Letting Agent misled us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agent misled us

Hi, i was wondering if any of you could shed some light on something for me and where I stand on this.

When we went to initially view our flat, we were told that we had access to a "private" but split between three other flats courtyard. This courtyard we were given keys to, and there are dividing lines for what is ours and what is the other two flats areas.

The letting agency last week decided that this courtyard was now a communal area for everyone and they have put all the communal bins in there for the flats.

There is also now a decrease in security as the entrance to our flat has gone from a big weighted door to a thin glass door that everyone has access to - though that might not make any difference to what we can do.

This courtyard was a massive selling point for us taking the flat and now it has been ruined by the fact anyone is allowed in and there are bins everywhere.

My flatmate said that this wasn't included on the tenancy, but there isn't any mention of the courtyard at all on it. So it doesn't say it is comunal either.

My question is, do we stand a chance against the letting agency on the fact that we are the only tenants with keys to the courtyard door, there are seperating sections specifically for our flats, and the fact that the other two flats were also told the same thing - is that enough? It's obvious that these flats the I am in were meant to have this private communal area (and it turns out we pay an additional £100 a month over the flats that don't) but circumstances have changed and the LA don't seem to be offering any kind of compromise for us.

Ignore the Letting Agent. Your rights are against L who granted the Letting Agreement. Contact L direct to remonstrate.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

'Misled' is a funny word, isn't it?

It always looks as though it should be pronounced 'mizzled'.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks for that but do you think we stand a chance of getting anywhere? I'm not sure if the L can just dismiss all our concerns or if we can actually catch them under the misrepresentation act?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X