Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serving a section 21

Hi guys,

I have just served my first section 21 to my tenants and would just like to know if they need to confirm to me that they have received and understand this. Or do I just expect them to move out on the specified date (2 months after next rent date)
    Cheers
    Jayne

Originally posted by jayneypo View Post
    Hi guys,

I have just served my first section 21 to my tenants and would just like to know if they need to confirm to me that they have received and understand this. Or do I just expect them to move out on the specified date (2 months after next rent date)
    Cheers
    Jayne
    No they don't need to confirm that they have received it.
    More important is how it was served by you, and what proof you have that you served it.

You expect them to move out, but they may not.
    If they don't, you can ask them why, but ultimately you would need a court order and bailiffs to remove them if they dig their heels in.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

If they dig their heels in then as stated above you will be obliged to take court action to regain possession of your property. Part of this process will be to prove to the satisfaction of a judge that your tenants have received the correct period of notice by providing proof that your notice was served on the date that you claim.
      If you use recorded delivery or some other mechanism that requires the tenant to sign a document acknowledging receipt of the envelope containing your notice document, the tenant can be clever by guessing what the envelope contains and then refuse to sign for its receipt! So you either take the document with an independent witness, and put the envelope through the tenant's letterbox so that the delivery can be witnessed, or you use ordinary post. Here you post two copies of the notice certificate to your tenant's address from two separate post offices, obtaining a certificate of posting in each case. Hopefully the judge will hold that although the post may fail with one delivery, failure with two independent deliveries is extremely unlikely. Don't forget that in this case you need to make allowance (three working days) for the postal delivery to take place when calculating the expiry date of the notice period.

P.P.
      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
        If they dig their heels in then as stated above you will be obliged to take court action to regain possession of your property. Part of this process will be to prove to the satisfaction of a judge that your tenants have received the correct period of notice by providing proof that your notice was served on the date that you claim.
        If you use recorded delivery or some other mechanism that requires the tenant to sign a document acknowledging receipt of the envelope containing your notice document, the tenant can be clever by guessing what the envelope contains and then refuse to sign for its receipt! So you either take the document with an independent witness, and put the envelope through the tenant's letterbox so that the delivery can be witnessed, or you use ordinary post. Here you post two copies of the notice certificate to your tenant's address from two separate post offices, obtaining a certificate of posting in each case. Hopefully the judge will hold that although the post may fail with one delivery, failure with two independent deliveries is extremely unlikely. Don't forget that in this case you need to make allowance (three working days) for the postal delivery to take place when calculating the expiry date of the notice period.

P.P.
        Hi P. Pilcher

In your post (red) you say a landlord must prove a tenant has received the correct period of notice by providing proof that your notice was served on the date that you claim.
        Our tenancy ends on the 28th July 2010, after which date we require possession of the house. My question is:

On the Section 21, can we write the Date this NOTICE is SERVED the 27th May 2010, even though our tenant will actually recieve it through the door a few days earlier, on the 23rd or 24th May 2010 for example?

We will be sending two notices first class post from different post offices, and obtain proof of postage. The proof of postage will probably read the 21st or 22nd May 2010.

Thanks in advance
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimdunn View Post
          On the Section 21, can we write the Date this NOTICE is SERVED the 27th May 2010, even though our tenant will actually recieve it through the door a few days earlier, on the 23rd or 24th May 2010 for example?
          Yes, providing:
          * The s.21 notices were sent by first class post 25 May 2010, before 5pm, it would be deemed served the second day after posting.
          * A minimum of 2 months notice is given, e.g. expiry: "after 28 July 2010".
          * Any protectable deposit is protected.
          The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Originally posted by tom999 View Post
            Yes, providing:
            * The s.21 notices were sent by first class post 25 May 2010, before 5pm, it would be deemed served the second day after posting.
            * A minimum of 2 months notice is given, e.g. expiry: "after 28 July 2010".
            * Any protectable deposit is protected.
            ...and provided that, if the property is a licensable HMO, it is licensed by the Local Housing Authority.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks for your replies tom999 and jeffrey,

Jeffrey, I'm not sure what HMO means, can you explain?

The house in question is a private dwelling with a mortgage. It is not let through a Local Housing Association.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimdunn View Post
                Thanks for your replies tom999 and jeffrey,

Jeffrey, I'm not sure what HMO means, can you explain?

The house in question is a private dwelling with a mortgage. It is not let through a Local Housing Association.

Jim
                HMO = House in Multiple Occupation - very simply a property occupied by 3 or more persons forming 2 or more families. Some properties of this description need to be licensed by the local authority.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                  pdmalik
                  Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
                  23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
                • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                  wfd_property
                  So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
                  24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                  Manchesterlandlord
                  hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
                  24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
                • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                  wfd_property
                  Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
                  24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
                  KTC
                  "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
                  24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
                • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                  Jcg76
                  I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                  Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                  24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                  nukecad
                  At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
                  And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

In the...
                  24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
                  jpkeates
                  Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
                  Anything else is fraught.

When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
                  Give them the deposit back and you're done....
                  24-07-2017, 20:28 PM
                • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                  JP23
                  Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                  23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
                • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                  jpkeates
                  Unless the OP comes back to confirm whether the charge was pre-agreed and now regretted or simply sprung on them, we're a bit stuck.
                  24-07-2017, 19:48 PM
                Working...
                X