Tenant has moved in a friend w/o Landlord's consent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant has moved in a friend w/o Landlord's consent?

Asking on behalf of a friend -

She rents out her house through an agency on a 12 month AST. Her tenant was reference checked and needed a guarantor which was fine.

The tenancy expires in August and she has arranged with the agency to advise the tenant in due course that they won't be renewing the tenancy and to serve the relevent notice to repossess as she wants to put the property on the market for sale.

To date the notice hasn't been served although the tenant knows that the tenancy won't be renewed.

The agency have had a call from the tenant to say her friend has moved into the property as of last week because she had lost her job (the girl thats just moved in) but had found a new one but needed time to get back on her feet. She will be staying until the end of the tenancy.

My friend's agency has told the girl that this should have been raised as a request to the Landlord (my friend) prior to the girl moving in and in any event she will need to be reference checked and added to the agreement by way of a codicil. The agency have told the girl that the reference cost will be £20 (what the company they use charge them, no profit to the agency) and that they will make no charge for the documentation and admin time which I think is pretty reasonable ?

Anyway the original tenant is raising hell and saying that their budget is too tight to afford the £20 and why does the landlady want references when there is only three months of the agreement left!

My friend is concerned that if the tenant's friend doesnt do the references and sign the codicil that the agent wont be able to serve a valid notice and or/ there may be implications if the original tenant vacates and her friend refuses to leave?

She will of course be contacting the agency later to discuss these concerns as they have been very helpful thus far but if anyone had any experience of a similar situation it might put her mind at rest / and /or give her background info to make an informed decision I would appreciate it - its a bit out of my knowledge field!

Essentially whats the worst that could happen?

The tenancy agreement does say not to 'assign underlet charge or part possession with the premises' but do any of these apply since the tenant's friend (as we understand it) is not making a contribution towards the rent.

Regards

Contribution or not, T has parted with possession of part of the premises.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I have also posted here and have received advice that my friend may be better to let the situation pan out?

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2460405

Comment

Originally posted by Moromir View Post
        My friend is concerned that if the tenant's friend doesnt do the references and sign the codicil that the agent wont be able to serve a valid notice and or/ there may be implications if the original tenant vacates and her friend refuses to leave?
        If LL serves notice on the current T, and obtains a possession order, and it is enforced by a bailiff, the bailiff will evict whoever is still occupying the property, whether that is T or T's friend.

It's a bad idea to add the friend to the tenancy agreement, because if a new joint tenancy is created, then LL cannot obtain a possession order sooner than six months after the date the new tenancy commences. The deposit would also have to be re-protected against the new tenancy before a s.21 notice could be served. The guarantor would not be liable for losses in respect of the new tenancy. In short, wholly disadvantageous to LL.

I don't know whether adding a 'codicil' would, in fact, create a new tenancy, but even if it didn't, there is no advantage to LL whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          Contribution or not, T has parted with possession of part of the premises.
          How? T has not given the friend exclusive possession of any part of the property. The friend is surely just a guest?

Comment

Who said 'exclusive'?
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Who said 'exclusive'?
              How can T part with possession whilst retaining rights of access?

Comment

Easy, if that's what the documentation provides. Even a long-leasehold does just that.

Comment

Easy, if that's what the documentation provides. Even a long-leasehold does just that.
                  I meant retaining full rights of access, as in T can freely wander in and out of the room the friend is using, or store her clothes in the wardrobe in that room, etc. The sort of behaviour one associates with having a guest to stay; an arrangement which is generally undocumented. Moreover, there may not even be a spare bedroom; perhaps the friend is sleeping on a sofabed.

This being the case, in what way has T "parted with possession of part of the premises" by allowing a friend to stay/sleep at the property?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lying tenant
                    mazco
                    We had a tenant in our property. Initial agreement was for 6 months from April 2016 but then went on to SPT.
                    In June he didn't pay his rent due on 15th of the month. Chased him and got excuses. On 10th July got a text from him saying he had moved out and left a key under the mat for us. He reckoned...
                    18-08-2017, 12:03 PM
                  • Reply to Lying tenant
                    JK0
                    Hmm. If tenant was stupid enough to leave valuable furniture behind, it's JK0's money in my book.

(Not that that ever happened. All I get left is broken Ikea tat.)
                    18-08-2017, 12:30 PM
                  • Reply to Lying tenant
                    jpkeates
                    The deposit doesn't limit what you can try and recover from the tenant.
                    It's simply a convention designed to make a simple claim easier.

You can't sell the tenant's goods and use the proceeds to settle their debt without their consent.
                    That's the tenant's money.
                    18-08-2017, 12:27 PM
                  • Reply to Lying tenant
                    mazco
                    Unfortunately the deposit doesn't come close to what he already owes. Deposit of just over £1100 to cover two months rent at £900 per month, replacement carpet £200, bath replacement needed, disposal of rubbish, clearing of garden. He 'kindly' left us some furniture which I managed to sell for around...
                    18-08-2017, 12:24 PM
                  • Reply to Lying tenant
                    jpkeates
                    And, of course, this....
                    18-08-2017, 12:22 PM
                  • Reply to Lying tenant
                    jpkeates
                    There are rules about who is responsible for the council tax. And they relate to residence, not the tenancy.
                    If the tenant is in the fixed term of a tenancy agreement, that means they're liable.
                    If they are in a rolling agreement and move out, you are liable.

If the tenancy...
                    18-08-2017, 12:21 PM
                  • Reply to Lying tenant
                    JK0
                    I'd forget about getting utilites to believe you. Just work out a reasonable extra amount to add to deposit request.
                    18-08-2017, 12:18 PM
                  • Complicated tenant issue
                    yostumpy
                    Hi all, our tenant is 5 months into a 12 month AST, rent has been here and there, She has missed the last month, but unfortunately seems to have been the victim of an assault, of a serious domestic nature, and is now in the care of a refuge. She has stated verbally via the social worker that she no...
                    18-08-2017, 10:44 AM
                  • Reply to Complicated tenant issue
                    jpkeates
                    I suspect what you actually want is a deed of surrender (try this one - https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...-of-surrender=)

That ends the tenant's liability for rent etc and returns possession of the property to you....
                    18-08-2017, 11:28 AM
                  • Reply to Complicated tenant issue
                    KTC
                    Legally, doesn't work that way. False statement to induce the granting of a tenancy while providing a ground to apply for possession, you would still need to apply to a court to end the tenancy. And oh, that ground is only discretionary. Any potential fraud by misrepresentation (possibly a stretch,...
                    18-08-2017, 11:28 AM
                  Working...
                  X