
        by jpkeates
        Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
        You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
        And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
        05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
      Working...
      X