Charge for electricity at business rate in domestic property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charge for electricity at business rate in domestic property

I live in a privately rented house and pay my own council tax. There are 10 of us renting houses from him and he runs the houses as a ltd. business. We are all domestic houses with our own meters which run from one main meter in the landlords business name but have to pay business rate electricity. Is this legal? The landlord takes meter readings from us and then sends a bill every six months or thereabouts but we never see the original bill and it seems odd that we are not on domestic rate.

Is your house self-contained?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

business rate can be a lot cheaper....don't know if this is legal though!
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Chassle: why not refer the question to your local Electricity Undertaker? You may have statutory rights to a direct billing, instead of the present mess.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X