LA showing tenants around with 2 hours notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LA showing tenants around with 2 hours notice

Hello, earlier today (around 11am) my guarantor received a text message from the Letting Agent saying that they are recommencing viewings of my flat because the tenant they found did not pass their checks. At around 1pm they turned up with prospective tenants to view the property, they were turned away because I had only had 2 hours notice and was in the middle of revising (I have an exam tomorrow).

The guy that runs the Letting Agency spent about an hour repeatedly calling myself and my guarantor (at her work place) to tell us that they are instructing their solicitor to regain losses from me unless we let them in for viewings.

They used their break clause in early March, which means I have to leave on 29th May (they used it as part of a scam to attempt to raise the rent) and despite being in the middle of essay writing I allowed them in for viewings (I even cleaned). Due to the proximity to the end of the term (less than 3 weeks), the fact I am revising for exams and the general behaviour of the Letting Agent, I'm not inclined to let them into the property for viewings.

As I understand it, I don't have to let them in so I am able to do this. Can I disregard their threats (and the advice from the Local Authority's Private Renting guy who said they are able to sue me for losses)? I suspect the Letting Agent knows that they have no right to enter the property and is trying to use threats in the hope I capitulate.

You are right - you do not have to let them in especially on 2 hours notice. And they would not have much luck suing you as they are harrassing you and making threats which you could take action against yourself. Point this out in no uncertain terms and write to any trade body like ARLA they may belong to complaining about your treatment.

Offer times and notice periods you expect to see observed and they can have no complaint.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

They're not a member of any trade body (of course, companies that conduct themselves in this way never are).

I'm not available to allow viewings until a few days before the their notice expires (and I'm planning to leave around that time anyway), I want to be left alone to revise and I can't accommodate any viewings. At the moment I'm wary of leaving the flat unattended, if there was more than 2.5 weeks left to run I would probably change the locks but its not really worth the money.

I'm planning to write to them if I can get to a post office (for the proof of posting).

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
        Offer times and notice periods you expect to see observed and they can have no complaint.
        Agreed. It is important always to be reasonable. If the tenancy agreement contains a provision for viewings at reasonable notice, and the landlord is rich and litigious, it's inadvisable to refuse any viewings whatsoever. An hour, once a week, is probably enough to defeat any claim for LL's losses.

Comment

Does that apply even if I cannot under any circumstances be available to allow people to be shown around until the 26th (when I'm planning to move out)?

I've already allowed them to conduct viewings 2.5 months ago (incidentally this is before the provision in the tenancy agreement came into force, it said in the last two months but they started viewings at 2.5 months) to the extent I missed a coursework deadline to clean the property (I was incentivised by the fact they said they'd put it on the market as available earlier, I'd foolishly assumed they'd do this because the whole reason we're in this situation was because they wanted an increased rent).

I feel like I'm not explaining the entire situation fully, this started at the beginning of March and has effected me since. Its been fully documented on another forum and they've advised me to see a solicitor because some of their tactics look like harassment.

Comment

why are you completely unavailable for the next 12 days? Without wanting to defend the agent's actions, that sounds unreasonable to me, especially if you are a student.

Also, if you are missing coursework deadlines because of this you really need to get a grip of your priorities and stop letting this stress you out.

Comment

I have exams and need to revise and I don't wish to be disturbed, it was their choice to knowingly let to students, if they don't understand the consequences of that they should avoid students in the future. They wouldn't have had this problem if they allowed me to stay for the initially contracted term, instead of acting in a totally cretinous way in attempting to extort a rent increase from me (and other tenants).

Comment

In that case it sounds like you are being deliberately unreasonable to spite the landlord for exercising their legal rights in using the break clause.

Comment

I'd say you are also being unreasonable. Stipulate a time or day slot that would be convenient for viewings to take place.
                  <a href="http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/" target="_blank">Manchester letting agents</a>

Comment

Owen - have you ever done Uni finals - I have
                    Bearing in mind that we start from the point of not having to allow any access, as long as some is given the LL is winning. He is not being "unreasonable" nor is there anything to indicate "spite" - just a desire to pass his exams - not a bad aim, in my book. I passed mine and look at me now!
                    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                      Bearing in mind that we start from the point of not having to allow any access, as long as some is given the LL is winning. He is not being "unreasonable" nor is there anything to indicate "spite" - just a desire to pass his exams - not a bad aim, in my book. I passed mine and look at me now!
                      I agree. OP should just say 'no' at this stage.
                      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                        islandgirl, i certainly have. I did a fairly demanding degree (engineering) and at no point during my final year was i so busy i couldn't have taken 10 minutes out to show round prospective tenants.

I really don't know how you can consider that someone who hasn't got a job to go to, can deny 10 minutes access to a house for best part of a fortnight and that not be unreasonable?

Comment

It seems clear that what is getting to the OP is the agent's attitude and complete lack of professionalism. Agents are too used to riding roughshod over tenants and getting away with it. Any sensible agent will know that a polite request is less likely to be refused than a peremptory demand. Every agent should employ someone with a Sybil Fawlty voice to ring up to make appointments.

Comment

Essentially this isn't an isolated incident, they've behaved in this way since early March. The letting agent is a total crook who I can't wait to stop dealing with (only two weeks now, thankfully). I've already accommodated them for viewings when they initially put the property back on the market (this was about 2 to 3 weeks before the contract said they would be conducting viewings, i.e. in the last 2 months), this included waiting around because they were late by an hour (it was around 9pm when they finally turned up).

This time around they've decided it isn't necessary to give appropriate times. They text message they sent amounted to 'we'll be conducting viewings at an undefined day in the future at an unspecified time, you have no choice in the matter'. Then around two hours after that (I'm being generous with that estimate, I know it was less than 2 hours) they turned up, just as my flatmate got out of the shower.

If the Letting Agent were a more considerate organisation that allowed me to stay out the entire contract as I intended, I think I would be more accommodating about viewings as the last two months would fall in August and September. But they're a dishonourable bunch of crooks who keep threatening to contact their solicitor in order to get their own way. After they were turned away by my flatmate yesterday, the moron who runs the company called my guarantor 5 times on her mobile and then started to call her at her place of work, at which point she had to answer the call and received the solicitor threat. They also called my flatmate twice around the same time.

They're a nasty bunch of people, totally unscrupulous. I know I'm not their only victim and I doubt I'll be the last.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X