Section 214 - Tenancy Deposit Scheme - what happens if the ll doesn't do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 214 - Tenancy Deposit Scheme - what happens if the ll doesn't do it?

I find myself in the position where 8 weeks after my Deposit was returnable, and during which time I was told I wouldn't get my Deposit back because of the state of the property the LL alleged - because my ASTA started in June 2007, can I go for a 'Three times Penalty' compo order.

My LL did not place my Deposit (two months' rent) in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme account as required by Law.

I issued Termination Notice within the Terms of our ASTA and even got a Reference from the LL to another Letting Agency, but then I discovered - because the LL refused to return my Deposit - that the little feckface should have put it into a Tenancy Depo Scheme.

Now the LL has sent me my Deposit b y way of Banker's Draft.

Can I screw him for 3x as Compo?

No. And using words like f eckface isn't really appropriate here.

Comment

Originally posted by TraineeLawyer View Post
      I find myself in the position where 8 weeks after my Deposit was returnable, and during which time I was told I wouldn't get my Deposit back because of the state of the property the LL alleged - because my ASTA started in June 2007, can I go for a 'Three times Penalty' compo order.

My LL did not place my Deposit (two months' rent) in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme account as required by Law.

I issued Termination Notice within the Terms of our ASTA and even got a Reference from the LL to another Letting Agency, but then I discovered - because the LL refused to return my Deposit - that the little feckface should have put it into a Tenancy Depo Scheme.

Now the LL has sent me my Deposit b y way of Banker's Draft.

Can I screw him for 3x as Compo?
      I agree with 'thevaliant'. As a trainee lawyer (if that is indeed what you are, although your ignorance of the law would suggest otherwise), you should know that you cannot realistically sue for 'compo' unless you have suffered a loss. You have got your deposit back; you have not suffered any loss.

Homework: put 'deposit protection' into google, find out the rationale of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme and explain why yours was a silly question in the first place
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X