Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boiler?

hi,
    does anyone on here know anything about boilers? mine is clanking alot and the thing in the bathroom (cant remember what you call it it is the thing wraped up in foam stuff) sounds like its gonna explode
    you know instantly this is a woman talking.no offence to these woman who are good with this sort of thing.i am just a typical girly girl who has no clue about theses thing
    anyway i am scared to put it on now and without it i have no hot watermy ll as you know wont fix it as i have to be out soon,but i need to use it whilst i am still here.
    any advice would be appreciated

Well, I appreciate this is obvious, but as those of us who know a thing or two about boilers and the foam wrapped thingy in your bathroom (hot water cylinder I expect) can't pop around and give you the benefit of their advice F.O.C. you'll have to contact a plumber (or your landlord/agent if you are a tenant).

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

have you actually asked your LL? it is his responsibility to get it checked and if necessary, repaired for you at the earliest opportunity. Even if you are leaving, he will still need to get it fixed for the next tenant so it's in his interest that he gets it done.

If he does refuse, I'd be inclined to tell him that you will get it sorted and take it off your next month's rent - if you're going to be there that long!

Alternatively, go to the Housing Department and tell them ... it may spur them on to sort out your accommodation sooner rather than wait for the bailiffs etc especially as you have young children!

Hope this helps .. it makes me realise how lucky I am with my LL (even though I'm having to leave anyway) - I had no water last week cos of the boiler - the Corgi guy was round in 24 hours!

Good luck!
      Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

hi,
        i just dont have enough money to get a plumber and my rent is paid direct by the council.my landlord will not fix it ,only a month or two ago my son had water coming in through his wall and they refused to repair it.
        enviromental health are no use as they take around 6 weeks even to speak to you let alone make a visit.i have to be out by the 21st so there is not much point but i cannot do without hot water till then
        aaaah i hate my landlord. i so wish you could blacklist them!!!

Comment

You must tell the LL about this - exaggerate if necessary and get in touch with the council department that deals with harassment from LL's - I know there is one but don't know what it's called. Also advise the Housing Officer that is dealing with your case and they may be able to, if not help, then at least point you in the right direction

But one thing is certain -If you don't do anything, it WON'T get fixed.

Originally posted by mole
          hi,
          i just dont have enough money to get a plumber and my rent is paid direct by the council.my landlord will not fix it ,only a month or two ago my son had water coming in through his wall and they refused to repair it.
          enviromental health are no use as they take around 6 weeks even to speak to you let alone make a visit.i have to be out by the 21st so there is not much point but i cannot do without hot water till then
          aaaah i hate my landlord. i so wish you could blacklist them!!!
          Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Originally posted by pippay
            But one thing is certain -If you don't do anything, it WON'T get fixed.
            Tell him that it's getting worse and the damage to his boiler is obviously getting more severe so will cost more to fix.... that might stir him into action!

Incidentally - I take it this is a gas boiler we talking about? If so presumably you have a copy of the annual Landlord's Gas Safety Certificate?

Comment

That said Eric, the guy who does my LL's annual check said that by law they only have to carry out a safety check not a service so it doesn't necessarily mean that just because a gas boiler is safe, all components are working properly (e.g pump )

But I take your point that if the safety check hasn't been carried out, the OP has even more cause for concern and complaint and this may carry more weight if she needs to involve outside agencies, such as the Local Authority.

Originally posted by Ericthelobster
              Tell him that it's getting worse and the damage to his boiler is obviously getting more severe so will cost more to fix.... that might stir him into action!

Incidentally - I take it this is a gas boiler we talking about? If so presumably you have a copy of the annual Landlord's Gas Safety Certificate?

Comment

the next one is due in sept. there was a problem with it last time he visited too.it wasnt lighting properly
                the ll wont really speak to me

Comment

Contact the benefits office and arrange to have the benefit paid directly to you from now on in. You can do this as it's your benefit.

Then contact the landlord saying if they do not arrange to have it fixed you will do so and deduct the amount from your rent. Make sure you communicate with the landlord in writing so you have a record of it.

Comment

i have spoken to the benefits and they wont let me change it because i do not have a rent book.
                    the housing officer said i still wont get any priority and i would have to contact enviromental health whivh takes about 6 weeks to even speak to anyone.
                    ythe ll wont answer my calls if they hear its me they hang up or are abusive

Comment

Do you pay your rent weekly? Otherwise I really don't understand why the HB office are saying you need a rent book ... its only for weekly tenancies that a rent book is required by law. I would certainly challenge their decision if I were you.

If you just try contacting the EH dept stating its urgent .. become a pest !! Other than that I'm afraid I've personally run out of ideas - sorry!

i have spoken to the benefits and they wont let me change it because i do not have a rent book.
                      the housing officer said i still wont get any priority and i would have to contact enviromental health whivh takes about 6 weeks to even speak to anyone.
                      ythe ll wont answer my calls if they hear its me they hang up or are abusive

Comment

Mole: A very quick question.Are you the poster with the disabled husband and if I remember small children.Please correct me if Im wrong.

If you are the, LA HAVE A DUTY TO HOUSE YOU I would suggest you go down to your housing office and make a nuiscense of yourself,ask to see the Housing Manager or ring the Chief Executive's office this may move things along a lot quicker.I know that this works because I work for an LA and talking to a housing officer is like banging your head against a brickwall.As for your landlord he has a responsability in law to repair your boiler as he is responsible for the installations in the property
                        Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

Yes you are right .. that is Mole .. I think she has already been promised that they will rehouse her but only when the bailiffs arrive .. until then she has this problem with the boiler and if her LL is refusing to do anything how can she make him do it ?

she is pretty much up against a brick wall all round ..

Originally posted by pms
                          Mole: A very quick question.Are you the poster with the disabled husband and if I remember small children.Please correct me if Im wrong.

If you are the, LA HAVE A DUTY TO HOUSE YOU I would suggest you go down to your housing office and make a nuiscense of yourself,ask to see the Housing Manager or ring the Chief Executive's office this may move things along a lot quicker.I know that this works because I work for an LA and talking to a housing officer is like banging your head against a brickwall.As for your landlord he has a responsability in law to repair your boiler as he is responsible for the installations in the property

Comment

yep thats me pms.
                            i am so frustrated by all this.last week there was a housing association property available,i am top of their list but they nominated it to the council and so i came 4th
                            i cant get to speak to anyone else its unfair.they gave me an interview but say the application for homeless priority will not start to be processed until i go into a hostel and then it takes 32 days for them to do it
                            this system is driving me mad.
                            i cant even speak to an EH i have to speak to some random in the "one stop shop" they then pass on the message and it takes about 6 weeks to get a reply.

Comment

yep thats me pms.
                              i am so frustrated by all this.last week there was a housing association property available,i am top of their list but they nominated it to the council and so i came 4th
                              i cant get to speak to anyone else its unfair.they gave me an interview but say the application for homeless priority will not start to be processed until i go into a hostel and then it takes 32 days for them to do it
                              this system is driving me mad.
                              i cant even speak to an EH i have to speak to some random in the "one stop shop" they then pass on the message and it takes about 6 weeks to get a reply.
                              Mole: I know it's frustrating but it seems to me that they are following the wrong procedures.How can they allow you,your husband and children to spend six weeks in a hostel its obscene especally when your husband is disabled and I assume your children are under the age of 16 then that is priority within itself.I can only suggest taking it higher as I've already advised.May I ask one question,Did you make yourself intentionally homeless (rent arrears)or did the landlord terminate the tenancy under S21 HA(1988).I know from experience that if the landlord terminates the tenancy because he is redeveloping or selling up the LA will re-house you quicker.You could make yourself intentionally homeless under S175 HA(1996) due to the boiler being in a defective state which may put you and your family in danger that is one option or alternativly have you tried CAB or one of the free law centres if you have one near to you.
                              Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X