Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

responsibility for repairs during eviction

Hi,

I'm in the process of removing my tenant via an accelerated possession order, I was told this was the quickest way to get rid of him, and then take him to the small claims court for his rent arrears after his eviction. He had been served a section 21 notice but refused to leave, and so whilst the court take their time to reach a conclusion I am left hanging in mid air!! My question is, I've just had a text message from him telling me that there is a problem with the boiler, given that he hasn't paid rent for several months and is aware of the court action against him, am I legally responsible for a repair to the flat?

Thanks in advance.

You certainly are, he is still a tenant, you are still a landlord, therefore the repairing responsibilities in the 1985 L&T Act still apply!

Sorry, that was a bit flippant. But yes, you are. It isn't such a bind though because you will need to get these repairs done for the next tenant so you might as well get them done now to minimise any 'un-lettable' period once the current tenant goes.

Comment

Originally posted by alisonT View Post
      My question is, I've just had a text message from him telling me that there is a problem with the boiler, given that he hasn't paid rent for several months and is aware of the court action against him, am I legally responsible for a repair to the flat?
      Yes, you are responsible.

Just be grateful that you have the right to evict via s.21 and bear in mind you need a working boiler for the next *paying* tenant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X