no heat and hot water for over 6 weeks!!am i entilted to rent compensation???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best to define terms wherever possible, adding a default assumption.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      ..and is that a lot relevant, a bit relevant, or just the usual irrelevance?
      It is relevant in the context of the debate about 'reasonableness'.

Context again, see!
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Only you believe that it's relevant. Lonely, is it?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          Only you believe that it's relevant. Lonely, is it?
          Me, and most other humans! So no, it isn't lonely. Kind of you to ask, though.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to who's repsponsibility
            by jpucng62
            Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
            02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
          • who's repsponsibility
            by madmaxwell
            Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
            02-12-2021, 08:54 AM
          • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
            by doobrey
            Agree with all the above.

General advice is not to let to family or friends.

If doing it, a long AST doesn't seem helpful to me. If both parties (as family members) trust each other implicitly then there should be no need for the contract. If they don't, then they should not...
            02-12-2021, 09:04 AM
          • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
            by meehr
            For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
            01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
          • Reply to who's repsponsibility
            by jpkeates
            No one's at fault.
            That just complicates things and makes it harder to agree a resolution.
            There was a storm and it made things fall over.

The question is, who's responsibility is fixing the problem? And it's the tenants'.
            02-12-2021, 09:03 AM
          • Reply to 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
            by jpkeates
            Notice from a landlord doesn't end the tenancy, so a long tenancy agreement with a break clause is loaded in favour of the tenant.

The clause that Hooper has quoted would allow a tenant to end the agreement at any point after the first six months by giving two months notice ending at the...
            02-12-2021, 08:58 AM
          • 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
            by Gurvinder
            Hi All

We have a property which is managed by a letting agent
            He has found new Tennent's that want to lease it for 5 yrs. There is a large hospital near the property and the tenants are NHS workers.

My questions are as below.

1) I read somewhere a long...
            30-11-2021, 21:42 PM
          • Reply to 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
            by Hooper
            Either the landlord or the tenant shall be entitled to terminate the tenancy by giving at least two
            months notice in writing to that effect. Notice must not expire within the first 6/12 months of the Term and must expire on the last day of a rental period....
            02-12-2021, 08:21 AM
          • Reply to Section 21 - can tenant leave before two months notice is up
            by jpkeates
            ROFL.

If they move out, the rent will stop automatically (or be reclaimed by the DWP if paid).

The tenant can stop the rent being paid to you anytime.

You’ve given them notice telling them to leave in 2 months and they’re trying to do what you said to do. You...
            02-12-2021, 08:16 AM
          • Section 21 - can tenant leave before two months notice is up
            by Seftonsefton
            Hi there

I recently gave notice via form 6a to my tenants with the two months notice being up on 15 January 2022.

I gave notice because I want to sell the flat in the middle of next year, but fully expected a protracted eviction because the tenants are unemployed and rely on...
            01-12-2021, 15:58 PM
          Working...
          X